Depression

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yeah man, didn't mean to imply otherwise!

I get what you mean in that there's some sort of apparent 'normal'.

One way I heard it described is you have 100 marbles to hold and it feels like everyone else has a bag

On 06/10/2022 at 16:07, AL-FFC said:

First time posting in about a year and a bit on this but past few weeks and more so today depression is kicking my arse and really questioning what's the point.  Had been in a good place lost a good bit weight and just the way things are realise no ones there, my kids don't speak to me (ex made sure of that) and really don't know what to say don't even want to reach out as everyone has their own sh*t they are dealing with and even if I did I don't know what good it would do.

The last time I did speak to a pal the response was "I had depression once and then I cheered up" (I wish that's how it worked).  I lost my sister a few years back and she was the one constant in my life as she basically brought me up and still miss her, spent most of the day breaking down in tears and wishing I could pick myself up but its kicking my arse just now and the only way I am seeing tomorrow is today will be over and its a new day and hoping I don't feel like this.

How you doing now?

41 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

How you doing now?

Been doing good managing to keep myself busy, it had been the first time it had hit me that bad in nearly 2 years.  I know its never going to go away and just finding ways of managing it and unfortunately its keeping myself busy.

Reading some of the last posts, and sorry to read some of the struggles of other posters.  Last week was first blip day in over a year and half, I had been going through counselling some of the things I realised

Its not wanting to kill yourself but there something inside you that you want to die

Its not selfish, anyone that takes their life, its a cry for help but you know others have their own shit going on that you don't want to bother them. Anyone that says someone commits suicide is selfish doesn't understand the mindset of someone that's suffering depression until it hits them.

Biggest thing for me is finding that purpose in life, everyone needs a sense of purpose and what we are living for its trying to discover that. (still not found a sense of purpose)

Keeping active/busy bit of a 2 fold thing again. had been battering the hills although last few weeks not had much of a chance with weather and work.

The biggest thing is finding that inner child again, and just do something that makes you happy bring out that laugh again no matter how f*cking childish is seems to others if it makes you laugh then go for it.

I know a lot of it is finding what works for you and its managing it the best you can but might help some that are struggling. for those that posted when I have struggled thanks for the words and encouragement it means a lot.

44 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

The biggest thing is finding that inner child again, and just do something that makes you happy bring out that laugh again no matter how f*cking childish is seems to others if it makes you laugh then go for it.

Cycling helps me a lot when I need it. And I know the science, the endorphins and all, but it's not so much that, I don't think. I never call it 'cycling' - that implies something to take seriously - I 'go out on my bike'. Going out on your bike takes you to a place where all you need to worry about is gravity, dog poop and the odd divebombing seagull. 

On 14/10/2022 at 16:17, the snudge said:

Turns out after having depression diagnosed for 9 years that alot of my traits are adult ADHD. The doc has referred me to psychiatry for assessment bit she's fairly confident it'll be diagnosed. It's actually a relief and I'm not one for labels. It feels like a weight lifted and explains alot of my feeling. I thought everyone's brain ran similarly to mine. Turns out it's not "normal" but I'm not alone. 

I would be interested to hear more about this, but no stress etc ; as I think I probably am exactly the same. I'm undiagnosed ADHD, too but haven't even thought/bothered to see if I should get tested. Was there a lightbulb moment for the ADHD or always thought it?!

17 hours ago, Kejan said:

I would be interested to hear more about this, but no stress etc ; as I think I probably am exactly the same. I'm undiagnosed ADHD, too but haven't even thought/bothered to see if I should get tested. Was there a lightbulb moment for the ADHD or always thought it?!

Light bulb moment. A colleague in work said have you been tested because his wife has it. He sent me the self diagnostic tool and I was scoring high. Read some of other people's research on it and made me realise that yes it's highly likely. It explains alot of my behaviours and thought processes. 

https://www.adhdadult.uk/

That website was the one I found quite helpful. Lots of useful links and forums.

More anxiety than depression.

As some of you will know, I have suffered from depression since my early teens, I control it now in the most part, drug free, just by talking about it mainly and taking a step back now and again to put things into a bit of perspective and knowing that it is my illness making me feel like this.

However twice a year (because I own 2 cars) I get uncontrollable anxiety. This is triggered, weirdly, by MOT's. In the run up to when the car is due, I start grinding my teeth at night, sweats, a constant tension and no ability to focus on anything. One car is in the garage at this very moment and I am so on edge right now. It's strange because I know I can afford to pay for any repair and do everything I can to fix it myself first. But it's like it's my nemesis, my trigger! I just need to chill the f**k oot!

Writing this is even helping.

On 28/04/2022 at 22:59, V.Aye.R said:

Just a small update from me.

We've had the wee one home for 8 weeks now. All basically normal now, a healthy wee girl. Surgical review was today which was almost a bit of closure on the whole event, was quite emotional which I hadn't expected. 

13 weeks in Neonatal ICU has clearly left a mark on us. Still not a day that goes by that I don't think about that place and all the parents still in there.

Will need to fundraise for them, a marathon or similar. Quite possibly as much for my benefit as theirs, I've still got some headspace I need to clear up. 

Just a small update from me. 

The wee one is nearly 11months now. Threatening to walk already and keeping us busy. A real joy and my daily reminder how blessed we are. Will never lose sight of that. 

The previous post is still pretty valid, more so for my other half who is obviously still processing how fortunate we are. She's finishing up her Maternity leave soon which I guess elevates things a little too. 

Humbled by some of the recent posts in this forum. Hope everyone is doing ok. 

23 hours ago, johnnydun said:

More anxiety than depression.

As some of you will know, I have suffered from depression since my early teens, I control it now in the most part, drug free, just by talking about it mainly and taking a step back now and again to put things into a bit of perspective and knowing that it is my illness making me feel like this.

However twice a year (because I own 2 cars) I get uncontrollable anxiety. This is triggered, weirdly, by MOT's. In the run up to when the car is due, I start grinding my teeth at night, sweats, a constant tension and no ability to focus on anything. One car is in the garage at this very moment and I am so on edge right now. It's strange because I know I can afford to pay for any repair and do everything I can to fix it myself first. But it's like it's my nemesis, my trigger! I just need to chill the f**k oot!

Writing this is even helping.

Anxiety is just the weirdest shit isn't it. It's so often the smaller things. It'll pass man and hopefully the cars too. 

1 minute ago, thistledo said:

Anxiety is just the weirdest shit isn't it. It's so often the smaller things. It'll pass man and hopefully the cars too. 

No such luck, failed and needs further investigation. It should be a case of, 'It is what it is!' And I will just get it repaired. But it's not, just internal rage, screaming and panic, unreal I get like this. I know I won't hit the comedown until everything is paid and the car is back at the house.

23 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

No such luck, failed and needs further investigation. It should be a case of, 'It is what it is!' And I will just get it repaired. But it's not, just internal rage, screaming and panic, unreal I get like this. I know I won't hit the comedown until everything is paid and the car is back at the house.

If it helps it's not unusual man. Hopefully not too costly! 

6 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I am, apparently, terminally I’ll. I don’t want to share details other than I don’t believe they’re right.
I will fight with his like I fought my alcoholism and I’ll be here for a while yet!

Best wishes. This must be a tough time. 

If you ever want to talk, pm me.