Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

Why are some Irish, as well as "Irish" people so keen to portray themselves as an oppressed minority? Everyone accepts that Irish immigrants faced racism when they came here. Was it any worse than any immigrants who arrive in a country, by today's standards, that was dirt poor, backwards with the majority of people being pretty ignorant? I doubt it.

Do they get a kick out of feeling like an oppressed minority fighting for their rights? Do they want people to feel sorry for them?

Definitely. I've been accused of being an 'orunj basturd' because I follow Ayr United. He wouldn't believe I wasn't a secret Rangers fan until I showed him my season ticket. Then, he decided that I was covering up my hunnery and Ayr were in cahoots with Rangers in some way.

Mind you, the same conversation in the same workplace with one of the other lot resulted in me being a 'feenyin basturd' too, and for the same reason.

Pinpoint logic, and sadly the West of Scotland is crammed with these mouth-breathers.

Won't someone PLEASE pigeonhole me correctly?!?!?! *woe*

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely. I've been accused of being an 'orunj basturd' because I follow Ayr United. He wouldn't believe I wasn't a secret Rangers fan until I showed him my season ticket. Then, he decided that I was covering up my hunnery and Ayr were in cahoots with Rangers in some way.

Mind you, the same conversation in the same workplace with one of the other lot resulted in me being a 'feenyin basturd' too, and for the same reason.

Pinpoint logic, and sadly the West of Scotland is crammed with these mouth-breathers.

Won't someone PLEASE pigeonhole me correctly?!?!?! *woe*

Banjo-strumming Ayrshire b*****d?

Why are some Irish, as well as "Irish" people so keen to portray themselves as an oppressed minority? Everyone accepts that Irish immigrants faced racism when they came here. Was it any worse than any immigrants who arrive in a country, by today's standards, that was dirt poor, backwards with the majority of people being pretty ignorant? I doubt it.

Do they get a kick out of feeling like an oppressed minority fighting for their rights? Do they want people to feel sorry for them?

Lads like Caoimhin go way over the top with the MOPEism and I don't know what he's trying to achieve. He takes the worst experiences of Irish Catholics in Scotland and uses it as the basis to portray all or most Scots as anti-Irish bigots, whilst completely ignoring any positive experiences of Irish Catholics. Similarly HB takes the worst cases of the Irish Free State's treatment of the Jews as "proof" that Irish people were/are rabid anti-Semites, whilst completely ignoring any positive experience of the Jews in Ireland.

History by cherry-picking.

Par for the course at these things. This IRA march in Glasgow tomorrow will no doubt have a few hooped shirts on display. Morons all of them.

IRA march in Glasgow? You sure about that :huh:

No idea when you mentioned Celtic either

IRA march in Glasgow? You sure about that :huh:

Pretty sure.

From the Herald:

POLICE are gearing up to deal with opposing republican and loyalist protests in Glasgow city centre on one of the busiest shopping days of the year...

The republican march is the Volunteer Sean McIlvenna Commemoration Parade and is expected to attract around 350 participants. It will leave Shamrock Street at 12pm, passing along Cowcaddens Road and on to North Hanover Street which adjoins George Square.

A quick search on this Sean McIlvenna throws up this:

McIlvenna, (33) was an active PIRA member and was killed during a gun battle with members of the RUC on 17 December 1984 near Blackwaterstown, County Armagh. McIlvenna had undertaken a landmine attack on a UDR patrol vehicle. As he and other members of his unit retreated from the scene across a field they were spotted by an RUC unit who opened fire on them killing McIlvenna.

So a march celebrating an IRA member. Lets call it an IRA march for short.

Pretty sure.

From the Herald:

POLICE are gearing up to deal with opposing republican and loyalist protests in Glasgow city centre on one of the busiest shopping days of the year...

The republican march is the Volunteer Sean McIlvenna Commemoration Parade and is expected to attract around 350 participants. It will leave Shamrock Street at 12pm, passing along Cowcaddens Road and on to North Hanover Street which adjoins George Square.

McIlvenna, (33) was an active PIRA member and was killed during a gun battle with members of the RUC on 17 December 1984 near Blackwaterstown, County Armagh. McIlvenna had undertaken a landmine attack on a UDR patrol vehicle. As he and other members of his unit retreated from the scene across a field they were spotted by an RUC unit who opened fire on them killing McIlvenna.

Fair enough

I had no clue this was going on. No idea why they would want to march in honour of such an individual (it would be interesting to see how many were adults at the time of his death)

You got it right the 1st time, i wish both of them would GTF. don't need this shite in my city

It's fucked up. Hopefully I don't encounter any of these vermin on my way to the Thistle game tomorrow

You should stick to the west end, Byres Rd or Great Western Road. The good thing about Firhill it's very close to pretty much everything in the city

Pretty sure.

From the Herald:

Don't knock Sean, he was a conscientious murderer with a great sense of humour..

Those who knew Sean as a person stated he was anxious to get the job done, always pushing to get results, a brilliant organiser and a humorous man a credit to the Republican movement.

My link

Fair enough

I had no clue this was going on. No idea why they would want to march in honour of such an individual (it would be interesting to see how many were adults at the time of his death)

You got it right the 1st time, i wish both of them would GTF. don't need this shite in my city

I blame the old firm.

All joking and wind ups aside, I really do blame the old firm for this kind of pish still being acceptable to some in Scotland.

As opposed to blaming this kind of pish still being acceptable to some in Scotland for the Old Firm

Aye, I suppose.

A bit of the chicken and the egg, though obviously political and religious intollernace in Northern Ireland out dates the old firm. Perhaps if the yahoos from Northern Ireland didn't attatch themselves to two bigotted Scottish football teams their problems might have disappeared somwehat over the years but as long as the intollenrant arses have colours to wear to show which side they're intollerant of the problem will continue for years. :(

I blame the old firm.

All joking and wind ups aside, I really do blame the old firm for this kind of pish still being acceptable to some in Scotland.

You blame the Old Firm for everything Deky dry.gif

You blame the Old Firm for everything Deky dry.gif

I only blame the old firm for things which I feel are their fault.

The fact everything is their fault is mere coincidence.

Don't knock Sean, he was a conscientious murderer with a great sense of humour..

That is brilliant.

Good to hear that he enjoyed the craic.

(For those unfamiliar with the term thats craic as in jocular irish humour as opposed to the 'crack' of RUC gunfire as he made his escape)

Archived