Depression

Guest Moomintroll

It’s a fairly new service but it’s really picking up in terms of volunteers and people texting in. I started volunteering with them a few months ago after I was finding it difficult to commit the time to do a Samaritans shift.

If anybody is feeling in distress it’s definitely worth getting in touch, especially if you find it easier to type out how you’re feeling.

Going to look into volunteering for that, is there a website address to apply to? How much training is required before you can start?

26 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
7 hours ago, tbone stag said:

It’s a fairly new service but it’s really picking up in terms of volunteers and people texting in. I started volunteering with them a few months ago after I was finding it difficult to commit the time to do a Samaritans shift.

If anybody is feeling in distress it’s definitely worth getting in touch, especially if you find it easier to type out how you’re feeling.

Going to look into volunteering for that, is there a website address to apply to? How much training is required before you can start?

Training session #1 - don't mention you're a tory

http://www.giveusashout.org

I think the training is spread out over 6 weeks and probably takes 1-2 hours to complete each week. It’s great to hear you’re thinking about volunteering as we always need more people.

Guest Moomintroll
[emoji38] I don't actually care that you're a tory. I find the disdain with which its held on the site quite funny though.
I have never hidden it but some people on here really do not like me because of it. I just do what I do, if other people hate me when they don't even know me then meh, I can live with that knowing that I will always do what I can to help other people. I just live in the hope that someone else will help me if I need it.

I have never hidden it but some people on here really do not like me because of it. I just do what I do, if other people hate me when they don't even know me then meh, I can live with that knowing that I will always do what I can to help other people. I just live in the hope that someone else will help me if I need it.
If someone genuinely dislikes another person because of who they vote for then it is tragic behaviour. And like you say, they aren't worth engaging with. I don't like the Tories but I wouldn't hate someone for voting them. I'd take the piss out of them though. You Tory voting arse [emoji14]

5 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
emoji38.png I don't actually care that you're a tory. I find the disdain with which its held on the site quite funny though.

Indeed, there is a very narrow minded view that a vote in the wrong may gives you some sort of equivalence to fascists everywhere. The Politics forum is particularly bad for this.

I think it is simpler for people to have very binary dividing lines when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Saying that, it is a shame you hate poor people and wish them to die. 

Guest Moomintroll
If someone genuinely dislikes another person because of who they vote for then it is tragic behaviour. And like you say, they aren't worth engaging with. I don't like the Tories but I wouldn't hate someone for voting them. I'd take the piss out of them though. You Tory voting arse [emoji14]
I bet Stephen Dobbie votes Tory.

Guest Moomintroll
Indeed, there is a very narrow minded view that a vote in the wrong may gives you some sort of equivalence to fascists everywhere. The Politics forum is particularly bad for this.
I think it is simpler for people to have very binary dividing lines when it comes to this sort of stuff.
I used to like you.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I tell Mrs Mathematics, quite regularly, that the world is not split into Good Guys and No Voters*.

Spoiler

* It is.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:
1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
If someone genuinely dislikes another person because of who they vote for then it is tragic behaviour. And like you say, they aren't worth engaging with. I don't like the Tories but I wouldn't hate someone for voting them. I'd take the piss out of them though. You Tory voting arse emoji14.png

I bet Stephen Dobbie votes Tory.

Everyone in the Borders does tbf.

We’ll never agree on politics but can always drop me a message if you ever want / need.

Politics forum is really not a place for reasonable thought out discussion. Some very militant and angry posters on there.
Go on there and talk down the snp or independence and you'll get attacked.
They cant see that they're actually doing more harm than good by acting like that.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Politics forum is really not a place for reasonable thought out discussion. Some very militant and angry posters on there.
They cant see that they're actually doing more harm than good by acting like that.

Without meaning to sidetrack this thread any further, they're not actually doing more harm than good - unless they carry on like that off the internet - as they are talking to mostly like minded militants and angry people. Nobody is going to change their mind based on rants on a political threads on a football forum.

"Oh, Mr Anonymous on P&B called me vermin. That's my mind changed to vote for independence."

Guest Moomintroll

They really aren't very sensible in there are they? I have lurked a few times & basically thought, oh my, & got the hell out. Heaven forbid I should ever post on there, Div would be on time and a half for weeks.