Depression

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Not a great day…the soon to be ex is blowing up my phone with crazy talk, and things seem to be hanging over me…but once again a new old friend broke me out of the slump. Disturbed’s cover of The Sound of Silence somehow has the ability to snap be out of a depressed rut and back on track. Maybe it’s the line that “silence like a cancer grows” that gets me doing something, anything, but it hasn’t failed me yet. That and a cat that comes over for attention and won’t give up! Guess it’s Gnarls Barkley time now!

Bloody love Disturbed.

If music helps you then it doesn't matter what other folks tastes are.

21 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Got to draw the line at Gnarles Barely, I'm afraid. :lol:

Hud the bus, is that Hacker Dog in your profile picture?

”we’re just normal men”

”what do you mean normal men?”

”we’re just innocent men”

Funniest bit of TV I’ve ever seen, and it was fucking CBBC.

By Jingo!

Edited by SweeperDee

2 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Hud the bus, is that Hacker Dog in your profile picture?

”we’re just normal men”

”what do you mean normal men?”

”we’re just innocent men”

Funniest bit of TV I’ve ever seen, and it was fucking CBBC.

By Jingo!

It certainly is, my friend. I was introduced to it last week or so. I spend quite a lot of time on the road nowadays and me and the boy I work with are constantly doing repairs or surveys and customers will ask "you boys here to fix the problem?"

We take it in turns to reply with the exact quotes you said.

Met with much confusion but we are left in peace after that rather than watched over. :)

God bless Hacker.

23 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

It certainly is, my friend. I was introduced to it last week or so. I spend quite a lot of time on the road nowadays and me and the boy I work with are constantly doing repairs or surveys and customers will ask "you boys here to fix the problem?"

We take it in turns to reply with the exact quotes you said.

Met with much confusion but we are left in peace after that rather than watched over. :)

God bless Hacker.

Here’s even more material for you two guys to laugh while you work.

After all it’s laughter we’re after!

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

You get watched over?

If I have people in to do repairs, I just leave them in peace to do it. If they find anything of value to nick then they can keep it.

35 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

You get watched over?

If I have people in to do repairs, I just leave them in peace to do it. If they find anything of value to nick then they can keep it.

Yes. I work in a lot of offshore places and they're rewarded for grassing up each other and contractors.

Edited by Derry Alli

7 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

"K? I live in one? I live in a house not a Kennel... Aw, Kennel! Stupid game!"

Gets me everytime.

"What are you having for dinner tonight Hacker?"

"Goose!"

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2023 at 20:44, V.Aye.R said:

The difficulties arranging time with pals etc definitely gets harder as you pass 30, that's true for most I'd suggest. I certainly experienced that when the guys all got married and had kids etc.

You'll find most people have similar feelings towards how it used to be etc but still tend to enjoy meeting up albeit less frequently. Life just gets in the way. 

Maybe try a squash league or join something like a cycling or whisky club locally. Not too high pressure and can naturally have some interaction with decent folk. 

Firstly thanks to everyone who replied. Sorry for not responding sooner.

Things I like most - snooker, pool, table tennis, running, poker. Varied I know RE to get involved. I’ll see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestions.

On 06/03/2023 at 01:14, TxRover said:

There are always clubs, interest groups and such. Yes, many cater to an older crowd, but not all. Heck, even if you end up in a sea of pensioners at one, I’ll bet you can get a nice chat out of it. The other spot is a live music venue, where there will be lot of people, and some will be far enough away to converse with. A final option is adult education classes, many universities offer outreach courses (not for credit) in subjects of interest like languages and skills.

Given the current situation, maybe I can improve my Ukrainian. Thanks for the tip.

On 06/03/2023 at 11:22, thistledo said:

The gym is a good shout, although it can be a certain type of person and they often live for working out. Friend of mine joined a running / military fitness club, met a load of new people, ends up doing social nights with them. If pool something you are into more than just a general thing to do, there's loads of pool / snooker clubs in Scotland, always found them to be actually fairly friendly places. 

Friendship is weird when you get older, I see the lads I go to football with more than any of my other mates. I don't really have any mates that live that close to me, but we're on WhatsApp practically every day just talking shite. I drink in my local semi regularly, always end up meeting old boys that have a story to tell and play pool with them, I like it as it doesn't need to go any further than a drink and pool, you'll see them again in the pub and i'm fine with that. 

I have Marfan syndrome, so going to the gym will have zero affect on me physically. Although the mental affect will be good, certainly. Thanks again.

On 06/03/2023 at 16:19, Derry Alli said:

I used to live just going to the boozer on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon and listening  to all the old boys stories. They were abysmally out of touch with their sayings etc but some of the times it was just great to listen to how they grew up.

If you enjoy pool, just hang around a pool hall playing and people will start to talk to you, take you on. There is obviously outliers but 99% of pool halls I've been to are decent. 

Failing that, come to Dundee or we will get a few boys from here out for a pint somewhere.

Only been to Dundee a couple of times but enjoyed it. I’ll give you a message when I’m next in and have time for a beer. :)

1 hour ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Given the current situation, maybe I can improve my Ukrainian. Thanks for the tip.

Well, maybe some horizontal tutoring might be in order, eh? Certainly easier to pickup.

If it wasn’t for the Marfan’s, pickle ball is huge these days, and while your reach might be an advantage, the other considerations are a factor.

13 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Things I like most - snooker, pool, table tennis, running, poker. Varied I know RE to get involved. I’ll see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestions.

Not sure where you live, but is there a pub near you that has a pool team? I've found that to be a good "in" when needed.

Went to the doctors on Thursday, first time I took the step for professional advice. Laid everything on the table and I’ve been prescribed Mirtazapine, and got a line for work.

It’s been built up since last year really, work a year ago until Christmas was utterly demoralising. I can’t say much but thinking back, I'm amazed I got through it. Since Christmas though personally, it’s went downhill. I’ve alluded to it above, but there’s other stuff as well. I’ve told my closest friends, and they’ve rallied, and now I’ve had professional help, I know at least I can focus on the future. 

The meds has gave me a couple of cracking nights sleep, even if I wake up with a hangover feeling. Doc did say that was a possible side effect.

It’s cliche, but I do feel like a weight has been lifted. Now all I need to do is tell my family, which I’ll do on Monday. I’m worried, not for what they’ll say, but just me saying it in the first place.

29 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Went to the doctors on Thursday, first time I took the step for professional advice. Laid everything on the table and I’ve been prescribed Mirtazapine, and got a line for work.

It’s been built up since last year really, work a year ago until Christmas was utterly demoralising. I can’t say much but thinking back, I'm amazed I got through it. Since Christmas though personally, it’s went downhill. I’ve alluded to it above, but there’s other stuff as well. I’ve told my closest friends, and they’ve rallied, and now I’ve had professional help, I know at least I can focus on the future. 

The meds has gave me a couple of cracking nights sleep, even if I wake up with a hangover feeling. Doc did say that was a possible side effect.

It’s cliche, but I do feel like a weight has been lifted. Now all I need to do is tell my family, which I’ll do on Monday. I’m worried, not for what they’ll say, but just me saying it in the first place.

Well done for seeking help. Took me far too long to do so 30+ years ago and I suffered too long because of that. Those around me probably suffered more tbh. Different times probably. 
I’ve lived with depression since then. It’s never gone away but you learn to manage it. What I’ve only managed to do in the last 5 years or so is to be really open about it and the almost overwhelming reaction from others has been positive. It’s no  different from having any other form of illness. It’s amazing when you open up and talk about it just how many people tell you they or people close to them have had similar problems. 
The meds will help. But tell your doc if they’re not working for you because of side affects, etc.. They will listen and change the meds. There are normally some side effects but it’s what you can accept and live with that’s important. 
Ultimately, you’ve done the hard bit and there’s a way forward. 
Unfortunately, like yourself, being a Clyde fan doesn’t help !! Seriously, all the best mate.