Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

We had my wedding over there and everyone had a few days out beforehand - they all loved it. It is particularly good for restaurants - even down to the level of takeaways (best chippy ever - The Golden Chip in Dundonald). Some really good pubs too. Also the only place where I've ever been in a group that has had a £150 round of shots in a nightclub as well...

Some beautiful areas as well (Botanic Gardens, much of the uni area really, Stormont) and loads of history.

Just, unfortunately, a smattering of nutters, and - even more unfortunately - a fair amount of generally right minded people who have just enough of this kind of thing in their backgrounds to make them lose it at this kind of provocation.

That said, I still blame the politicians. I just can't get my head round why you'd do something that you KNOW is going to be controversial and cause this level of upset for absolutely no reason at all. Said flag wasn't causing anyone any problems, and wasn't upsetting anyone. In fact, I've walked past that city hall a thousand times and if you'd asked me I'd have had no idea what was up there. Absolutely mental.

Edit to add - as far as outright bigotry goes, I've heard far more of that from people from Glasgow and the west coast of Scotland than I've ever heard from people in NI. When I first met more Glasgow folk when I went to Uni I couldn't believe some of the stuff they came out with - casual sectarianism that wasn't shocking to them, just normal from their upbringing.

It was like switching on a sitcom from the 70s and hearing them talking about "darkies" and that kind of thing - I'd never heard anything like it before but, like casual 70s racism was, it was just run of the mill to them!

A possible explanation is that In Belfast you have to take that shit seriously while even in the West of Scotland sectarianism isn't actually that big an issue people find it easier to be light hearted about it.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anti-Semitic apologist?:rolleyes:

take it as a compliment. Almost exclusively used by those defending criticism of right-wing, bigots and jewish supremacists. Almost exclusively by those who don't give a flying phuck about the Semite Palestinians.

Still, anyone upset about the decision to restrict the flying of the Union flag in Belfast will be very pleased to know that since October last year the Cambridge County Council have adopted the opposite policy, changing from flying the Union flag on just a few days, to flying it every weekday outside the Shirehall.

Disgruntled Republicans have been known to walk past muttering under their breath, Scum

A young chap from near Enniskillen

Had an adventure most thrilling

While looking for Fun

He talked to a nun

And found her both eager and Willing

What does a priest like better than a good conundrum?

A bad nun under him.

(Brendan Behan, 1923-64, IRA volunteer, playwright and drunk)

P.S. He also claimed that if the Dutch had occupied Ireland it would have been the garden of Europe.

And if the Irish had occupied Holland they'd all be drowned.

Plus it costs up a lot of money, I wonder if the PSNI budget will be getting cut like the rest of the UK :whistle

Indeed. 'Cui bono' is always the first two words that everyone should consider when looking at divisions over petty names, flags, etc (anywhere in the the world). The answer is never the people on the streets. The people on the streets are toyed and played with by those behind the curtain pulling the strings of the orchestrators.

Personally I BLAME THE OLD FIRM (or what's left of it and the legacy of their rivalry of hatred)

Yes i agree, most of the trouble makers seen rioting on tv are wee neds wearing rangers scarfs, probably on the dole with nothing to do bored!

1355303371[/url]' post='6886753']

I notice Kevin, that yet again you have ignored the question :-

I'll ask a third time, you apologist p***k.

"Why, on the same day that Nationalist politicians, voted on the Belfast flag issue, did they use their votes in Newry to name a child's playpark after a murdering IRA scumbag?"

Do you condemn the Nationalists for this? Yes, or no?

Like the murdering British soldiers killing innocent children? Comments like yours are useless.Move on.

Archived