Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

Five Live had some clown called "Jamie Bryson" on at the weekend, from the United Judean Front or something.

Things were going badly for him anyway re the debate, given that all he seemed to offer was "Prostnts want thur voices hurrrrd" but it went particularly Tong-like when it emerged he had said on "social media" that the fact some of the police officers were Roman Catholics helped explain their bloodlust. :lol:

It was a particularly one-sided beatdown. The interviewer then put the boot in a bit more by asking Bryson how he got on when he stood in the last council elections (113 votes).

Well worth a listen on IPlayer.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five Live had some clown called "Jamie Bryson" on at the weekend, from the United Judean Front or something.

Things were going badly for him anyway re the debate, given that all he seemed to offer was "Prostnts want thur voices hurrrrd" but it went particularly Tong-like when it emerged he had said on "social media" that the fact some of the police officers were Roman Catholics helped explain their bloodlust. :lol:

It was a particularly one-sided beatdown. The interviewer then put the boot in a bit more by asking Bryson how he got on when he stood in the last council elections (113 votes).

Well worth a listen on IPlayer.

Don't you have catholic, muslims, or any other religion, unionists in Northern Ireland? :huh:

Why are they assuming the issue with the flag is an attack on the prodstants people.

Don't you have catholic, muslims, or any other religion, unionists in Northern Ireland? :huh:

Why are they assuming the issue with the flag is an attack on the prodstants people.

It was ridiculous.

Bryson was asked what the protesters demands were. He uhhhed and ahhed and said "it will be decided by the committee in due course".

What committee you may ask? Well, quite. He seemed to be suggesting that the various random individuals complaining would come together in an Entmoot, and a stone tablet they carved with their faces would be presented as a net result. Oh and Peter Robinson should resign. But that wasn't his views as part of the group he represented (of about 100 people) it was his personal views. Like the anti-Kafflick stuff too.

Naomi Long from the Alliance party was on saying she had no idea what the protesters wanted apart from a South Park like "Chhhhhange...change".

It really is Bonkersville. Sink it.

It was ridiculous.

Bryson was asked what the protesters demands were. He uhhhed and ahhed and said "it will be decided by the committee in due course".

What committee you may ask? Well, quite. He seemed to be suggesting that the various random individuals complaining would come together in an Entmoot, and a stone tablet they carved with their faces would be presented as a net result. Oh and Peter Robinson should resign. But that wasn't his views as part of the group he represented (of about 100 people) it was his personal views. Like the anti-Kafflick stuff too.

Naomi Long from the Alliance party was on saying she had no idea what the protesters wanted apart from a South Park like "Chhhhhange...change".

It really is Bonkersville. Sink it.

WHY do you take such a serious interest in Northern Ireland politics? Are you Northern Irish?! unsure.gif

WHY do you take such a serious interest in Northern Ireland politics? Are you Northern Irish?! unsure.gif

No, but as Northern Ireland is part of the UK and we fund the place, why shouldn't we take a interest in it?

I spent my Christmas period driving up and down the Albertbridge Road/Newtownards Road - effectively where all the problems are - repeatedly, as we were staying in the city centre Holiday Inn and my wife's family live up in East Belfast, roughly where the bomb was found under the cop's car last week. Really bizarre - such a nice area with so many nice pubs/restaurants - yet this is right where these nutters are trying to murder each other.

There wasn't a hint of trouble in the week we were there (clearly protesting can only be done outside the festive period), although the number of Union flags flying EVERYWHERE was incredible. Whoever is flogging those over there must be doing a roaring trade. They were on every lamp post. Normally you see them here and there, with an upsurge around July 12, but they were on every house, every post, every bus stop.

Seems things are taking a dodgy turn though. Wife's cousin was saying last night that she'd been driving up one of the affected roads just as a protest started. She was stopped and told "we need your car, get out". This is a young girl, driving by herself, effectively being carjacked. That is until someone recognised her and convinced them to let her on her way, saying "we'll get the next one".

Those involved are basically blaming kids for the worst of the disorder and violence, but it is clearly being stoked by the old loyalist paramilitarys. There's probably a group of 50 people instigating a mob of maybe 1000 who are holding the place to ransom just now. It is absolutely bonkers.

May I just say, though, that while I was over at Christmas I had a bloody great time, Belfast is a great city and the continental market in the gardens of the City Hall was outstanding - particularly enjoyed the Oktoberfest style beer tent serving Paulaner - though I couldn't see what flag was flying on top of the building.

Are you H_B's alias or is H_B your alias?! smile.gif

Neither

Just as a UK taxpayer i'm getting sick of Northern Ireland, the place is nothing but trouble that costs a small fortune. Why does NI bring to the UK in 2013?

It looks like the protests are driven by elements of the Loyalist paramilitaries. It's unclear what level of political influence the PUP still have on the UVF - the sole PUP MLA left the party after a man was murdered on the Shankhill Road as part of a feud. It's unclear if those still involved have control over the men with the guns (which of course are supposed to have been decommissioned).

It's worrying to see people shooting at the police but it's on a smaller scale, the same is true to the dissident republicans. It is worrying though and there are areas that are under the influence of these groups - particularly the Republican dissidents. I heard a programme on Radio 4 earlier this week about punishment shootings by the real IRA in Derry, it really beggars belief that this goes on.

Whatever you have posted, it isn't coming up on my screen

I doubt it answers my questions as to what NI brings to the UK and why we should ditch it.

Northern Ireland has been a thorn in the side of the British Isles for too long, and you are correct it contributes nothing of significance to the rest of the UK. Maybe it could be used for a massive social engineering experiment or something similar, if not all those who care about its existence could be rounded up and imprisoned there ... then nuked? smile.gif

Northern Ireland has been a thorn in the side of the British Isles for too long, and you are correct it contributes nothing of significance to the rest of the UK. Maybe it could be used for a massive social engineering experiment or something similar, if not all those who care about its existence could be rounded up and imprisoned there ... then nuked? smile.gif

FFS, if you can't answer the question don't bother replying with unrelated bollocks about engineering experiments and nukes.

Have you any better suggestions as to what should or could be done with it? unsure.gif

Let them run their own affairs outwith the UK, as an independent nation, remain within the commonwealth if they must.

So, are you going to answer my question about what NI brings to the UK, or are you going to continue to keep fannying about and avoiding it?

Let them run their own affairs outwith the UK, as an independent nation, remain within the commonwealth if they must.

So, are you going to answer my question about what NI brings to the UK, or are you going to continue to keep fannying about and avoiding it?

It contributes significantly to the sectarian problems on, in and around parts of mainland Britain, and the wealthy elite need the divisions in order to rule. smile.gif

It contributes significantly to the sectarian problems on, in and around parts of mainland Britain, and the wealthy elite need the divisions in order to rule. smile.gif

Very true, the elites are raking it in from the balaclava trade.

Somehow i wasn't expecting a sensible answer from you and you duly delivered

Archived