Depression

With medication for anxiety and depression I was a bit like the posters above. Feeling it masked the problem but what it does is clears the fog a little in order to address the situation. I originally said no but the doc stated that if I had a heart condition I'd take medicine for it combined with some lifestyle changes so why feel different about your brain? It just kind of evens you out.

It's not a solution but can work effectively with other methods of coping such as counselling, cognitive behaviour therapy etc. It can take a shift in lifestyle choices aswell. Eating healthier, exercising, meditating 

But of course it is the choice of the individual.

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Ive had mini breakdowns in work that required me to remove myself from the backup for a wee while, just dealing with the same shit from the same people day after day after day is

The yesterday's announcement just removed what little hope and encouragement i had left in me to the point now where im beginning to think this will never end

Relating to this. How did your employer deal with it?

At our place theres been a few people off, ostensibly with physical symptoms, but I reckon the lockdown has contributed massively to stress over the last year. Hopefully we're nearly there, it will end.

58 minutes ago, the snudge said:

With medication for anxiety and depression I was a bit like the posters above. Feeling it masked the problem but what it does is clears the fog a little in order to address the situation. I originally said no but the doc stated that if I had a heart condition I'd take medicine for it combined with some lifestyle changes so why feel different about your brain? It just kind of evens you out.

It's not a solution but can work effectively with other methods of coping such as counselling, cognitive behaviour therapy etc. It can take a shift in lifestyle choices aswell. Eating healthier, exercising, meditating 

But of course it is the choice of the individual.

Thing is, in my case, obviously not sure of others, i can address the situation the now, its the feeling of being trapped in the same never ending routine, theres no breakup of going to work, going home, going to work, going home

Also i dont think im depressed, i still have it in me to get on with things (albeit feeling down about it) i still communicate with people etc

2 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Relating to this. How did your employer deal with it?

At our place theres been a few people off, ostensibly with physical symptoms, but I reckon the lockdown has contributed massively to stress over the last year. Hopefully we're nearly there, it will end.

Employer didnt really know anything, i was in the backup, started losing it, throwing stuff around at having to deal with the same shit all the time, decided to walk out to the yard and work there for an hour instead to cool off

Theres defo an atmosphere in our work though, we've worked alk through the pandemic, so i think everyone is now at the end of their tether, especially the full time workers, you can see people being less talkative, less receptive to jokes, etc, its affecting everyone

Regarding medication, I’ve had years of therapy on and off when something had needed ‘therapied’ and through that learned cbt and dbt.

However without daily medication as a fairly high dose things start to unravel, we’ve tried lowering it three times in 18 months and twice it ended with me in dykebar.

hey you diabetic, stop taking your insulin!!

9 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Employer didnt really know anything, i was in the backup, started losing it, throwing stuff around at having to deal with the same shit all the time, decided to walk out to the yard and work there for an hour instead to cool off

Theres defo an atmosphere in our work though, we've worked alk through the pandemic, so i think everyone is now at the end of their tether, especially the full time workers, you can see people being less talkative, less receptive to jokes, etc, its affecting everyone

Exactly the same at our place. Tough times indeed. I'd bite your hand off for furlough. 

Next week guy leaving my work is exposing all the shit that's been going on at leaving interview. If that's unsuccessful hes contacting ceo.

Racism, sexism, bullying, promoting pals and messing people about for kicks. Really hope this makes a change but I feel hr or at least the head of hr was toxic as well. Their turnover is half the department every year.

Still looking elsewhere and found one or two but the money was awful. 

On topic we were addressed at a meeting and told that the mental health app was apparently a load of shite and that our manager had to ask us if we were using it rather than actually caring about us. Same time exposing me indirectly by saying that someone had come to him and laid into him with problems. Obviously no names mentioned but it just plays into petty games and changing around reality. Place is a toxic hellhole and senior management don't even acknowledge we exist most of the time other than to play PR bollocks if it promotes their standing.

This is why I don't think this guy exposing it all will do much but if they ignore racism it's a massive legal minefield. Believe it or not there's also other things even worse than that but it's a nuclear option that would result in scandal and imo jail time for several execs. I honestly can't believe they're doing what they're doing and it's not even hidden. 

2 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Exactly the same at our place. Tough times indeed. I'd bite your hand off for furlough. 

Im glad im still working, but i badly need a release like playing football, few games of pool etc

Theres times where i refuse a lift home and go for the bus instead, put my headphones on and try chill out for an hour and listen to music

But that only goes so far, 

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Im glad im still working, but i badly need a release like playing football, few games of pool etc

Theres times where i refuse a lift home and go for the bus instead, put my headphones on and try chill out for an hour and listen to music

But that only goes so far, 

True. Things were pretty good at our place until very recently. I think it was the combination of lockdown (no way to get a release like you say, nothing to look forward to) stress (a lot of people being off, self-isolating etc leading to increased workload), pressure at home and the shit weather.

People's irritating behaviours that you could previously overlook seem worse. Theres nothing to have a laugh and joke about.

When it goes back to "normal" people like us might be burnt out. Those on furlough might have a problem dealing with their situation as well, suddenly being on crowded trains, busy workplaces etc.

It's going to be tough for a lot of people.

Good idea with the headphones on the bus. My equivalent is listening to oldies music channels on the car for the drive home. Whatever works eh? Although I'm finding happy, upbeat songs really annoying at the moment 😆

5 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

5 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

I'm in the same boat as you guys and have felt the exact same way, as do many of my colleagues. My situation at home has not been enjoyable either, my flat mate has probably been the most depressed he's ever been and unemployed throughout. My mate passed away last year unexpectedly too and only in the last week or so have I felt that I've started to come out the other side of it. With all of that shit going on I felt I couldn't ever clear my head, I was going to work and dealing with shit, coming home to tense atmosphere and I was probably using cannabis too much. Like you, it feels like it will never end, there were times I didn't want to go home at all as I knew I'd just sit there and think about going back to work. 

I wouldn't say my work situation is improving, however I am now more perplexed at the management of the place than I am worried about anything. I'm doing all I can and if that's not good enough then so be it. My flat mate has found a new place and will be moving soon which has given me a bit of a lift, it'll be nice to get my own space back. The vaccine news coming out on a daily basis is also now boosting my mood and thankfully our FM has acknowledged that an end is in sight. I don't know if this is morbid or not but knowing that soon I'll be able to sit round a pub table with my friends and talk about my pal who passed away is giving me bit of strength. I think it's a bit morbid that I'm looking forward to sitting round a table talking about how much I miss my best mate and probably bawling my eyes out, but that's how I feel right now. 

Try and stick it out folks, we're nearly there.

Regarding medication, I’ve had years of therapy on and off when something had needed ‘therapied’ and through that learned cbt and dbt.
However without daily medication as a fairly high dose things start to unravel, we’ve tried lowering it three times in 18 months and twice it ended with me in dykebar.
hey you diabetic, stop taking your insulin!!

100% This. If my depression and/or anxiety requires medication either now or in the future, then that’s the case. As long as it’s properly monitored and maintained, changed if necessary.

I’ve come to the realisation that I’ll probably need some sort of ongoing treat for life for the alcoholism and I regard that the same way. If I had a heart condition I’d be getting the necessary treatment, my alcoholism is just as likely to prove fatal.

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Within the last ten years, I have attempted to take my own life multiple times and taken periods of time away from work due to depression and anxiety.

As recently as three years ago, I had no plans for the future or ambitions because I saw no point in living. I felt that I had wasted my life anyway, as I was in my late-20s and didn't have much to show for it.

Today I had a university interview for Mental Health Nursing. That's what I want to do, and I believe that I have a lot to offer that profession.

I might not even get into uni, but at least my mental health has improved enough for me to have ambitions.

If you have the same lack of direction, or feel that your life isn't worth living, hang in there. It's never too late to do what you want to do.

I’m similar to you and had my interview in December!

I’m not going be able to take a place this year if offered for various reasons.

5 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Within the last ten years, I have attempted to take my own life multiple times and taken periods of time away from work due to depression and anxiety.

As recently as three years ago, I had no plans for the future or ambitions because I saw no point in living. I felt that I had wasted my life anyway, as I was in my late-20s and didn't have much to show for it.

Today I had a university interview for Mental Health Nursing. That's what I want to do, and I believe that I have a lot to offer that profession.

I might not even get into uni, but at least my mental health has improved enough for me to have ambitions.

If you have the same lack of direction, or feel that your life isn't worth living, hang in there. It's never too late to do what you want to do.

Thanks for sharing, I am very glad that you are here.

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

I’m similar to you and had my interview in December!

I’m not going be able to take a place this year if offered for various reasons.

That's a shame. I hope you can take a place in the future. 👍

4 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

Thanks for sharing, I am very glad that you are here.

It hasn't always been the case, but so am I. 

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

That's a shame. I hope you can take a place in the future. 👍

It hasn't always been the case, but so am I. 

Fingers crossed, I promised my son if o had a bad spell I wouldn’t do it. But, and I know we have the vaccine now, but if schools were to shut or more after care services again I’d have significant childcare issues. So if I can I will defer if offered.

First decent day in a long time so I’m at the park with my granddaughter. I’m feeling absolutely destroyed listening to all the cry’s of “daddy” etc. because I never had kids, just stepdaughters who were all virtually adults.
I hate this.

Taking stock of things recently. Priority is finding a job, had interview last week. Fingers crossed. Graduated last year and job fell through, been trying to find something but having no experience is a bugger. I have even asked for work experience or shadowing just have a bit of experience. Feel like I can move on until I get job.

First decent day in a long time so I’m at the park with my granddaughter. I’m feeling absolutely destroyed listening to all the cry’s of “daddy” etc. because I never had kids, just stepdaughters who were all virtually adults.
I hate this.

The man who is the biological reason I am here played no part in my life. My dad is the man who brought me up. Bought me my first suit, first pint etc. etc. I’m now a dad to two and he is their papa. He always will be. Biology does not make a difference. You’re at the park with your granddaughter. Same as my dad goes to the park with his granddaughter and grandson. You’re a mainstay of her life and such an important part of it. Don’t underestimate how much you mean, how much you influence, how much you influence and how much you matter.