Depression

3 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I don’t know why my response has come through as a link and I can’t be fucked trying to fix it

Happens mate, not sure why. I wouldn't get depressed about it. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Struggled a bit more in recent weeks.

Started with losing a bit of intensity/discipline in exercise and was feeling a bit bad about that and since I’ve cracked my rib. I now can’t even go for a run without agonising pain.

Struggling with work, been getting the old bleak feelings of ‘what’s the point in all this’ coming back which exercise used to get rid of. I don’t have any clear goals and feel like I’m just drifting nowhere again. Not to mention the cracked rib is making me struggle to sleep.

I’ve started regressing back into my shell, losing confidence, losing fight and determination and the feeling that something terrible is coming.

I’m not back in the worst place but I’m absolutely terrified of it coming back.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Started with losing a bit of intensity/discipline in exercise and was feeling a bit bad about that and since I’ve cracked my rib. I now can’t even go for a run without agonising pain.

Struggling with work, been getting the old bleak feelings of ‘what’s the point in all this’ coming back which exercise used to get rid of. I don’t have any clear goals and feel like I’m just drifting nowhere again. Not to mention the cracked rib is making me struggle to sleep.

I’ve started regressing back into my shell, losing confidence, losing fight and determination and the feeling that something terrible is coming.

You've identified it that's the main thing the next step is trying to find something to stop you going back the way, try finding another interest or even just walking until your rib feels better to start exercising again.  its the small things you do each day that count the most for a win get up, brush teeth, shave etc.

You've identified it that's the main thing the next step is trying to find something to stop you going back the way, try finding another interest or even just walking until your rib feels better to start exercising again.  its the small things you do each day that count the most for a win get up, brush teeth, shave etc.

That’s part of the problem, I’m doing the small things, walking the dog every night instead of gym/running and still feel like I’m regressing.

You’re right though, I need to find ways to feel like I’m progressing without the exercise.

ETA - a lot of it just fear, I’m absolutely scarred from where I was a year ago and just fearful of being back there.

49 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s part of the problem, I’m doing the small things, walking the dog every night instead of gym/running and still feel like I’m regressing.

You’re right though, I need to find ways to feel like I’m progressing without the exercise.

ETA - a lot of it just fear, I’m absolutely scarred from where I was a year ago and just fearful of being back there.

Your not alone there, but you recognise it just finding ways to cope with it temporarily.

try to block out the thoughts of where you were and look at where you are, cause your not keeping as active as you normally are your overthinking the situation and thinking of the worst possible outcomes, once your ribs are back to normal you can get back to your routine that made you feel better.

Your not alone there, but you recognise it just finding ways to cope with it temporarily.
try to block out the thoughts of where you were and look at where you are, cause your not keeping as active as you normally are your overthinking the situation and thinking of the worst possible outcomes, once your ribs are back to normal you can get back to your routine that made you feel better.

Thanks, you are right.

I think I’m just in pain all the time and not really sleeping so it’s fucking with my head a bit.

28 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

It's good you have that fear. Means that when you're fully able bodied again, you can get right back into your regime. Use it well, it can be an ally (sorry for the cheesy wording but it's true)

Definitely. If I ever had days I didn't feel like going to the gym or running it always served as a good reminder as to why I needed to get off my arse.

Edited by Dons_1988

Had a bit of a nightmare weekend. Had a date on Friday with a girl I met in the pub a few weeks a go and we'd been chatting almost constantly since. Started well but we both had a bit too much drink and I think I basically fucked it and she decided she'd rather not see me again. Daft but I miss her even though we'd only met a couple  of times but it was nice having someone to say good morning to and talk to before going to sleep. Then on Saturday I discovered my ex has met someone else which even though we split over a year ago, still hurt like f**k. On top of all this, I still haven't found a flat that I want to move in to and I'm struggling with sleep. Just feel nothings going right for me at all and I just can't get out this slump.

I was awake at 4am this morning going over it all and realise that most my problems are self inflicted. So from today onwards I'm going to get in top of everything and move on. It's hard but feels good just putting it down in writing how I feel. I'm a lot better today than I was yesterday and will no doubt feel better again tomorrow but Sunday was the lowest I've felt in a long time.

I feel exactly the same. Exercise used to make me forget about shitty stuff and when I got injured playing football it made me feel terrible. Have been trying to exercise while injured and it is really frustrating. As others said just try and do what you can. Write down a plan that starts off with walking then progress back slowly. Expect some setbacks.
When I get injury free I see it as a blessing so that theres no mental barrier to exercising. Wanting to exercise and not being able to is frustrating. Think longer term.

5 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Had a bit of a nightmare weekend. Had a date on Friday with a girl I met in the pub a few weeks a go and we'd been chatting almost constantly since. Started well but we both had a bit too much drink and I think I basically fucked it and she decided she'd rather not see me again. Daft but I miss her even though we'd only met a couple  of times but it was nice having someone to say good morning to and talk to before going to sleep. Then on Saturday I discovered my ex has met someone else which even though we split over a year ago, still hurt like f**k. On top of all this, I still haven't found a flat that I want to move in to and I'm struggling with sleep. Just feel nothings going right for me at all and I just can't get out this slump.

I was awake at 4am this morning going over it all and realise that most my problems are self inflicted. So from today onwards I'm going to get in top of everything and move on. It's hard but feels good just putting it down in writing how I feel. I'm a lot better today than I was yesterday and will no doubt feel better again tomorrow but Sunday was the lowest I've felt in a long time.

Probably at some sub-conscious level not over your ex.

I've personally screwed up potential relationships that way.

Thanks, you are right.

I think I’m just in pain all the time and not really sleeping so it’s fucking with my head a bit.
You shouldnt (and you probably aren't) underestimating the impact of physical pain on your mental wellbeing. See when I am ill, I routinely convince myself that I will never feel well again. An injury interrupting an important exercise regime is that x 100.

You shouldnt (and you probably aren't) underestimating the impact of physical pain on your mental wellbeing. See when I am ill, I routinely convince myself that I will never feel well again. An injury interrupting an important exercise regime is that x 100.

Definitely. Combined with not sleeping it’s definitely been taking a toll.

Good news is I had a productive day at work yesterday, just keeping myself busy, a good chat with the mrs last night about how it was affecting me and managed to get a good nights sleep.

Rib still hurts like f**k but feeling much brighter and more optimistic today.