Depression

56 minutes ago, Yoshi-91 said:

f**k me I am unhappy person. I fucking hate my job. Sick to death of being bottom of the pile. My job is fucking brain numbing. I like the company and the industry it is in but fucking hell I hate what I do. I can see an area in the company I could fill and would enjoy but there is apparently not enough money to replace my position (I don't buy this at all). I sit frustrated in meetings listening to people talking about issues in the exact areas I want to step in and fix. I don't know the right way to explain it, I wouldn't say its undervalued, overlooked maybe? I will on occasion go out my way to do something outside or my remit, sometimes even at home and not being paid for it and basically get a pat on the head and get told (between the lines) to f**k off back down your hole. I have lost motivation, my alarm clock seems to get snoozed later and later as the weeks pass and I am basically just phoning it in at this point, I just watch the clock until I can go home. When I get home I am exhausted and worn out, not from working hard, but just from being so miserable. I look for other jobs but there is nothing going that looks any better than what I am doing. I hate the fact that this feeling just follows me around, impacts me away from work and effects the way I interact with people. I am just fucking miserable. Not looking for sympathy or anything, I just seen the thread and felt it was the perfect way to brain dump this shit that's rattling around in my head.    

DA’s take is good. It’s time to consider if the current company is the one going forward. The first question is “is there another company in the field that might offer a similar/the same opportunity that you see within your own company?”. If the answer is no, then your plan of attack is to determine why you aren’t considered for this other position…because the money answer isn’t it, no matter what they say,. If the answer is yes, then it’s time to start exploring other companies within the field, or similar fields, that might offer the opportunity that interests you,

Since it’s clear the company doesn’t value your contribution outside your current assigned position, you should also ask yourself if this is a company wide phenomena, or just a result of your superiors? Same answers apply as above.

The third item would be consider creating a skills inventory and/or taking some of these interests tests, and see if there might be another way to get where you would lie, to be, perhaps in a completely differing field that actually uses similar skills.

36 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That's a shite situation to be in. Must seem like it's hopeless a lot of the time.

Have you considered getting signed off work for a bit? Would give you some breathing space, even if only temporarily.

No easy answers but sounds like you have to get out of that job, even if it's a sideways or even 'backwards' step. Perhaps you need to approach your goal from a different angle, as it's apparent things aren't working for you in your current situation?

Hopeless is great way to put it.

Unfortunately I can't afford to be signed off. My partner only works part time as we can't afford childcare and we only get statutory sick pay at my company so not working isnt really an option. 

Yeah I have been looking, there's just not a lot going at the moment in the right kind of field.  

24 minutes ago, TxRover said:

DA’s take is good. It’s time to consider if the current company is the one going forward. The first question is “is there another company in the field that might offer a similar/the same opportunity that you see within your own company?”. If the answer is no, then your plan of attack is to determine why you aren’t considered for this other position…because the money answer isn’t it, no matter what they say,. If the answer is yes, then it’s time to start exploring other companies within the field, or similar fields, that might offer the opportunity that interests you,

Since it’s clear the company doesn’t value your contribution outside your current assigned position, you should also ask yourself if this is a company wide phenomena, or just a result of your superiors? Same answers apply as above.

The third item would be consider creating a skills inventory and/or taking some of these interests tests, and see if there might be another way to get where you would lie, to be, perhaps in a completely differing field that actually uses similar skills.

Yeah like I say I am looking else where. The problem I have with other companies is that the one I work for is the only one in a commutable distance thats in the industry. It is a reasonably young company so my hope has been that the role will become available once things have moved along a bit but the feeling I get is that I am being strung along to keep me doing what I am doing as long as possible. 

That might not be a bad idea. I am never very good at identifying where my skills are transferable and somewhat pigeonhole myself so finding a way to move my skills into a different industry might be the way to go.

Edited by Yoshi-91

3 hours ago, Yoshi-91 said:

Yeah like I say I am looking else where. The problem I have with other companies is that the one I work for is the only one in a commutable distance thats in the industry. It is a reasonably young company so my hope has been that the role will become available once things have moved along a bit but the feeling I get is that I am being strung along to keep me doing what I am doing as long as possible. 

That might not be a bad idea. I am never very good at identifying where my skills are transferable and somewhat pigeonhole myself so finding a way to move my skills into a different industry might be the way to go.

It’s trite, but Skills Development Scotland is the kind of place that might help you develop a skills inventory and interest analysis that could help you decide where to consider jobs/careers. Identification of skills, and the applicability of such skills to other jobs is a common stumbling block. For instance, my job was highly specialized and seemed to have no apparently transferable skills, until I read a job description of my job. There I found a whole list of skills that I had without realizing explicitly. You might be surprised reading your own job description, and then reading other descriptions might produce something interesting in a tangentially related field.

I mean, if you are good at sorting plastic dug shite by touch, you might be ideal to do quality control on some assemblies in low light conditions, who knows.

Edited by TxRover

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

It’s trite, but Skills Development Scotland is the kind of place that might help you develop a skills inventory and interest analysis that could help you decide where to consider jobs/careers. Identification of skills, and the applicability of such skills to other jobs is a common stumbling block. For instance, my job was highly specialized and seemed to have no apparently transferable skills, until I read a job description of my job. There I found a whole list of skills that I had without realizing explicitly. You might be surprised reading your own job description, and then reading other descriptions might produce something interesting in a tangentially related field.

I mean, if you are good at sorting plastic dug shite by touch, you might be ideal to do quality control on some assemblies in low light conditions, who knows.

Well..... I guess writing this this morning was written is the stars as I got the sack this afternoon! Don't know wither to laugh or cry. Its a long winded story but the short version is "Its the end of 6 month probation, you are clearly unhappy with what you are doing, we are not willing to pay you more to do it and we are not willing to create the position you want so its best for all parties if we part ways". Obviously there was a lot more detail to it that that but thats the general gist. 

Now stressed at being on the hung heap but the upswing is I don't need to go back into that office and stare at walls anymore. Still need to let it process I guess. 

1 minute ago, Yoshi-91 said:

Well..... I guess writing this this morning was written is the stars as I got the sack this afternoon! Don't know wither to laugh or cry. Its a long winded story but the short version is "Its the end of 6 month probation, you are clearly unhappy with what you are doing, we are not willing to pay you more to do it and we are not willing to create the position you want so its best for all parties if we part ways". Obviously there was a lot more detail to it that that but thats the general gist. 

Now stressed at being on the hung heap but the upswing is I don't need to go back into that office and stare at walls anymore. Still need to let it process I guess. 

Well, the Job Center will certainly help you with your skills, eh? It’s an opportunity is the way to look at it, they were willing to put in the effort to get the return from you as they kept slapping you down, best you found out now.

8 hours ago, Yoshi-91 said:

f**k me I am unhappy person. I fucking hate my job. Sick to death of being bottom of the pile. My job is fucking brain numbing. I like the company and the industry it is in but fucking hell I hate what I do. I can see an area in the company I could fill and would enjoy but there is apparently not enough money to replace my position (I don't buy this at all). I sit frustrated in meetings listening to people talking about issues in the exact areas I want to step in and fix. I don't know the right way to explain it, I wouldn't say its undervalued, overlooked maybe? I will on occasion go out my way to do something outside or my remit, sometimes even at home and not being paid for it and basically get a pat on the head and get told (between the lines) to f**k off back down your hole. I have lost motivation, my alarm clock seems to get snoozed later and later as the weeks pass and I am basically just phoning it in at this point, I just watch the clock until I can go home. When I get home I am exhausted and worn out, not from working hard, but just from being so miserable. I look for other jobs but there is nothing going that looks any better than what I am doing. I hate the fact that this feeling just follows me around, impacts me away from work and effects the way I interact with people. I am just fucking miserable. Not looking for sympathy or anything, I just seen the thread and felt it was the perfect way to brain dump this shit that's rattling around in my head.    

I relate to that a lot, fortunately didn’t end up in your situation. I can’t say I’ve much knowledge here but my only comment is to back yourself,  there was something about you that is an asset and i hope you find a company you can you can utilise that.

Re work.... This might seem like shit advice, or maybe not. I suppose it depends how the shoe fits, but have you considered just "phoning it in"?

It sounds like you are plenty competent at what you do, and going over and above isn't really yielding anything. So just cruise through for a spell until hopefully you begin to feel a bit better. Keep one eye on other jobs elsewhere that would suit.

I moved jobs a few years back for work life balance reasons. In my current work there's little opportunity for any sort of progression really, but the place I am in right now is turning up, handling my shit and getting away to do the stuff I actually like in my time off. 

Stick the work on cruise control for a wee while until an opportunity catches your eye, and seek fulfilment in your personal life?

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Re work.... This might seem like shit advice, or maybe not. I suppose it depends how the shoe fits, but have you considered just "phoning it in"?

It sounds like you are plenty competent at what you do, and going over and above isn't really yielding anything. So just cruise through for a spell until hopefully you begin to feel a bit better. Keep one eye on other jobs elsewhere that would suit.

I moved jobs a few years back for work life balance reasons. In my current work there's little opportunity for any sort of progression really, but the place I am in right now is turning up, handling my shit and getting away to do the stuff I actually like in my time off. 

Stick the work on cruise control for a wee while until an opportunity catches your eye, and seek fulfilment in your personal life?

If you're talking to Yoshi-91 he's been fired! 

On 22/02/2023 at 10:31, Alert Mongoose said:

I think we are struggling with this which, along with a few other issues around health, has left me at my lowest for a long time.  

When my wife and I adopted our little boy my mother in law had said she would help out at least one day a week which was important as my own mum and dad live about 100 miles away. However a couple of things have conspired against us in that her health has deteriorated rapidly and our son requires additional support which she just can't handle.

He is currently on the waiting list to be assessed (they have ruled out autism) but that is looking like a 2 year waiting list.  I've tried nannying services and things like Kings Camp and both were happy to take him on even though we advised he required additional support. Both fell through when they contacted us to say they suddenly decided they didn't have enough resource to support him. 

He is now most of the way through primary two and he still hasn't been in school for a full day yet because they say there are no positions available in the assisted support classes and don't have the resources within the mainstream classes to provide enough support all day. While this has annoyed us I can see it from both sides and I don't think antagonising the school further will help.  We both work full time so often end up looking after the wee one when we have to pick him up early from school and working at nights to catch up.

Essentially the only break either of us get is when the one of us goes to do our own thing and the other looks after the wee one. Don't get me wrong we spend most weekends doing things together and have great fun but now and again you do need a little break as he can be really hard work.

My biggest issue is I have been using the spare time I get to drink to excess (mostly as a stress coping mechanism i think) which then leaves me struggling the next day and feeling even more guilty. 

We have found a local branch of The Yard and that does help a fair bit in terms of giving my wife a break.  

Just hope that the longer days somehow brings some respite and the chance for either of us to get some time when he is in bed.

ETA That's his swimming lessons just phoned my wife this morning to say that a shortage of staff means they won't be able to cover the additional resource he needs. That's cancelled as well now. It never rains...

I've just read that horrifyingly long winded post and it portrays the wee man as some devil child. He is genuinely one of the nicest wee boys you will meet but just cannot concentrate on anything for more than about 3 seconds and is stubborn beyond belief. I've no idea if it's genetic (his birth mum has six other boys all by different fathers and in care now with varying degrees of learning difficulties) or if it's partly our fault for the way we have brought him up.

Apologies for late reply to this.

What you’re doing is absolutely fantastic and you should always remember that. The boy is very lucky. 

@Yoshi-91, hopefully the wanks in that company punting you will be good for you in the long run.

I fancy myself as being decent at looking at CVs and editing them to be more efficient. Have done it for a few folk on here previously. If you wish I could have a wee look at yours and suggest some edits?

Of course you may be absolutely proficient here and/or thinking I'm talking pish (no shock there!), but the offer is there if you wish. PM me if you want to discuss.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

@Yoshi-91, hopefully the wanks in that company punting you will be good for you in the long run.

I fancy myself as being decent at looking at CVs and editing them to be more efficient. Have done it for a few folk on here previously. If you wish I could have a wee look at yours and suggest some edits?

Of course you may be absolutely proficient here and/or thinking I'm talking pish (no shock there!), but the offer is there if you wish. PM me if you want to discuss.

Yeah will take you up on that sometime this week. I have had it looked at before to be fair by a career advisor and they couldnt fault it but its been updated since then and a fresh set of eyes wouldnt hurt. 

18 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

To be fair thats pretty much what I had been doing, I had a few discussions with my boss a few months back about the position I wanted to try move towards. He seemed keen on the ideas and examples I gave but hummed and hawed and eventually said there wasnt the money for it at the moment (basically felt like a pat on the head and "f**k off") so I just stopped and resigned myself the the position I was in. Fast forward to about a month ago and was having a chat with the new HR guy and hes asked where I wanted to go and wanted to do in the future, etc. I gave him a short rundown of what I had already discussed with my boss (the company manging director) and he was very enthusiastic about it and said he would try and gently push to make it happen. Basically what I think has gone on is the HR has fucked this up and pushed too hard and its just pissed off the director. I think hes decided hes sick of hearing about it and told HR just to bin me. In the meeting he (HR) couldnt fault my performance of my job, had a single example of me being un co-operative because I forgot to do a favour for someone because I got distracted dong my own job (which came from his wife who also works in the same office) and accused me or having poor product knowledge, which I completely disputed. When Challenging the accusation of poor knowledge he never asked me to provide evidence, I made this point later after he "made his final decision" and he just smirked. The whole thing reeks of "just find a reason to get rid of him". He did end it by saying that I was clearly above the position I was in and obviously frustrated at being stuck doing a brain numbing job, which is all true. However, I was still doing the job, and doing it well. I wasnt happy, but it pays the bills. He even said "you are clearly just turning up to work, doing your job and watching the clock until the end of the day" but f**k me who the hell doesnt when they are stuck in a crap low paying job. It basically felt like he was dipping into the HR bucked of "lists of reasons to fire someone when you dont have one".

The thing that fucks me off most about it though is that I clearly cared about the company. I worked in evenings and weekends from home when I wasnt required to or even being paid to on tasks that wernt even my job to do, without being asked. I put the effort in and it was never recognised, not so much as a thank you. 

Edited by Yoshi-91

1 hour ago, Yoshi-91 said:

To be fair thats pretty much what I had been doing, I had a few discussions with my boss a few months back about the position I wanted to try move towards. He seemed keen on the ideas and examples I gave but hummed and hawed and eventually said there wasnt the money for it at the moment (basically felt like a pat on the head and "f**k off") so I just stopped and resigned myself the the position I was in. Fast forward to about a month ago and was having a chat with the new HR guy and hes asked where I wanted to go and wanted to do in the future, etc. I gave him a short rundown of what I had already discussed with my boss (the company manging director) and he was very enthusiastic about it and said he would try and gently push to make it happen. Basically what I think has gone on is the HR has fucked this up and pushed too hard and its just pissed off the director. I think hes decided hes sick of hearing about it and told HR just to bin me. In the meeting he (HR) couldnt fault my performance of my job, had a single example of me being un co-operative because I forgot to do a favour for someone because I got distracted dong my own job (which came from his wife who also works in the same office) and accused me or having poor product knowledge, which I completely disputed. When Challenging the accusation of poor knowledge he never asked me to provide evidence, I made this point later after he "made his final decision" and he just smirked. The whole thing reeks of "just find a reason to get rid of him". He did end it by saying that I was clearly above the position I was in and obviously frustrated at being stuck doing a brain numbing job, which is all true. However, I was still doing the job, and doing it well. I wasnt happy, but it pays the bills. He even said "you are clearly just turning up to work, doing your job and watching the clock until the end of the day" but f**k me who the hell doesnt when they are stuck in a crap low paying job. It basically felt like he was dipping into the HR bucked of "lists of reasons to fire someone when you dont have one".

The thing that fucks me off most about it though is that I clearly cared about the company. I worked in evenings and weekends from home when I wasnt required to or even being paid to on tasks that wernt even my job to do, without being asked. I put the effort in and it was never recognised, not so much as a thank you. 

Honestly, you dodged a bullet, though it doesn’t feel like it right now. Any company that allows an employee to do extra unpaid work like that when you are at that low a level is going to use you like a sponge….just wring you out until you have nothing left and toss you away. Assuming it wasn’t just that job that interests you, you will excel at a position somewhere else with an attitude like you have toward self development and improvement.

If you care to share general details on the type of work, you might find a number of people on here might be able to suggest other positions that might be relevant.

7 hours ago, Yoshi-91 said:

I know it doesn't help pay the bills in the meantime but for your health and wellbeing it sounds like you are better off out of it. Hope you find something you enjoy quickly.

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

Honestly, you dodged a bullet, though it doesn’t feel like it right now. Any company that allows an employee to do extra unpaid work like that when you are at that low a level is going to use you like a sponge….just wring you out until you have nothing left and toss you away. Assuming it wasn’t just that job that interests you, you will excel at a position somewhere else with an attitude like you have toward self development and improvement.

If you care to share general details on the type of work, you might find a number of people on here might be able to suggest other positions that might be relevant.

I'm in two minds about giving more detail as simply put the industry the company is in is a niche one and it wouldn't take too much to work out who I am talking about for anyone familiar with it and its hard to talk about what I did without being specific. The best I could say is I had 2 main roles, one was essentially acting as a call centre and the other was dealing with sales of products that involved having prolonged contact with customers, arranging delivery and coordinating logistics. The first part of the job I hated but the second part I actually enjoyed, there just wasn't enough of it. The position I wanted to move into was one where I would create partnerships with companies within the industry that would be mutually beneficial, I can't really say much more without being industry specific. 

4 minutes ago, Yoshi-91 said:

I'm in two minds about giving more detail as simply put the industry the company is in is a niche one and it wouldn't take too much to work out who I am talking about for anyone familiar with it and its hard to talk about what I did without being specific. The best I could say is I had 2 main roles, one was essentially acting as a call centre and the other was dealing with sales of products that involved having prolonged contact with customers, arranging delivery and coordinating logistics. The first part of the job I hated but the second part I actually enjoyed, there just wasn't enough of it. The position I wanted to move into was one where I would create partnerships with companies within the industry that would be mutually beneficial, I can't really say much more without being industry specific. 

Oh man, that skill set is easily transferable. Logistics and customer service/relationship is a huge area these days and there should be plenty of ways to find a job that is a better fit for you, and at a minimum call center experience, while mind-numbing, can pay the bills. There should be jobs filling that kind of niche available, and if you enjoy the customer contact, there are companies dying to find you…too many people these days want nothing to do with the customers.

Been struggling a wee bit recently. Some days are worse than others, especially the days I have forgotten to take my anti-depressant or have ran out ad need to a new prescription sorted (my gp hasn't put this on repeat yet). Away up north tomorrow for a week, so hoping this will help a bit. 

22 hours ago, Yoshi-91 said:

Not an expert on employment law and I know its been destroyed recently but if you have the energy for it then that's absolutely unfair dismissal. 

More generally it sounds like you will long term be happier out.   If you do have a good reputation(hoping your boss doesn't ridiculously smear it) in a small industry that can be a massive asset.  Head up.