Depression

We've just talked about it, PA. There's lots of help available, but your point is very valid- there's so much of a stigma attached to mental illness that a lot of people won't admit to it, talk about it or seek help for it. The big example recently was Gary Speed's suicide- there was someone that seemed to be successful in his work, financially secure, happy family, nothing wrong- nobody knew he was unwell.

So talking about it is obviously important, but how much can you really do to get people that from the outside look okay to "open up"?

We've just talked about it, PA. There's lots of help available, but your point is very valid- there's so much of a stigma attached to mental illness that a lot of people won't admit to it, talk about it or seek help for it. The big example recently was Gary Speed's suicide- there was someone that seemed to be successful in his work, financially secure, happy family, nothing wrong- nobody knew he was unwell.

So talking about it is obviously important, but how much can you really do to get people that from the outside look okay to "open up"?

There's been a thread on Jambos Kickback about depression for ages - a lot of people have found it really helpful - people can post openly and informally about their experiences, and hopefully help people understand what it's all about,

There's been a thread on Jambos Kickback about depression for ages - a lot of people have found it really helpful - people can post openly and informally about their experiences, and hopefully help people understand what it's all about,

To be fair, if I posted on Kickback I'd be fucking depressed.

I'm clinically fed up. Boo hoo.

Is this not a Partridge quote? About himself? If so maybe the red-dots are misplaced, albeit perhaps the quote was slightly misjudged in this instance.

In my view there is a difference between depression and being depressed. I think being depressed is something that's more influenced by your experiences and your surroundings. A death in the family, unemployment, relationship breakdown etc. Unhappy events that lower your mood.

Depression, to me, is more of a chemical thing that is more difficult to control. You could be on top of the world, living your life as well as you could ever want to, but there is a chemical event that depresses you uncontrollably.

In my personal experience alcohol can be a real issue - either as a contributing factor to being depressed or exacerbating low mood.

It's not anything I've studied, or anything, just a view I've formed.

Depression is a c**t of a thing that millions of people have to deal with - better to talk about it, rather than sweeping it under the carpet, don't you think?

I think it is a very debilitating experience for anyone who goes through it. It can be caused by either chemical imbalances or underlying psychological reasons. It is something that is easy to laugh at but like a stone on your back when you have to deal with it.

Thank you for speaking up.

And before the wise crackers start their shit. I am an ex infantry soldier and have suffered for many years with something called PTSD. The biggest, toughest b*****ds you will ever meet can by crushed by mental health problems. But sharing with others and understanding you are not alone can be a hugely beneficial experience.

Is this not a Partridge quote? About himself? If so maybe the red-dots are misplaced, albeit perhaps the quote was slightly misjudged in this instance.

It is a Partridge quote, yes. I am on the Mobile skin, so I am blissfully unaware of any red dots I may, or may not, have received.

Edited by IrishBhoy

I think it is a very debilitating experience for anyone who goes through it. It can be caused by either chemical imbalances or underlying psychological reasons. It is something that is easy to laugh at but like a stone on your back when you have to deal with it.

Thank you for speaking up.

And before the wise crackers start their shit. I am an ex infantry soldier and have suffered for many years with something called PTSD. The biggest, toughest b*****ds you will ever meet can by crushed by mental health problems. But sharing with others and understanding you are not alone can be a hugely beneficial experience.

I don't suffer from it but I have known people who have. Your's being related to probably horrific experiences will be more difficult but I hope you get through this. It is good that you and sufferers like PA can discuss and empathise

It is a Partridge quote, yes. I am on the Mobile skin, so I am blissfully unaware of any red dots I may, or may not, have received.

It is a pity you can't see the red dots. Your post earlier was a bit idiotic, in fact you come across as a total c**t. Hope you can read this

I've suffered from depression in the past and still get wee spells of it here and there. Its not nice and its more for the people around you that it sucks. I have to eventually just tell the missus to ignore me as I'm a disaster to live with for about a week.

Luckily it doesn't happen too much anymore, maybe just a wee period every 6 months or so but I feel terrible for those who get it worse than I do.

I suffer from it, and it differs wildly. Sometimes I'm a terrible way for a bit, then I can wake up and feel fucking great. Sometimes it can change in a hour, then change back. It's pish. I made my mum cry the other night as I was having a bad episode and she was worried, and it made me feel fucking terrible, like utterly awful, and a total c**t for making her so upset. The next day I was fine, and have resolved to never make her upset again by it. It's also cost me quite a bit, but I think I can see a way out. That sounds dark, but I mean I have actually been better recently with fewer episodes and can see myself getting better and have a plan to do so.