Depression

I know I live in a place where it snows a lot but the first proper snowfall of the year (which happened yesterday) always gets me down.  Coupled with COVID  fatigue and work being really busy and stressful I've had a rough couple of days.  Yesterday in particular I knew I had some stuff to do around the house but I just couldn't bring myself to do anything.  Hopefully today will be a better day.

Been a really rough past few months. Lost my gran six weeks ago and my papa passed away last Monday. The wife and myself have split and im currently unemployed. Was taking my dad in and out of Larbert hospital as they found a shadow on his lung which fortunately Wasn't Cancer but he's to go back in 3 months as they don't want to drain the fluid in his lung at this point. I'm sleeping pretty much most of the day and sitting up most of the early hours of the morning and I cant shake myself out of it. I have my papas funeral on Friday and my wife who has moved out is coming to it as I had asked her to but not sure if its the right thing to do. I've had thoughts of ending it but I won't as I know I have family and friends who care about me but I just can't get the niggling thoughts out my head.

16 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Does anyone know of any apps, without ads, that track the number of days you go without a drink?

I've been in denial about my drinking this year. I used to go weeks, sometimes months, without having a drink, but since January I've been drinking every single week. The vast majority of the time it's only been once a week, but this week it was twice. I was off Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week, so drank on Thursday night, but on Saturday was actually feeling an urge to do it, and eventually gave in.

Sick of it now, and have been denying that it's becoming an issue, but the urges are happening each week now. It isn't every day, but it is every Friday or Saturday (depending on what day I usually do it). I dread to think how much money I've spent on it, because it isn't just a few drinks, it's usually 15-16 beers.

I need cut it the f**k out.

It doesn't count the days for you, but try this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kick-Drink-Easily-Jason-Vale/dp/1845903900/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=kick+the+drink+easily+jason+vale&qid=1606193680&sprefix=kick+th&sr=8-1

Yeah I know it sounds cheesy and crap. Its actually a well written and in parts very funny book. Which changed my life completely.

I bought this for a family member, who didn't want it. So I ended up reading it myself. To try to get some insight.

Turns out alot of the habits described applied to me.  And would apply to alot of people im sure. So it was kind of a wake up moment for me. I was on a path, I just didn't know it. Or was in denial. 

Nearly 5 years without alcohol now, never felt better and couldn't imagine ever drinking again. 

If you don't want to pay £10.99 pm me and ill post you my old copy. Seriously.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

Does anyone know of any apps, without ads, that track the number of days you go without a drink?
I've been in denial about my drinking this year. I used to go weeks, sometimes months, without having a drink, but since January I've been drinking every single week. The vast majority of the time it's only been once a week, but this week it was twice. I was off Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week, so drank on Thursday night, but on Saturday was actually feeling an urge to do it, and eventually gave in.
Sick of it now, and have been denying that it's becoming an issue, but the urges are happening each week now. It isn't every day, but it is every Friday or Saturday (depending on what day I usually do it). I dread to think how much money I've spent on it, because it isn't just a few drinks, it's usually 15-16 beers.
Get a calender on the wall.

13 hours ago, harkinsbaldpatch said:

Been a really rough past few months. Lost my gran six weeks ago and my papa passed away last Monday. The wife and myself have split and im currently unemployed. Was taking my dad in and out of Larbert hospital as they found a shadow on his lung which fortunately Wasn't Cancer but he's to go back in 3 months as they don't want to drain the fluid in his lung at this point. I'm sleeping pretty much most of the day and sitting up most of the early hours of the morning and I cant shake myself out of it. I have my papas funeral on Friday and my wife who has moved out is coming to it as I had asked her to but not sure if its the right thing to do. I've had thoughts of ending it but I won't as I know I have family and friends who care about me but I just can't get the niggling thoughts out my head.

Terrible time but you've got to stay strong for your Dad, he needs you.

6 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

I can down a litre of Whisky in a day. The day after I do that I’m crawling in a fetal position worrying about everything. 
Then I feel fine and do it again.

A bottle and a half of whisky/gin/vodka every other day is fucking madness, mate.  I like a drink but it's pretty-much impossible to function well at that level of intake.- especially if you have work/kids.

Despite my reputation I actually know when to stop and am well aware of when having a decent drink rolls over in to being a problem.  I'm also well aware of how needing/wanting a few drams to improve your mood can be destructive.

A fair few others on here have been where you are so keep posting.  You won't be judged and you're on the right thread.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

A bottle and a half of whisky/gin/vodka every other day is fucking madness, mate.  I like a drink but it's pretty-much impossible to function well at that level of intake.- especially if you have work/kids.

Despite my reputation I actually know when to stop and am well aware of when having a decent drink rolls over in to being a problem.  I'm also well aware of how needing/wanting a few drams to improve your mood can be destructive.

A fair few others on here have been where you are so keep posting.  You won't be judged and you're on the right thread.

Ok, cheers bud.

I would very much second this.

Just one step at a time, mate. That's how you get through these things.

Make a decision if you do want your wife to attend the funeral and stick to it. Then focus on the funeral itself, and help your dad as much as you can. Let him help you, too.

Just take things one at a time, and try not to put everything together.

That’s a rough time indeed mate, and I’m sorry to hear. Feel free to ignore me from here because I’m not in your position but control what you can...the job, look at getting another a job as a job in itself. Spend the time you’d spend working to find a new job. Stick at and you’ll get something I’m sure. Try and get your days back on track, break the chain and just get up early, force yourself. Be active through the day and do what you can to sleep at night.
Remember you have those family and friends who do care and you can talk to them. There’s no shame in struggling with all that on your plate. Keep the chin up and I hope the old man is okay.

I’ve been here. I cut it out completely in when lockdown started in March. For me it lead to other bad decisions that just made everything worse...decisions I’m still paying for now but it’s okay, I can’t go back in time and change things so we’ll get there. I’m back drinking now but once a week at most and far from the extent I was which is where I wanted to be. Enough of my rambling, I had a quick loop and my App Store has a few, I Am Sober, Sober Today, I Can and Quit That all seem to have daily trackers and some offer wee bits of motivation and that. Hopefully one of those is half decent.
For anyone, if you think you have a drink (or drugs, gambling, smoking) problem then you do. Maybe not as extreme as you’re worried or as others but if it’s playing on your mind it’s a problem. Keep the faith mate, don’t worry if you fall off the wagon, we all have setbacks, all about “going again”. Best of luck man.

• 4 weeks later...

No idea if I'm depressed tbh, but I've just pretty much solidly despised myself for the past month.

No idea why it started, but since then theres more and more about myself that I hate. Bad habits I can't stop. Everything seems to be going wrong and I just ignore folk who try to help. Need a break from literally everything for a while tbh.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No idea if I'm depressed tbh, but I've just pretty much solidly despised myself for the past month.

No idea why it started, but since then theres more and more about myself that I hate. Bad habits I can't stop. Everything seems to be going wrong and I just ignore folk who try to help. Need a break from literally everything for a while tbh.

No need to label yourself as 'depressed' or whatever. You're feeling something that needs addressed, whether you recognise that as an illness or not.

Self loathing is probably the most destructive attribute I've got, you've got to be really careful with it. Don't underestimate it. If you feel the need to take a step back from things then do it, and if you want to articulate things in more detail then everyone in this thread is sound.

I know I can be a c**t talking football but would be genuinely interested to listen if you wanted it. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Doubt it'll help much mate but now is as good a time as any to say I really enjoy all your xG and stat analysis, even though its about St Johnstone. Would love to see that about Hibs.

But sometimes having a break and just switching off from everything helps. Hope you're feeling happier soon.

Self loathing is a serious issue, and this time of year won’t help.
I’ve been much better this year and in general. Even bashing my head open hasn’t sent me into a negative spiral like it would have done before. Maybe I’ve finally learned to live with myself and be thankful for what I’ve got.

I’m happy to talk to anyone via pm if you want to reach out.

Guest bernardblack

Not sure if it’ll help, but I took a break from social media (apart from here) and found I stopped comparing myself to everyone else...at their best.

You can get through it [emoji1303]