Depression

On 07/06/2022 at 22:32, Guest Wieghortsnut said:

Im struggling to beat it, another hq tonight out of pure boredom. Biggest problem i have is I've got the money to buy it. If I was el skinto I wouldn't get it. 

Getting to stay over with the bairns and missus tomorrow night so I havent and won't finish what I got, ive got something to actually look forward to now

Noticed earlier that Wieghortsnut has left out of the blue. I hope he is OK and getting the help he needs. Does anyone know him IRL?

Hope weighorstsnut is doing ok.

Been signed off work for two weeks. Head is up my arse. Ex has decided that I can't see the kids then referred me to child maintenance for the max amount. All despite me having had the kids more than the agreed days and never missing a payment in 8 years. It's brutal.  

On 07/06/2022 at 11:54, Arch Stanton said:

There was someone who used to post on here took antabuse, it's the only reason I've heard of it. This was around 10 years ago so, as you say, probably not prescribed much these days.

It's a long time since I heard of antabuse, it was usually prescribed/administered under medical supervision while in an alcoholic unit, as mentioned it could make you very ill if you drank alcohol on top of it.

Struggling like f**k right now & will be erratic on here so apologies for that & giving the mods extra work. Snorkmaidens mum died just before Christmad & she has not taken it well, I am trying to support her while burying my own issues as they are pathetic in comparison but the catastrophic feelings are dragging me down quicker and quicker. I hate myself for sticking two fingers up to my old career & settling for a no worries job that pays peanuts, but lets me enjoy my time here. I am still stressed 24/7 though looking at the bank balance & panicking like f**k that there will be too much month at the end of the money. I just feel like I can't win & it is dragging me back to the precipice. Sorry for ranting but I just don't know what the f**k to do.

8 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Struggling like f**k right now & will be erratic on here so apologies for that & giving the mods extra work. Snorkmaidens mum died just before Christmad & she has not taken it well, I am trying to support her while burying my own issues as they are pathetic in comparison but the catastrophic feelings are dragging me down quicker and quicker. I hate myself for sticking two fingers up to my old career & settling for a no worries job that pays peanuts, but lets me enjoy my time here. I am still stressed 24/7 though looking at the bank balance & panicking like f**k that there will be too much month at the end of the money. I just feel like I can't win & it is dragging me back to the precipice. Sorry for ranting but I just don't know what the f**k to do.

First thing I would say is that, hard as your partners loss is and you're 100% right in giving them all the support you can, completely burying your own issues isn't going to help as they will continue to niggle away at you. You need to allow some time to deal with your own demons, we all do. Speak to her about how you feel too, I'd wager she's completely oblivious to your own repressed problems affecting you as much as they are, and sharing them with her could make an instant improvement. 

Money worries are always towards the top of a lot folks' problems, but look at your career move more positively in the fact that having remained in your old post would, presumably, have led to you having even more stress in your life than you already do. You can't put a price on having a job that allows you some time to relax, switch off and enjoy.

If making it to the end of the month financially is a real concern, get onto Stepchange or similar who will help you come up with a plan or debt consolidation if required to reduce your outgoings as much as possible. These services really can and do help, non-judgmentally and confidentiality, so please reach out to them if you need to. A boy at work did this and swears it changed his life overnight, and you could literally see the stress lifted off him. Never be too proud to seek help, financially, mentally or otherwise if you need it. Everyone does from time to time.

It's shit when life hits you with one blow after another, but keep your chin up, have a think and try to prioritise things and work through them one by one so that you see progress being made. A clear head and a clear plan can hopefully help you chip away and climb back up.

Getting it out on here is a good start, you'll get there. Keep on keeping on, and keep on posting on here opening up to a bunch of unqualified, anonymous weirdo's on a football forum has its own strange positive and therapeutic effect. Long winded reply, but best of luck to you and fingers crossed things begin to feel better soon.

10 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

First thing I would say is that, hard as your partners loss is and you're 100% right in giving them all the support you can, completely burying your own issues isn't going to help as they will continue to niggle away at you. You need to allow some time to deal with your own demons, we all do. Speak to her about how you feel too, I'd wager she's completely oblivious to your own repressed problems affecting you as much as they are, and sharing them with her could make an instant improvement. 

Money worries are always towards the top of a lot folks' problems, but look at your career move more positively in the fact that having remained in your old post would, presumably, have led to you having even more stress in your life than you already do. You can't put a price on having a job that allows you some time to relax, switch off and enjoy.

If making it to the end of the month financially is a real concern, get onto Stepchange or similar who will help you come up with a plan or debt consolidation if required to reduce your outgoings as much as possible. These services really can and do help, non-judgmentally and confidentiality, so please reach out to them if you need to. A boy at work did this and swears it changed his life overnight, and you could literally see the stress lifted off him. Never be too proud to seek help, financially, mentally or otherwise if you need it. Everyone does from time to time.

It's shit when life hits you with one blow after another, but keep your chin up, have a think and try to prioritise things and work through them one by one so that you see progress being made. A clear head and a clear plan can hopefully help you chip away and climb back up.

Getting it out on here is a good start, you'll get there. Keep on keeping on, and keep on posting on here opening up to a bunch of unqualified, anonymous weirdo's on a football forum has its own strange positive and therapeutic effect. Long winded reply, but best of luck to you and fingers crossed things begin to feel better soon.

Cheers min, it does & continues to do so. I cant burden Snorkmaiden with my shite while she is struggling and I feel guilty af that my issues are that I still have a little bit of money at the end of the month rather than knowing there will always be enough there, I grew up with hee haw & it always motivates me to make sure I am ok financially, the last few years have gubbed me though & I am turning in on myself. I will get through it though, I always do & the fact that I genuinely love my job will help beyond all fiscal paucity that will occur.

51 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I 'managed' to bring down my consumption this weekend - but not by much. People in the pub on Friday were told that basically, we are done. I will not be around and will not remain in contact once about another fortnight has passed. One was even told to forget the money he owes me, keep it and to GTF at that point.

I've my resignation typed up and ready to hand in on Friday. I'm walking away from a £35k basic salary into absolutely nothing but at least I'll not be utterly miserable and just spunking all that money on gear. I have a new career on about £7k less starting in a few months so I'll just fill my time doing agency work and picking up bits and bobs. Me and the missus have called it quits, it's been coming for a while but I said something along the lines of "If I can't see us being married then why would we waste both our times anymore" to which she replied "yeah, I don't want a relationship where you told me you were suicidal and never even got in touch for two days to say you were alive". 

Writing this and reading it, it looks like a multi car pile up but I can honestly say I've not felt so relieved and a weight off my shoulders. I'm at the Dr's tomorrow for bloods so will have a wee talk with them at that point but I'm feeling more positive about everything in life (might not be when I'm hating agency work :lol:) if I reduce my intake by the same amount every week I'll be clean in a month. Hopefully kick the booze for a bit too. 

Onwards and upwards. ✌️

Best of luck bud. Glad you have a positive outlook on things. Remember that PM, if you ever feel like it.

I 'managed' to bring down my consumption this weekend - but not by much. People in the pub on Friday were told that basically, we are done. I will not be around and will not remain in contact once about another fortnight has passed. One was even told to forget the money he owes me, keep it and to GTF at that point.
I've my resignation typed up and ready to hand in on Friday. I'm walking away from a £35k basic salary into absolutely nothing but at least I'll not be utterly miserable and just spunking all that money on gear. I have a new career on about £7k less starting in a few months so I'll just fill my time doing agency work and picking up bits and bobs. Me and the missus have called it quits, it's been coming for a while but I said something along the lines of "If I can't see us being married then why would we waste both our times anymore" to which she replied "yeah, I don't want a relationship where you told me you were suicidal and never even got in touch for two days to say you were alive". 
Writing this and reading it, it looks like a multi car pile up but I can honestly say I've not felt so relieved and a weight off my shoulders. I'm at the Dr's tomorrow for bloods so will have a wee talk with them at that point but I'm feeling more positive about everything in life (might not be when I'm hating agency work [emoji38]) if I reduce my intake by the same amount every week I'll be clean in a month. Hopefully kick the booze for a bit too. 
Onwards and upwards. [emoji3577]

The fact that you feel relieved says it all.
All the best to your future.

13 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Writing this and reading it, it looks like a multi car pile up but I can honestly say I've not felt so relieved and a weight off my shoulders. I'm at the Dr's tomorrow for bloods so will have a wee talk with them at that point but I'm feeling more positive about everything in life (might not be when I'm hating agency work :lol:) if I reduce my intake by the same amount every week I'll be clean in a month. Hopefully kick the booze for a bit too. 

Onwards and upwards. ✌️

That's three really good things you've done for yourself, and none of them easy to do. Feeling relieved tells you all you need to know.

Great stuff. Keep at it.

• 2 weeks later...

f**k, I can't sugar coat this question but I would love some insight. 

How do you deal with someone having a panic attack? Suddenly crying and struggling for air with no apparent reason for it? 

All I could do was hold her and try to calmly reduce her breathing to long and steady until it passed?

12 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

How do you deal with someone having a panic attack? Suddenly crying and struggling for air with no apparent reason for it? 

All I could do was hold her and try to calmly reduce her breathing to long and steady until it passed?

That’s exactly what you should do. Well done.

54 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Hopefully it's better now but they say breathing into a paper bag helps sometimes.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Aye, you handled it as you should have. You can't control it starting but you can help it in progress. Really sorry this happened. Drop me a message off here if you need.

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

You did exactly what you should do, maintaining eye contact and, daft as it sounds, talking the person through breathing in and out can also help.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Hopefully it's better now but they say breathing into a paper bag helps sometimes.

Not the recommendation any more.

As others have mentioned slowing down the breathing is the go to.    One way to do that is to count the breaths in and out, you can raise and lower your hand  in time as a visual aid for them as well.   Slow your counting down gradually until their breathing has returned to normal.

Afterwards, just support them, if they are happy to chat about the cause then do so but certainly don’t force it.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/05/2022 at 13:30, Dons_1988 said:

It’s a really horrible time but ultimately you’ll get past it and realise it was the best thing for you.

On 11/05/2022 at 17:30, energyzone said:

I guess the best advice I can give is keep busy. With exercise preferably. But find a hobby, keep yourself from dwelling on it too much.

On 11/05/2022 at 22:10, BigBo10 said:

It’s hard at the start but of you know it’s finished don’t dwell on it. I did and a few years passed me by without realising I was stuck. I’m not for a minute saying you’ll open your eyes the day after you sell the house and all will be great just that don’t look at what others think or reflect on a failed relationship. The road ahead will be bumpy but there’s always a good place to get to if you keep moving forward. PM anytime.

Barely a couple of months on since I first mentioned how I was feeling and all of this is now starting to ring true, so aye, thanks again. Night and day how I am feeling compared to before, the extra exercise has particularly been a great tip. The last 8 months or so from when things took a turn seem well behind me.

On 12/06/2022 at 18:14, Mr. Alli said:

Onwards and upwards. ✌️

Nice work!

Feel free to DM me anytime you need to discuss how good James McPake looks in quarter zip knit wear. 

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped taking my antidepressants (Sertraline) a number of months ago because I no longer wished to take them. 

They were beneficial in general, but had some unwanted side-effects that I did not want to experience. 

Stopping taking them was not the most responsible thing to do. I have gradually slid downhill. Suicidal ideation, anxiety and intrusive thoughts returned.

Today I have started taking the antidepressants again.