Depression

On 18/12/2020 at 14:41, RandomGuy. said:

No idea if I'm depressed tbh, but I've just pretty much solidly despised myself for the past month.

No idea why it started, but since then theres more and more about myself that I hate. Bad habits I can't stop. Everything seems to be going wrong and I just ignore folk who try to help. Need a break from literally everything for a while tbh.

Back to this stage tbh, except this time the person who unknowingly drags me back simply by being around me seems to hate me too. Terrified to even speak to them about it as I'll do my usual and just make it worse which causes even more of a spiral. Either that or they'll see me posting this and hate me for not speaking to them instead.

Going to be a fun week or so until I get over myself.

On 27/10/2021 at 13:34, RandomGuy. said:

Back to this stage tbh, except this time the person who unknowingly drags me back simply by being around me seems to hate me too. Terrified to even speak to them about it as I'll do my usual and just make it worse which causes even more of a spiral. Either that or they'll see me posting this and hate me for not speaking to them instead.

Going to be a fun week or so until I get over myself.

I can empathise with this as it's pretty much exactly how I've been feeling recently. Came to a head on social media and I've forced myself to take a break from Facebook and thinking I might have to do the same with Twitter. 

Basically at the stage where I'm thinking that getting the virus and having to lock myself in my room for a period of isolation wouldn't be a bad thing. At least I wouldn't have to physically see any people. Maybe it's the time of year, dark nights drawing in, another birthday approaching with zero change in life for the good. As the poster just above said, very difficult to not compare yourself to others and when pretty much everyone you know seems better off than you, it just exacerbates the issue.

Find myself doing one of three things, and have been for the past few weeks. Sleeping, working, drinking. Have tried to get back out running but finding zero motivation, that and the fact that going for a pint seems more appealing then I can't be arsed the next day. 

Hoping the weekend brings some light relief but at this time I doubt it. 

I can empathise with this as it's pretty much exactly how I've been feeling recently. Came to a head on social media and I've forced myself to take a break from Facebook and thinking I might have to do the same with Twitter. 

Basically at the stage where I'm thinking that getting the virus and having to lock myself in my room for a period of isolation wouldn't be a bad thing. At least I wouldn't have to physically see any people. Maybe it's the time of year, dark nights drawing in, another birthday approaching with zero change in life for the good. As the poster just above said, very difficult to not compare yourself to others and when pretty much everyone you know seems better off than you, it just exacerbates the issue.
Find myself doing one of three things, and have been for the past few weeks. Sleeping, working, drinking. Have tried to get back out running but finding zero motivation, that and the fact that going for a pint seems more appealing then I can't be arsed the next day. 
Hoping the weekend brings some light relief but at this time I doubt it. 

I, and I can’t emphasise this enough, fucking hate winter. It’s cold, it’s usually raining, it’s miserable.
But, get through the pish and it’ll soon be better weather etc etc, just a case of getting there.
Comparison is a route to unhappiness. There’s always those with more, but you’ll never know if they’re happy either. The folk have more than us, will look at the folk with more than them. It’s a sare fecht but we’ll get there.

Also, to one and all, apologies for being absent for quite some time here. I’ve kept up the quiz but was away with work and the internet was fucking woeful. I hope everyone is still here and well.

I've had an absolute breakdown today. Was out last night watching that awful football team I support but had a good night. Woke up and the TV is broke, absolutely daft but it tipped me over the edge. Obviously been bottling things up for so long. Probably daft but I feel sometimes I've ruined my life, I work hard, decent job, good mates and things are reasonably good but I'm 40 in a few months, never married, no kids and don't own a home.
Just felt awful all day, offloaded on my mates and felt better for it and think it made them open up about their mental health but it's a fuckin struggle especially when like me everyone thinks you're the joker who's always happy go lucky. Never underestimate what's going on behind someone's persona

I reckon there are lots of people who feel the same as you. But then why does all of the above equate to ruining your life? You sound like you have done very well in life. Seems to be a lot of pressure on people that being married and having kids equates to being successful and happy. It sounds like you have done the right thing by speaking to your mates and it sounds like you have really good mates who are willing to listen and understand.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m in the worst place I’ve been for about 4 years. My wife is suffering this toxic shit and I just want to make it go away but I can’t. 

And it’s harder than anything I ever went through myself. 

The first few months after becoming parents is absolutely brutal at times. All I can say is that it will pass, and when you look back in a few years time, the weeks that feels like months at the moment won’t seem so bad. 
Feel free to drop me a PM if you need to vent to a stranger. 

I'm so fucking angry feeling today and I can't even explain why. Triggered by an idiot driver who went through a red light as I was about to cross the road with my kids on a green man. Fight or flight has kicked in and the feelings of restlessness just will not subside. I'm feeling full of anxiety and rationale has taken a hit. So much so that a car was driving in a pedestrian zone and I just point blank refused to move for it for a couple of minutes. Things like this I thought I'd had a handle on and could let go but today is just shite. Try my best not to dip at this time of year due to the weather and darkness but my head is screaming inside. Without fail always at this time of year my mood dips and it makes everyone else in the house miserable and a vicious circle of doubt and shame pile up. Apologies for ranting but needed to get it out 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

NICE have implemented new guidelines for treatment of mild depression - prioritising therapy and group exercise over immediate prescriptoin of anti-depressants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59383722

While that sounds all well and good, it'll be straight to prescription as the resource isn't there to provide therapy and group exercise.

On 11/11/2021 at 13:50, the snudge said:

I'm so fucking angry feeling today and I can't even explain why. Triggered by an idiot driver who went through a red light as I was about to cross the road with my kids on a green man. Fight or flight has kicked in and the feelings of restlessness just will not subside. I'm feeling full of anxiety and rationale has taken a hit. So much so that a car was driving in a pedestrian zone and I just point blank refused to move for it for a couple of minutes. Things like this I thought I'd had a handle on and could let go but today is just shite. Try my best not to dip at this time of year due to the weather and darkness but my head is screaming inside. Without fail always at this time of year my mood dips and it makes everyone else in the house miserable and a vicious circle of doubt and shame pile up. Apologies for ranting but needed to get it out 

I can relate to this post so much. The bit about the idiot driver rings true as theres a zebra crossing near me that myself and numerous others have almost been hit. However it’s the bit I’ve made bold I can particularly relate to, albeit I’m quite good at putting the happy mask on whilst the wee lass is about. 

Have been struggling the past few weeks. 

My daughter was born just over a week ago and in Intensive Care currently. She'll be OK but its been an absolute roller-coaster juggling it all. 

Dizzy spells, weight loss, anxiety, tears, nosebleeds etc. 

Got some good news over the past few days on progress and the above symptoms disappeared almost straight away thankfully. 

Just a reminder that things can go from Calm to Crazy without warning. Hope everyone is doing ok out there, I'll come out of this a different guy for sure. 

On 11/11/2021 at 13:50, the snudge said:

Ive had similar recently, guy drove across the pavement out of his drive and was inches away from me and the pram. 

Was an old boy, maybe 65yo+ who proceeded to double down and victim blame by getting out his car and squaring up. Took all my restraint not to floor him, affected me all day. Mainly for not decking him but whats to be gained from that.