Depression

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I must admit the idea of spending the vast majority of my time in the home over a matter of months gives me a bit of fear.

I know it's not the most important thing to worry about in a pandemic but some difficult days to come.

Same here, i've felt my anxiety levels and ocd rising up a few notches, normally playing football twice a week is my therapy but thats stopped for the time being, my old mum isn't the healthiest its certainly having an impact on my mental health, living abroad at times like these is difficult. 

Luckily i work outside and that is helping for now but who knows what's around the corner. 

Hang in there mate. 

Now set up to and will be working from home for the foreseeable. I’ve been fighting (but failing) to stave off a bit of a breakdown recently. I really amn’t looking forward to being on my own all day every day. Weighing up the option of going down to Fife but logistically it’s a hassle and I’d be staying with my mum and step dad who are both high risk.
I do appreciate that I’m lucky I have this option and can still work and get paid but I’m worried it’s going to be crushingly lonely.

First day working from home today.

Feel totally empty, it sounds so pathetic compared to the issues others on here are going through - but I’m struggling without the “normal” work routine/banter, the fitba and the being able to go to the pub - such a big part of my life day to day.. Lucky to have a job and I know that’s the mindset I need to be in, but I’m struggling with the concept of only seeing these four walls for the foreseeable. I haven’t taken any leave this year, but if I do now then I’ll just be at home anyway without logging on remotely.

I also need to stop reading Twitter and searching for worst case scenarios - both me and my wife are lucky to have reasonably secure jobs, but I read “18 months of lockdown” and I can’t imagine how we’ll have our jobs at the end of it.

Feels like this is already having an overwhelming impact on my mental health. It isn’t really like me as I usually thrive upon the positive and get on with it.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

Guest Moomintroll
Now set up to and will be working from home for the foreseeable. I’ve been fighting (but failing) to stave off a bit of a breakdown recently. I really amn’t looking forward to being on my own all day every day. Weighing up the option of going down to Fife but logistically it’s a hassle and I’d be staying with my mum and step dad who are both high risk.
I do appreciate that I’m lucky I have this option and can still work and get paid but I’m worried it’s going to be crushingly lonely.
Try to keep the chin up wellyheid, a lot of people will be feeling the same way. Don't know your work situation but if you can, take every opportunity to phone others, sort the work stuff then have a general chinwag. It won't affect productivity as that is what usually happens in offices anyway.

First day working from home today.

Feel totally empty, it sounds so pathetic compared to the issues others on here are going through - but I’m struggling without the “normal” work routine/banter, the fitba and the being able to go to the pub - such a big part of my life day to day.. Lucky to have a job and I know that’s the mindset I need to be in, but I’m struggling with the concept of only seeing these four walls for the foreseeable. I haven’t taken any leave this year, but if I do now then I’ll just be at home anyway without logging on remotely.

I also need to stop reading Twitter and searching for worst case scenarios - both me and my wife are lucky to have reasonably secure jobs, but I read “18 months of lockdown” and I can’t imagine how we’ll have our jobs at the end of it.

Feels like this is already having an overwhelming impact on my mental health. It isn’t really like me as I usually thrive upon the positive and get on with it.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

See my post above yours mate. I caught myself this morning reading twitter and thinking why am I reading this, it’s making me sad.
The rest is all pretty much my worries as well, you’re definitely not alone in it.
Try to keep the chin up wellyheid, a lot of people will be feeling the same way. Don't know your work situation but if you can, take every opportunity to phone others, sort the work stuff then have a general chinwag. It won't affect productivity as that is what usually happens in offices anyway.

Cheers mate. Will definitely try and get phoning or Skype calling colleagues instead of just email or messaging. Think that’s really good advice. If I don’t, it’s completely feasible I could go days without actually talking to anyone and I know I don’t deal with isolation and loneliness particularly well.

Cheers mate. Will definitely try and get phoning or Skype calling colleagues instead of just email or messaging. Think that’s really good advice. If I don’t, it’s completely feasible I could go days without actually talking to anyone and I know I don’t deal with isolation and loneliness particularly well.
We are in unprecedented times here. I am shitting myself for the future of my kids etc but have begun looking on this time as a challenge. A time to learn and grow. I wint be able to take them to soft play or swimming, they cant go to nursery, so I am going to have to do it different. My plan so far is to do a lot of work in my garden. It will improve my garden, it will keep me busy, and they can get involved. To use a wanky modern phrase, it could be a time.to "unplug" from normal life and do it a little differently.

I am also now working from home for the foreseeable, however as I work from home two days a week it’s nothing new, although I am conscious that I thrive on human interaction so it could be an issue for me, however I know some of my colleagues are struggling already.

For all those who are working from home, I recommend using the Pomodoro Technique - 25 mins on, 5 mins off. It works wonders for me, keeps me focused and know that I am not going to be sat at my kitchen table for hours on end.

If you have a webcam then would encourage you to use conference chats using your camera to see your colleagues. We have a daily call just to discuss how we are and what we are working on. I had 11 calls today, and four of them were just with colleagues to chat, and discuss how mental things were.

I have loads of good techniques to stay concentrated, but also active and productive, happy to talk to anyone who is suffering as a result of this.

My biggest gripe so far is my girlfriend is also working from home and sat at the same table, so have to arrange calls around each other so we’re not talking over each other. Once the kids are back tomorrow from their Mum’s, and off school next week, that will cause a bit of a bawache!

EDIT: And the cat is doing my nut in, climbing all over me. Guess he’s not used to having me in the house constantly.

Had my first day today too.

Wasn't too bad, plenty of music on. Ate well, run at lunchtime, walked the dog when I could. Will get tougher but important to stick to the things that help, whatever it is.

If I get sucked into being an unproductive bum I'll fall off a cliff.

21 minutes ago, Adam said:

I am also now working from home for the foreseeable, however as I work from home two days a week it’s nothing new, although I am conscious that I thrive on human interaction so it could be an issue for me, however I know some of my colleagues are struggling already.

For all those who are working from home, I recommend using the Pomodoro Technique - 25 mins on, 5 mins off. It works wonders for me, keeps me focused and know that I am not going to be sat at my kitchen table for hours on end.

If you have a webcam then would encourage you to use conference chats using your camera to see your colleagues. We have a daily call just to discuss how we are and what we are working on. I had 11 calls today, and four of them were just with colleagues to chat, and discuss how mental things were.

I have loads of good techniques to stay concentrated, but also active and productive, happy to talk to anyone who is suffering as a result of this.

My biggest gripe so far is my girlfriend is also working from home and sat at the same table, so have to arrange calls around each other so we’re not talking over each other. Once the kids are back tomorrow from their Mum’s, and off school next week, that will cause a bit of a bawache!

EDIT: And the cat is doing my nut in, climbing all over me. Guess he’s not used to having me in the house constantly.

I'm fine working at home. I get pissed off about 15 minutes either side of the Skype call, during which I have to listen to their inane shite and cackling, talking over one another. I'd manage perfectly well without it.

Had my first day today too.
Wasn't too bad, plenty of music on. Ate well, run at lunchtime, walked the dog when I could. Will get tougher but important to stick to the things that help, whatever it is.
If I get sucked into being an unproductive bum I'll fall off a cliff.

The run at lunchtime is something I wanted to do today but didn’t - well done on that.

Have meant to get back into the running anyway, so hopefully that’s something positive that comes out of it.

I'm fine working at home. I get pissed off about 15 minutes either side of the Skype call, during which I have to listen to their inane shite and cackling, talking over one another. I'd manage perfectly well without it.

Get them to mute it! I work in a team of five and we mute until someone asks a question. I’ve heard and seen plenty of dogs in my calls this week, it makes a call when a dog wants to come up to its owner on a call.

My doorbell went today when I was on a call with my manager. It’s some stupid Disney tune that I have been screaming to change, but don’t have a clue how to/she’s taken the remote and hidden it. My boss thought it was an ice cream van.