Depression

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I bit the bullet the other day and phoned the doctor. I'm now on Fluoxetine. Started taking it on Thursday. However I'm noticing a decrease in appetite - anyone else had anything similar?

That's probably just your body adjusting to them. It can take up to 2 weeks for your body to right itself once you start Fluoxetine.

Don't worry about it. Also well done on getting to this stage. Not easy to do but they'll be worth it.

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That's probably just your body adjusting to them. It can take up to 2 weeks for your body to right itself once you start Fluoxetine.

Don't worry about it. Also well done on getting to this stage. Not easy to do but they'll be worth it.

Cheers. I'm not complaining too much as I've got a fair bit of weight to lose so any helping hand is welcome!

I've never been on Fluoxetine before, I had Escitalopram a few years ago when my Dad died but haven't been on anything for a couple of years. Last year has just taken its toll. Hopefully improvement is in sight!

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Cheers. I'm not complaining too much as I've got a fair bit of weight to lose so any helping hand is welcome!

I've never been on Fluoxetine before, I had Escitalopram a few years ago when my Dad died but haven't been on anything for a couple of years. Last year has just taken its toll. Hopefully improvement is in sight!

I took Fluoxetine for a year and a bit (can't mind how long it was!) and it took a couple of weeks to kick in.

Definitely helped me and hope they're good for you.

Wouldn't recommend quitting them cold turkey though. The brain zaps were mental! Wean yourself off them when you need to.

Supposed to be “. 50 minutes to an hour” turned into nearly 2 hours.
On the basis of today I’ve been prescribed mirtazapine, sent for blood work so they can put me on naltrexone or give the vivitrol shot and a possible completely new diagnosis of bi-polar instead of clinical depression and anxiety disorder. Still got the PTSD diagnosis.

Could possibly mean I’ve been misdiagnosed for years (possibly down to the alcohol/me not being completely honest about myself)

Time will tell

Supposed to be “. 50 minutes to an hour” turned into nearly 2 hours.
On the basis of today I’ve been prescribed mirtazapine, sent for blood work so they can put me on naltrexone or give the vivitrol shot and a possible completely new diagnosis of bi-polar instead of clinical depression and anxiety disorder. Still got the PTSD diagnosis.

Could possibly mean I’ve been misdiagnosed for years (possibly down to the alcohol/me not being completely honest about myself)

Time will tell

Hopefully the fresh diagnosis and new medication help mate and we start moving forward [emoji106]

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know if this is the right thread to post this but if it’s the wrong thread. I apologise for any offence caused. 

I’m meeting some of mates for the first time in 2 weeks time for a few pints since before the first lockdown last year and i have turned down numerous invites since the first lockdown to meet them due to my anxiety and my mental health taking over my life last year. I’m now ready to go to a pub and meet people after the last 16 months i’ve had but I feel nervous at meeting them as i feel like they think I’ve abandoned them for whatever reason or they don’t understand what i was going through at that time. I’m worried i’ll get a negative reaction from i meet them and it’s made me upset constantly recently worrying what the reaction will be when i meet them. I feel like i’ve lost a lot of mates due to how badly i struggled last year and i feel like i’ll lose even more due to suffering with mental health and anxiety throughout the past year. 

i’m just constantly overthinking this event coming up and it’s making me worry a lot about it a lot. 

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Don’t know if this is the right thread to post this but if it’s the wrong thread. I apologise for any offence caused. 

I’m meeting some of mates for the first time in 2 weeks time for a few pints since before the first lockdown last year and i have turned down numerous invites since the first lockdown to meet them due to my anxiety and my mental health taking over my life last year. I’m now ready to go to a pub and meet people after the last 16 months i’ve had but I feel nervous at meeting them as i feel like they think I’ve abandoned them for whatever reason or they don’t understand what i was going through at that time. I’m worried i’ll get a negative reaction from i meet them and it’s made me upset constantly recently worrying what the reaction will be when i meet them. I feel like i’ve lost a lot of mates due to how badly i struggled last year and i feel like i’ll lose even more due to suffering with mental health and anxiety throughout the past year. 

i’m just constantly overthinking this event coming up and it’s making me worry a lot about it a lot. 

1.  They are your mates,  they want you around and are making an effort to spend time with you.  That doesn’t sound like people who feel abandoned. Similarly you making the effort shows you haven’t been abandoning them.

2.  Just about everyone has had a shite time of it, I think the understanding of mental health struggles will be at an all time high.

3. Enjoy your pints

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Is there someone in the group you could maybe reach out to before the get together? 

I'd suggest maybe pinging a quick message to whichever mate you feel is most suitable and just tell them you've missed the company/craic and are really looking forward to getting together for a good catch up. 

You could be honest too and just say you hope you haven't seemed distant, and you've had a bit of a shit time of it. Don't be surprised when you meet that, after a few beers making people open up, that some of your group haven't been having very similar thoughts to yourself. This past year has been an utter shitshow for many. 

Try not to overthink it, just go and enjoy yourself. I bet after a couple of beers it'll be just like it used to. 

On 21/03/2021 at 19:06, RH33 said:

I resigned today.

After ten weeks waiting I was basically shoved back on the roundabout of no one allowing me back. Occ health took that long produce a report confirming I had what was on my line and got my diagnosis date wrong by 9 years.

I loved the job but mom wage 15 hrs a week with no one letting me back has caused so much damage my mental health. 

We live in the dark ages.

I ended up not resigning and started phased return yesterday!

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

I met with a friend and her kids last week at a local park last week. Hadn't seen her in over a year. The night before I had anxiety attack but once I was at the park it was as if I'd seen her last week.

Can you maybe meet with one or two for a walk or coffee before meeting the bigger group at later date.

10 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Is there someone in the group you could maybe reach out to before the get together? 

I'd suggest maybe pinging a quick message to whichever mate you feel is most suitable and just tell them you've missed the company/craic and are really looking forward to getting together for a good catch up. 

You could be honest too and just say you hope you haven't seemed distant, and you've had a bit of a shit time of it. Don't be surprised when you meet that, after a few beers making people open up, that some of your group haven't been having very similar thoughts to yourself. This past year has been an utter shitshow for many. 

Try not to overthink it, just go and enjoy yourself. I bet after a couple of beers it'll be just like it used to. 

This 

and

this.

4 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I ended up not resigning and started phased return yesterday!

I met with a friend and her kids last week at a local park last week. Hadn't seen her in over a year. The night before I had anxiety attack but once I was at the park it was as if I'd seen her last week.

:thumsup2

Really struggling at the moment and effecting my work feel like I'm not getting much done even with logging on late at night to keep on top of things. 

I hurt my back last week so not being able to excerise much doesn't help though its lot betterast couple days. I just find it hard to settle and escape mg watch a film or play a game. I just struggle to focus and overthink. I'm 34 so it's a tough age I guess as me 3 friends busy with their families and they live quite far away. My partner has quite bad arthritis so bit tough not being even able to go walks together. 

There is a running club thing I go to each week slow paced designed for people to feel free to talk. It's good to have that routine but I struggle to keep conversations going I feel like I make a lot of effort in that way but maybe I don't come a cross well or just over thinking. Just would like some sense of community been in Dundee 4 years and pushed myself to go to clubs classes etc.

Excersise has helped but feel like I'm drifting back a bit now maybe I'm trying too hard to be someone I'm just not and maybe just finding way to switch off and be content sitting in the house watching something. 

I reckon must be quite a lot of folk in this sort of situation given how much these days people move about from where they grew up. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of my friends died over the weekend. She had her demons, and sadly they took her away.

I have been through what she went through and come out the other side. I can't believe that this funny, kind young woman is gone.

It sounds silly, but I can't help thinking that if I had been a better friend then she might still be alive.

19 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

One of my friends died over the weekend. She had her demons, and sadly they took her away.

I have been through what she went through and come out the other side. I can't believe that this funny, kind young woman is gone.

It sounds silly, but I can't help thinking that if I had been a better friend then she might still be alive.

It's only natural to feel that way, but self loathing won't do any good. I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, but I'm sure she'd want you to stay strong. It's ok to feel sad, but don't beat yourself up for something that isn't in your control.

On 03/04/2021 at 22:33, Gaz said:

I bit the bullet the other day and phoned the doctor. I'm now on Fluoxetine. Started taking it on Thursday. However I'm noticing a decrease in appetite - anyone else had anything similar?

How did you get on brother? I actually put on a few pounds when I went on flux for a brief bit. Also felt ectoed constantly anaw.

52 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

It's only natural to feel that way, but self loathing won't do any good. I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, but I'm sure she'd want you to stay strong. It's ok to feel sad, but don't beat yourself up for something that isn't in your control.

Thank you.

I haven't cried because it still feels unreal to me, because Iast time I met her was a few weeks ago and she seemed like she was doing well. She was back living with her mum but had secured her own place which needed some work done on it, and was looking forward to moving in.

She had a young daughter who she was so proud of, and her mum and sisters were really important to her. I feel really sorry for her family.

I actually have a really funny memory of her from a couple of years ago that I keep thinking about and laughing. It's the thing I will always remember about her - because it showed her kindness, her daftness and ability to make me laugh.

My car wouldn't start so she offered to jumpstart it for me, and came down with her car. She parked in front of my car, connected it all up, and got into her car.

However, she had left her car in gear so it jumped forwards, grazed my front bumper (leaving a big scratch) and then bumped into a tree. 

She was mortified, and I should have probably been angry for the big scratch on my car, but I could barely stand upright for laughing. The situation was comical and one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Looks like I’ll be posted missing for a wee while. Things are pretty rough right now so it looks like I’ll have to spend a wee while in residential treatment again

10 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Looks like I’ll be posted missing for a wee while. Things are pretty rough right now so it looks like I’ll have to spend a wee while in residential treatment again

f**k, sorry to hear that RN. Hope it all works out for you & remember you have support from a lot of us on here, if you need to shout, don't hesitate.

18 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I’ve been through similar. Back in 2017 I’d spent a couple of months battling back from a really dark place and found myself on the way up when what felt like out of nowhere a long term friend took his own life. 

I spent 18 months battering myself for not being a friend whilst I was focusing on my own issues. That 18 months really did nearly break me. 

You may not be feeling as I did but monitor those feelings of guilt and don’t underestimate them. Look after yourself and make sure you have folk you can talk to if it gets worse. Include myself in that if you ever felt it was needed.