Depression

My mate got home this morning. He's in a bad way though. What we thought and feared has been confirmed and his plan was to end his life in New York. Thankfully they have him at his GP just now to start getting the help he needs.

Might not seem it with your pal being in a bad state but this is good news. First step on the road to recovery!

7 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Seen my GP this morning and discussed what happened. We have agreed to double my dose of Sertraline up to 100mg to see if that will help. 

Obviously I'm not a doctor, but this sounds like just dealing with the symptoms rather than the underlying issue. Is this the outcome you wanted?

Also do your work provide any sort of counselling or help? I work for a university and staff can use the counselling service.

Guest Moomintroll
Seen my GP this morning and discussed what happened. We have agreed to double my dose of Sertraline up to 100mg to see if that will help. 

Agree with the post from DA, it will hopefully help the symptoms but from what you have described from symptoms cannot recommend counselling enough. Can take some time to access the service if private isn't an option but will get you to someone who can deal with the underlying issues while the meds do their thing. On a side note did your doctor touch on changing meds? I was on sertraline 200mg for a couple of months but did nothing for me, changed to citalopram 40mg now and finally feel that I am not the most useless person alive, which is how I have been for the last 15-16 months, long road still to go but between that and my CBT I will get there. Sure you will too so keep your head up and hope you get there soon.

3 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

I'm not a doctor and I'm not you. But I do have some personal experience and what you described sounded more like PTSD than agrophobia, of course the two are not mutually exclusive.

There seems to be loads of alternative therapies popping up recently for PTSD such as tapping therapy but no idea how you would get access to it.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Obviously I'm not a doctor, but this sounds like just dealing with the symptoms rather than the underlying issue. Is this the outcome you wanted?

Also do your work provide any sort of counselling or help? I work for a university and staff can use the counselling service.

4 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Agree with the post from DA, it will hopefully help the symptoms but from what you have described from symptoms cannot recommend counselling enough. Can take some time to access the service if private isn't an option but will get you to someone who can deal with the underlying issues while the meds do their thing. On a side note did your doctor touch on changing meds? I was on sertraline 200mg for a couple of months but did nothing for me, changed to citalopram 40mg now and finally feel that I am not the most useless person alive, which is how I have been for the last 15-16 months, long road still to go but between that and my CBT I will get there. Sure you will too so keep your head up and hope you get there soon.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm not a doctor and I'm not you. But I do have some personal experience and what you described sounded more like PTSD than agrophobia, of course the two are not mutually exclusive.

There seems to be loads of alternative therapies popping up recently for PTSD such as tapping therapy but no idea how you would get access to it.

Sorry i meant to post more but i haven't had the time. Along with the medication change i'm also going to arrange mindfulness sessions.  Previously i was on Citalopram 40mg until i built up a tolerance to it and switched to the Sertraline. If i dont see any improvement on the 100mg tabs we will look to wean me down to 50 again.

Might not seem it with your pal being in a bad state but this is good news. First step on the road to recovery!

Absolutely. He's messaging me a bit tonight which is bloody brilliant. He has been prescribed anti-depressants (he hasn't went in to which one). Only the weeks course at a time given his fragile state.

Absolutely. He's messaging me a bit tonight which is bloody brilliant. He has been prescribed anti-depressants (he hasn't went in to which one). Only the weeks course at a time given his fragile state.

That's great news mate. Might not really seem like much but the fact he's happy/willing/content to talk to message anyone given his last few days is really positive!

36 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:

I get moved onto weekly dispense when I'm not good. Then fortnightly etc which I see as wee goals. 

If his wife can quietly get bank card off him and credit cards might be sensible. 

Guest Moomintroll

That's great news mate. Might not really seem like much but the fact he's happy/willing/content to talk to message anyone given his last few days is really positive!

Will echo that, the next few weeks will be hard going for him and everyone close to him and he will lash out at some points and say some hurtful things he doesn't mean. Stick with him and do all you can to help which you have clearly done up til now, as you know it's a shit place to be and he needs friends right now to get through this.

I get moved onto weekly dispense when I'm not good. Then fortnightly etc which I see as wee goals. 
If his wife can quietly get bank card off him and credit cards might be sensible. 

She sent me a text earlier to say she was safe proofing where she could. I assume that means moving pills etc.

It's just great hearing from the big guy.

My mate got home this morning. He's in a bad way though. What we thought and feared has been confirmed and his plan was to end his life in New York. Thankfully they have him at his GP just now to start getting the help he needs.

Bit of a random question mate, but you said he was denied entry. I'm assuming he didn't get a visa?

It's just incredible to think that forgetting to get a visa has saved his life.

Does anyone else get that thing where you sometimes think that your memories aren’t your own?

Yesterday I was, for no reason, thinking of something and reminiscing in my head, but the memories didn’t feel real. I was questioning if they actually happened to me, or if I’d seen them somewhere.

This has happened many times to me before. It’s just weird. I look back and think, “Did that actually happen? Was that real?”

About time I posted here.

Signed off work with stress and exhaustion. Think there's more to it than that but my main focus when I went to the doctor was just to get the time off work. I'm very stubborn and just ride out bad feelings but I snapped and knew I needed time off.

My problem is I really can't bare the thought of going back. How will I know when I'm ready?

When I had my time off I inadvertently bumped into a colleague from work at the supermarket who knew why I was off.

I was trying to avoid the topic but he forced me into it but gave me the best advice.

He said take as much time as you need but when you think you're ready, give yourself another fortnight to be sure.

Ultimately it's a decision that has to be made at some point. I came to realise that going back to work was part of the healing process, so it's no use waiting until you feel great again, which i was kind of hoping for when I first went off.

Ease yourself back in, my work was great and allowed me a staggered return. I did a fortnight of 4 hours a day, then upped it every fortnight until eventually back to full time.

Try and make it clear that you need your work to be taken off you, the last thing you want is to come back to a huge pile of shit waiting for you.

Like I say, take your time, you will know in yourself when you're ready to go back. Also make sure you use the time to get proper rest and get better. My first week off I went full pelt going to the gym etc thinking I needed to be really active to replace work but I was in reality just substituting the pressure I put on myself in work to my fitness etc, I took a day off the gym and battered myself mentally about it. Took the doctor to tell me that I wasn't helping myself.

When I had my time off I inadvertently bumped into a colleague from work at the supermarket who knew why I was off.

I was trying to avoid the topic but he forced me into it but gave me the best advice.

He said take as much time as you need but when you think you're ready, give yourself another fortnight to be sure.

Ultimately it's a decision that has to be made at some point. I came to realise that going back to work was part of the healing process, so it's no use waiting until you feel great again, which i was kind of hoping for when I first went off.

Ease yourself back in, my work was great and allowed me a staggered return. I did a fortnight of 4 hours a day, then upped it every fortnight until eventually back to full time.

Try and make it clear that you need your work to be taken off you, the last thing you want is to come back to a huge pile of shit waiting for you.

Like I say, take your time, you will know in yourself when you're ready to go back. Also make sure you use the time to get proper rest and get better. My first week off I went full pelt going to the gym etc thinking I needed to be really active to replace work but I was in reality just substituting the pressure I put on myself in work to my fitness etc, I took a day off the gym and battered myself mentally about it. Took the doctor to tell me that I wasn't helping myself.

I've already had two people ask me if I'm back next week. While I'm sure they meant nothing by it it's incredibly unhelpful to me.

Appreciate the advice though pal, and from everyone else.

Does anyone else get that thing where you sometimes think that your memories aren’t your own?

Yesterday I was, for no reason, thinking of something and reminiscing in my head, but the memories didn’t feel real. I was questioning if they actually happened to me, or if I’d seen them somewhere.

This has happened many times to me before. It’s just weird. I look back and think, “Did that actually happen? Was that real?”

False memories. Very common, don't worry about it. Every time you think of a memory, it's about 1000000x miles away from the original memory, as your neurons do not fire and carry the signal the same way as when they did when the memory first occurred.

Remember that time I was the third Hardy Boy?

Delighted to hear the boy that went to NYC has been sent home and hopefully will get the help he desperately needs.

There was a talk in my work yesterday, a guy called Lee House, who is Bipolar, and has a project called Hummingbird. It was fantastic, I would recommend everyone to have a look at his Facebook page.

Edit: Might as well give an update on my situation. I am still on antidepressants and strong sleeping pills. I always had terrible trouble with nightmares, specifically in the last 10 months or so, but in the last four months I am having much more vivid dreams and nightmares, where I know I am asleep, but I still do absolutely awful things, and it does worry me to go to sleep. Thankfully in the last week or two these have been few and far between, but they still put the fear of God in me when they happen.