Depression

Aye alright apologies I misread you, I thought you were suggesting people should just tell others to go to the docs and not speak about things.

I still think advice about coping techniques is fine and the advice just to chat . I would hope people aren't self medicating off the drugs that people have suggested but rather getting an idea what to expect. I'm still not sure I have seen anything in the way of advice that would create negative outcomes altho some of the views offered about women were a shambles and unhelpful.

I have done the assist suicide prevention course and I'm a trainer in Scotland's mental health first aid. I would suggest what you are talking about if for people who are suicidal or at the point of suicide. I'm not saying I think I know more than anyone else though.

Sharing experience is probably OK, but it's a minefield. Being empathetic is even to be avoided. Telling someone "you know how the feel." No you don't. If you don't know what you're doing shut up and get someone who does.

Sharing experience is probably OK, but it's a minefield. Being empathetic is even to be avoided. Telling someone "you know how the feel." No you don't. If you don't know what you're doing shut up and get someone who does.

Noted further up the thread, I am a mental health professional, who also suffers from depression.

If people find this helpful- they find it helpful.

Would always advise professional help, but as Keeperdee says, not everyone feels able to.

The most important thing is to listen.

Edited by Theo Snelders

I know you weren't addressing me, but I rarely say 'I know how you feel' - even if someone is going through something I've experienced, I still don't know how they feel.

Surely it's ok, though, to say 'I know how it feels to feel low/bad about yourself'?

Sharing experiences may be a minefield at times, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad - not that you were saying that.

Should we just stop trying to help/understand each other? Surely you don't want that?

Well done to the mods for (apparently) deleting the post where Reynard got abusive there. Was going to report it but someone clearly got there first.

Didn't see that - if that is indeed what occurred, then, I agree - kudos to the mods for that - like his hero, Nick Cave, Reynard has little empathy for anyone.

Well done to the mods for (apparently) deleting the post where Reynard got abusive there. Was going to report it but someone clearly got there first.

I think it must be a cry for help.

It must be crap if u are an internet troll who can find nothing better to do on a Friday evening than go to a thread about depression and try to get a bite because everyone else finds ur pathetic attempts at humour and wind-ups to be so shite it's not getting the desired attention.

If u feel u need to open up lads, this is the place to do it!

If u need advice on better trolling maybe u should start a thread, as the other trolls here are clearly better at it than u are and could give u both a lesson!

Stay strong boys, the help u need is out there

Well feeling slightly up today, after getting some good news abut the situation that lead me to feeling depressed and that. At least now I have a goal to aim for over the coming months and hopefully with the support of friends and family as well as you guys on here I will make good progress to it.

My depression has been triggered by my ex using our kids as weapons to get at me and also trying to fraudulently get credit in my name and also attempts to dump a load of bad credit she accumulated onto me by trying to get one of those consolidation loan things. Its not just that but the whole manner of how she started it and the fact that she has attempted to twist everything around to give some warped impression to people of what was going on and that.

All I can say is the only thing that is keeping me going is knowing that I will get to see my kids again and I will do anything and everything to make that happen but like some people will know the ups and downs of depression can come at anytime and anything can set you off really.

That was the big thing that just tipped me over to feeling this way and well lets say what responsibilities I have been able to dump the now I have done so, thats why I went to see my doctor to get work out the way as I had at times couldn't face it due to the stresses related to it also I have tried to dump as much of my excess baggage as possible by abandoning my idea of getting my own place just now or registering as homeless and decided it would be best to move back in with the parents until I get sorted out. So not having to worry about bills and that has helped a bit.

Also been advised by my doctor to return to attending Binos matches and enjoy myself for a bit also use it to take out frustrations.

Just hope someone on here can relate/understand this.

I think it must be a cry for help.

It must be crap if u are an internet troll who can find nothing better to do on a Friday evening than go to a thread about depression and try to get a bite because everyone else finds ur pathetic attempts at humour and wind-ups to be so shite it's not getting the desired attention.

If u feel u need to open up lads, this is the place to do it!

If u need advice on better trolling maybe u should start a thread, as the other trolls here are clearly better at it than u are and could give u both a lesson!

Stay strong boys, the help u need is out there

The irony of some faceless Jambo cretin having an attempt at amateur head reading in a thread where miserable c***s are group hugging is tremendous.

The irony of some faceless Jambo cretin having an attempt at amateur head reading in a thread where miserable c***s are group hugging is tremendous.

Take your seethe filled diatribe somewhere else.

You're a massive c**t. You think you know what you're on about, be it from personal experience or someone close to you. If that's true or not you still come across as a monumental tosser.

There really is no reason to come on here and attack people who have shared personal things and who might just be looking for a cathartic experience or simply to understand what they are feeling.

You are either are a horrific p***k of a person who doesn't get that people can feel differently to you or you are trolling. Either way you are a piece of shit. It takes a nasty, deliberately sneering arsehole to kick people when they're down. You are a coward of a man who appears to enjoy winding up folk who are having problems. You revel in the misery of others whilst denying that they actually have a problem.

And yes, I am a no-mark/undece/pish poster/etc and yes I am seething/verge of tears/etc.

PM me if you want

That's a hugely simplistic view gman. Being a bit sad and having to be admitted to hospital for your own safety as you want to go to the train station and throw yourself in front of Ayr express.

Noted further up the thread, I am a mental health professional, who also suffers from depression.

If people find this helpful- they find it helpful.

Would always advise professional help, but as Keeperdee says, not everyone feels able to.

The most important thing is to listen.

Can I ask what particular area you work in? What are your views on mental health services in Scotland as a whole?

Can I ask what particular area you work in? What are your views on mental health services in Scotland as a whole?

I work in a medium secure hospital, treating 'mentally disordered' offenders.

Unfortunately not in Scotland at the moment, been in England the past ten years so not the best person to ask about your services up there.

However, your services have good things going for them, like free prescriptions, so folk are less likely to relapse through lack of medication.

Breathing space is a great concept, and the Scottish government's new action plan on suicide seems good. Your NHS is mostly protected from the sell off of services we have down here.

Then there are reports of things going wrong with not enough staff (same as down here btw). I was stunned to hear of the difficulties recently at the main hospital I trained in.

A difficulty that's been going on for as long as my career, is that there is no parity of esteem with general health care. The funds given to mental health services are miniscule in comparison.

Don't really need to be an expert psychoanalyst* to see that ur a tool.

And I would be more than happy to meet u face to face and discuss any issues u may have, no hugging though, as the human contact might be too much pressure for u xx

*means head reader btw