Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went out with a girl from Coleraine for around 4 years, met most of her friends and family and visited the area countless times in the years I was seeing her. Never once had a problem despite coming from "The other side" to her, and outside of all the murals never seen much of note when I was there. I remember having a conversation with her father about the whole thing once, and he told me that he felt more threatened by the Northern Ireland situation when he was in Glasgow visiting his daughter than when he was at home.

Went out with a girl from Coleraine for around 4 years, met most of her friends and family and visited the area countless times in the years I was seeing her. Never once had a problem despite coming from "The other side" to her, and outside of all the murals never seen much of note when I was there. I remember having a conversation with her father about the whole thing once, and he told me that he felt more threatened by the Northern Ireland situation when he was in Glasgow visiting his daughter than when he was at home.

Not many murals in Coleraine*, as I recall - maybe you meant Northern Ireland in general? Must admit to having been in the Ardoyne looking at a job one time and was glad to get out of the place, the murals were off putting.

* There was one on the gable of a shop in Park Street (just off Church Street) but it was painted over many moons ago when the building changed hands and Park Street was re-developed.

Why are Irish people from the north so angry and aggressive?

edit: I have a friend from Northern Ireland actually. Thankfully she's from south Armgah and isn't a horrible, violent unionist.

I dont think the accent helps, sounds quite coarse and assertive.

I remember having a conversation with her father about the whole thing once, and he told me that he felt more threatened by the Northern Ireland situation when he was in Glasgow visiting his daughter than when he was at home.

On the other hand, my mate is from the south of NI, and when I asked him why he didn't support a NI football team, he told me it was because people like him (Catholic Nationalist side) weren't welcome at football games.

Fire chiefs remove 'offensive' saltire from engines after complaints

Olympic Saltire ban

(they then had to back down)

SNP 'brainwashes' Scotland by painting trains in blue and white Saltire livery

(they went very quiet on this after it emerged that it was originally a labour design)

Starter for three! :D

Saltire Banned

Surely the loopiest one of the lot.

Stayed in a hostel opposite the Central Library, but i did head up the Shankhill and on to the Falls and the Shankhill is where i stumbled into the Rex Bar, which i later found out had been the local of Johnny Adair. The IRA stronghold bit happened when we went on a search for the mystical 24-hour carry-out shop and must have taken a wrong turn.

Nothing mystical about it. I occasionally frequented (if that makes sense) it when I lived in Belfast. In case you're ever back there, it's on the Lower Ormeau Road, about 3/4 mile from the City Hall. It's called the Hatfield Bar... go down the wee side street and knock on the door (probably won't be required as the place is stowed after licensing hours end). Not too expensive and they even sell the tonic.

Police obviously know about it but turn a blind eye cos there never seems to be any trouble around there.

Not many murals in Coleraine*, as I recall - maybe you meant Northern Ireland in general? Must admit to having been in the Ardoyne looking at a job one time and was glad to get out of the place, the murals were off putting.

* There was one on the gable of a shop in Park Street (just off Church Street) but it was painted over many moons ago when the building changed hands and Park Street was re-developed.

I meant Northern Ireland in general, although I can't remember much in Coleraine. There was one estate, I think called Ballysally(referred to by the locals as Ballybosnia) which had quite a few and felt pretty intimidating when you passed through, but that apart there wasn't much.

I got the impression that a lot of the older folk who lived through the troubles seen that much that it sickened them which is why they tried to move on, but a lot of the younger ones who have forgotten or were too young to appreciate what happened were a bit more likely to get involved in anything to do with it.

I do recall one Sunday when I was in Belfast shopping with the ex, when a Loyalist March passed by. I instantly shat it and jumped into the nearest shop, while everyone else just blocked it out and went about their business. I just instantly expected it all to kick off, thanks to the coverage we tend to get of the situation there.

I have friends, acquaintances and work colleagues from Northern Ireland and none are bigots or idiots. It's blighted by the actions of these sorts of people. But you cannae beat a bit of hyperbole so crack on.

He's an idiot and steer well clear mate. Guys like that worry me

Of course we do, and its an embarrassment in this country too. Religion is the biggest evil man has ever invented to give itself authority to control other people. Look back over every way, its all about religion at some point.

Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Zedong etc etc etc. All atheist regimes. The nature of Man is what it is and that's got nothing to do with organised religion but I'm nearly certain that you won't even consider that so.............

Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Zedong etc etc etc. All atheist regimes. The nature of Man is what it is and that's got nothing to do with organised religion but I'm nearly certain that you won't even consider that so.............

Weren't you resigning again 4 pages back?

Oh wait I forgot, you're a pathetic addict, this site is like crack to you.

In those regimes, the state became the religion. Same thing.

Archived