Depression

1 hour ago, Chicken Wing said:

Met up with him briefly the other week, he seemed ok - his usual pedantic self emoji23.png. He's actually coming down to mines this weekend so will be able to get a proper catch up with the fella!

Still have a place at fives if he wants to come a long. Few guys from here also play. 

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I’m out! And if I’d looked at the weather beforehand I’d have probably made my excuses, so might be a lesson in doing rather than overthinking. 

34841699-D1B4-444E-AF40-AC0192A5F8EA.jpeg

9DFCC185-F5A3-45C8-82C4-2CAC2FEFDA72.png

Just put the deep dishes outside.

18 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I’m out! And if I’d looked at the weather beforehand I’d have probably made my excuses, so might be a lesson in doing rather than overthinking. 

34841699-D1B4-444E-AF40-AC0192A5F8EA.jpeg

Whenever I see Chicago on TV, it is always freezing cold.  I think TV has been whooshing me.

chicago-fire-in-the-snow.jpg

11 hours ago, RH33 said:

Not having the best week. Left a job in May and having tried a different sector leaving it. 

It sucks.

A number of years back I changed fields and got into a job I was convinced I would thoroughly enjoy. Within a couple of shifts I realised I had made the biggest mistake of my working life and knew it would affect me in a mental/stress way so had to get straight back out. Fortunately for me my old position hadn't been filled and my old boss was also a mate, so with my tail between my legs I went back there.

If the job isn't right for you, you're better off out of it. There's more to life than work as they say, and your mental wellbeing is number one on that score. I hope you find something more suitable, and im sure things will get back on the right track for you soon.

On 24/08/2021 at 00:42, Tony Ferrino said:

Sorry for being thick, but is 'depression' like a squashing of your emotions? A numbness to good or bad news, personal or otherwise?

One of the greatest tv programmes of recent times, the Mortimer and Whitehouse one is back on soon and Bob previously described his depression in terms of when Middlesborough scored. He knew he was better when they scored and he instictively jumped up without thinking about it. His instinctive emotions were depressed before then.

Anxiety, (I cant speak in groups of more than 4) is also a huge part, I know, but wondering about the feeling (or lack of) it.

Like a lot of illnesses there are a lot of different types. Some people go numb.

Some people can go from hyper-joy like state of literally bouncing round the house to sitting in a corner punching themselves in the head, daring themselves to end it, without anything external events causing the change.

Others know they should be happy with their lot in life, but can't feel happy and then spiral down about if they can't feel happy when they have it good, what's it going to feel like when it all goes tits-up.

There will be a lot of other types as well.

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, philpy said:

I've lost 2 family members in the space of 3 weeks.  I'm struggling, none of the deaths were sudden, so we were prepared for it, but it's hit me very fucking hard. 

You have my sympathies and best wishes. Bereavement hits harder than most people admit. 

4 hours ago, philpy said:

I've lost 2 family members in the space of 3 weeks.  I'm struggling, none of the deaths were sudden, so we were prepared for it, but it's hit me very fucking hard. 

In a lot of ways it's worse when you are expecting it because you're already down. 

Hope you're ok soon.

On 23/08/2021 at 23:42, Tony Ferrino said:

Sorry for being thick, but is 'depression' like a squashing of your emotions? A numbness to good or bad news, personal or otherwise?

One of the greatest tv programmes of recent times, the Mortimer and Whitehouse one is back on soon and Bob previously described his depression in terms of when Middlesborough scored. He knew he was better when they scored and he instictively jumped up without thinking about it. His instinctive emotions were depressed before then.

Anxiety, (I cant speak in groups of more than 4) is also a huge part, I know, but wondering about the feeling (or lack of) it.

Yes, I would say that would be a big sign of depression. Although you hear some horror stories of people going on medication and feeling the exact same as you are describing. I knew a very nice man who I would sometimes speak to on our bus journey in to town, he told me when he was on medication, he just felt nothing. He wasn't depressed any more, but things weren't funny either, then again he didn't get angry or as frustrated - almost like being stoned without the high, I remember him saying.

Generally a lack of interest in things you used to love doing, feeling dull, etc can be major signs of depression. Then again, I'm in my late 30s now, and I've started to feel a bit meh-ish about things I used to love and not sure if it's a mild depression or just a mellowing/aging. I have just bought my first house, so I am on a bit of a high right now, looking forward to its location, detached bungalow (after 15 years of living in basement, lofts, studio apartments and the current 1 bed basement flat), so it could be me moving in to the 'next chapter' of life, and the general dull/meh feeling was me secretly sighing to the end of my youth? Jesus, that's a bit psychobable for now, but all the best to Mrs F and yourself.

I also know many people who have been on medications and they have improved tenfold. 

Does anyone have experience with micro dosing, or using small amounts of cannabis? I have been listening to a documentary podcast about folk microdosing LSD, mushrooms, cannabis gummy/edibles for depression? Famous case is Father John Misty, who has microdosed LSD in the past for depression. 

Its quite a one-sided listen, so of course its just painting everything as good and rosey, but it certainly sounds interesting. Heard also of small doses of ketamine given to long term people struggling with depression.

Edited by Kejan

12 hours ago, Kejan said:

Does anyone have experience with micro dosing, or using small amounts of cannabis? I have been listening to a documentary podcast about folk microdosing LSD, mushrooms, cannabis gummy/edibles for depression? Famous case is Father John Misty, who has microdosed LSD in the past for depression. 

Its quite a one-sided listen, so of course its just painting everything as good and rosey, but it certainly sounds interesting. Heard also of small doses of ketamine given to long term people struggling with depression.

I have a friend who has just started microdosing mushrooms. I wouldn't say this guy is depressed or anything so it's hard to say what sort of effect it's having, but he certainly seems happy. I'm not sure what sort of dose he takes, but I believe he has it with his tea. I've tried to listen to FJM on it before but the guy is a complete cock and I can't take anything he says seriously. 

I know people who use THC and CBD oil for this purpose too. A few of drops of both each day. I'd say something like that is probably a safer starting point for someone than barging in with mushrooms or LSD, you can use the CBD to "calm" yourself down if the THC is too much and I imagine if you've never used mushrooms or LSD you might well struggle getting your doses right. 

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I have a friend who has just started microdosing mushrooms. I wouldn't say this guy is depressed or anything so it's hard to say what sort of effect it's having, but he certainly seems happy. I'm not sure what sort of dose he takes, but I believe he has it with his tea. I've tried to listen to FJM on it before but the guy is a complete cock and I can't take anything he says seriously. 

I know people who use THC and CBD oil for this purpose too. A few of drops of both each day. I'd say something like that is probably a safer starting point for someone than barging in with mushrooms or LSD, you can use the CBD to "calm" yourself down if the THC is too much and I imagine if you've never used mushrooms or LSD you might well struggle getting your doses right. 

Haha, I thought the exact same about using FJM as an example, as he's a fud but only example I could think of.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had an absolute breakdown today. Was out last night watching that awful football team I support but had a good night. Woke up and the TV is broke, absolutely daft but it tipped me over the edge. Obviously been bottling things up for so long. Probably daft but I feel sometimes I've ruined my life, I work hard, decent job, good mates and things are reasonably good but I'm 40 in a few months, never married, no kids and don't own a home.

Just felt awful all day, offloaded on my mates and felt better for it and think it made them open up about their mental health but it's a fuckin struggle especially when like me everyone thinks you're the joker who's always happy go lucky. Never underestimate what's going on behind someone's persona

I've had an absolute breakdown today. Was out last night watching that awful football team I support but had a good night. Woke up and the TV is broke, absolutely daft but it tipped me over the edge. Obviously been bottling things up for so long. Probably daft but I feel sometimes I've ruined my life, I work hard, decent job, good mates and things are reasonably good but I'm 40 in a few months, never married, no kids and don't own a home.
Just felt awful all day, offloaded on my mates and felt better for it and think it made them open up about their mental health but it's a fuckin struggle especially when like me everyone thinks you're the joker who's always happy go lucky. Never underestimate what's going on behind someone's persona

I think it’s only natural to feel how you feel if you see how people your age are compared to your own at 40. We all do it, we all try and measure ourselves against others, when in reality we have no idea how their lives actually are when the curtains are drawn.

I used to do it all the time. I was 30, divorced, getting my kids half the time, living on my own and in an up and down relationship, utterly fed up with my lot, and it killed me to see people who were arseholes having a great life (on paper), much better than I had. Just had a moment where I thought “They could easily be miserable, just masking it.”

It’s so easy to make yourself the clown of the group, always cracking jokes and just masking how you’re feeling, so it’s a good thing to have opened up to friends to say how you’re feeling.

You’re not alone brer. Keep the head and feel free to reach out if you need to.

19 minutes ago, Adam said:

I think it’s only natural to feel how you feel if you see how people your age are compared to your own at 40. We all do it, we all try and measure ourselves against others, when in reality we have no idea how their lives actually are when the curtains are drawn.

I used to do it all the time. I was 30, divorced, getting my kids half the time, living on my own and in an up and down relationship, utterly fed up with my lot, and it killed me to see people who were arseholes having a great life (on paper), much better than I had. Just had a moment where I thought “They could easily be miserable, just masking it.”

It’s so easy to make yourself the clown of the group, always cracking jokes and just masking how you’re feeling, so it’s a good thing to have opened up to friends to say how you’re feeling.

You’re not alone brer. Keep the head and feel free to reach out if you need to.

Thanks, genuinely appreciate it. Some right good c***s on this site. Some absolute c***s as well but we all need balance in life 

17 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Thanks, genuinely appreciate it. Some right good c***s on this site. Some absolute c***s as well but we all need balance in life 

Aye, but they don't last long on this thread.

Keep on keeping on