Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

1355180399[/url]' post='6883205']

And it's the norm throughout the U.K to only fly the flag on designated days which means this was a fair compromise by the Sinn Fein and the S.D.L.P.It's just false to say S.F and the S.D.L.P should accept blame for voting in the affirmitative on a motion brought forward by a liberal Unionist party

Should Sinn Fein and the S.D.L.P politicians never propose motions or pursue policies that their constituents are asking for out of fear that loyalist dregs will riot when the democratic will of the people goes against them?

Go f**k yourself, anti Semitic apologist. What's loathsome about both you and your Unionist clones is no one is ever anything but right. The Nationalists knew damn well what this would do, otherwise they would have proposed the eventual "compromise". You are all a bunch of self righteous c***s, and the sooner Scotland, Ireland and the UK are free of your joint sanctimonious bullshit the better.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1355182434[/url]' post='6883329']

Didn't even see it

I stopped reading when I seen that I was being accused of being an apologist for Anti-Semites for some bizarre reason

No doubt. HB owned you on this, and like a good little bred victim you couldn't even acknowledge the loathsome performance of the Irish government. No, that would have meant acknowledging blame. Which makes you as loathsome as your "no surrender" doppelgängers. Seriously, move up there, join with your MOPE Protestant pals and disappear up your own self righteous arses. It's what you all really want.

1355183242[/url]' post='6883361']

Hahahaha

I'm sure the help you need is out there somewhere

What an angry and deluded young man!

Frustrated and middle aged as it happens. But I was just middle aged till I started reading your sanctimonious shite. Really, you and your orange brethren are utterly fucking disgusting. Just go away and kill each other.

And it's the norm throughout the U.K to only fly the flag on designated days which means this was a fair compromise by the Sinn Fein and the S.D.L.P.It's just false to say S.F and the S.D.L.P should accept blame for voting in the affirmitative on a motion brought forward by a liberal Unionist party

Should Sinn Fein and the S.D.L.P politicians never propose motions or pursue policies that their constituents are asking for out of fear that loyalist dregs will riot when the democratic will of the people goes against them?

Northern Ireland isn't a 'normal' part of the UK though is it. If you genuinely are interested in extending the normal way of doing things from the UK then that means you'd have to accept a majority Unionist in the NI Assembly. McGuinness and SF out of Government and a DUP/UUP government doing whatever it wants. Now how would that go down in the Nationalist communities? Like a lead balloon I suspect.

Northern Ireland is a society trying to recover from conflict and trying to move on. That requires compromise and focusing on things that unite rather than divide.

Ultimately it's the loyalist thugs on the streets who are responsible for this but politicians ON ALL SIDES need to accept their role whether that's distributing leaflets or starting the flag debate in the first place.

Adopting a four republican/nationalist legs good, two unionist legs bad approach is idiotic. Every side has things they should be ashamed of in their past and every side has a part to play in not stoking things from the sidelines. I can't help feeling that a Spider-Man 'with power comes responsibility' gif would be appropriate here.

I can't help feeling that a Spider-Man 'with power comes responsibility' gif would be appropriate here.

Sorry, don't have one, but considering what is going on, I think this is more appropriate

post-35247-2914_thumb.jpg

The technology to do this

_341052_gail_porter_parly300.jpg

has been in existence since 1999

Instead of demonstrating, complaining or rioting would it not make more sense to just project a four story high Union Flag on to Belfast City Hall

They could offer to do a tricolour on Saint Patricks day and then a week later use the original image to mark Gail Porter's Birthday. A large oriental dragon for Chinese New Year etc.

I ran into a "flag" protest - not literally, fortunately - in Cookstown last night. Main street was blocked off, had to go round the by-pass, which would actually have been quicker if the driver of the landcruiser in front of me could have made her mind up regarding which shade of green she preferred for the traffic lights - she sat through 3 changes of signal before finally turning right.

I have a certain admiration for the protesters out on a night like last nights, but these protests are a total waste of time, and completely counter productive. They merely reinforce the stereotypical loyalist bozo image.

I'm as loyal as the next man, maybe more so, but this flag issue isn't one to make a stand on. It was a democratic vote, I don't know what Alliance thought they were doing, I would imagine they will lose a few second/third/fourth preference votes over this, and their Westminster seat will revert back to the DUP at the next general election, which it would probably have done anyway.

By proposing this Sinn Fein are hardly reaching out to Unionists, the only reaching out Sinn Fein are happy about is reaching out for our throats, this was 2 fingers to the Unionist community. Why the SDLP backed it I don't know, probably scare of being labelled the Stoop Down Low Party again.

Prior to the vote on the flag being taken I was listening to a phone in radio programme - only half listening, I must admit, as I assumed it would be the same old bollocks from all sides - but the DUP man said Belfast City Council has numerous buildings throughout the city, but only flew the Union flag from 3 of them. My reaction was, "Right, table an amendment, accepting the designated days, but fly the flag from all council buildings on those days." There wouldn't have been so much chat about "neutral working environments" - what does that actually mean, anyway - and non-parity, sorry, parity of esteem then.

There are more important matters for the council to waste their time on than this. Sinn Fein were merely mischief making, and have no intention of accommodating Unionists.

Many Sinn Fein councillors/MLAs/MPs are ex-terrorists, and they haven't changed their spots, our last mayor was an former terrorist murderer, my MP is Martin McGuinness. Sinn Fein supported, justified and excused the murder campaign, Sinn Fein stil justify and excuse it. Sinn Fein get the bulk of Nationalist votes. So the majority of my nationalist neighbours are comfortable voting for a party that justifies murder.

I have voted for every party in my time, with the exception of Sinn Fein, proportional representation gives you a great chance to show your feelings, I go straight down the list giving everyone a vote, apart from Sinn Fein, in the, admittedly, vain hope of depriving the terrorist apologists of a seat, any seat, whether if be at council or assembly level. Westmisnter elections are a different ketle of fish, even if all the unionist and SDLP voters combined behind a unity candidate - and there will never be that, perhaps a Unionist unity candidate, but not a cross community one - McGuinness would still get in.

I seem to have wandered slightly off my opening point, which is this flag protest is wrong.

1355219915[/url]' post='6883966']

... these protests are a total waste of time, and completely counter productive. They merely reinforce the stereotypical loyalist bozo image.

The Unionist side throughout the troubles never had a clue about PR and how things looked to the outside world. While I've got no time for Sinn Fein they were always better at PR

I'll ask again Kevin, why on the same day did the Nationalists use their vote to ensure a children's playpark was named after a murdering IRA scumbag?

I'll ask again Kevin, why on the same day did the Nationalists use their vote to ensure a children's playpark was named after a murdering IRA scumbag?

It's hard enough getting toddlers to eat their dinner at the best of times without giving them role models like that.

It's hard enough getting toddlers to eat their dinner at the best of times without giving them role models like that.

Rumours that the tyre swing was a burning one are unconfirmed.

the precedent has been set in northern ireland by the good friday agreement that violence over rides democracy and justice.

it's understandable that anyone who has a grievance will think violence pays.

Yep. And it does pay.

Plus it costs up a lot of money, I wonder if the PSNI budget will be getting cut like the rest of the UK :whistle

Quite! I'm sure xbl it was that had some good figures about this previously (i.e. the policing costs of Northern Ireland).

Archived