Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And a big increase in those that consider themselves Northern Irish

Which can only be a good thing. I bet (and hope) there is a heavy weighting towards the under 30s within that.

As more NI people see themselves as affiliated to NI rather than Britain or ROI, it'll be a better place.

ETA: Looking at the stats for myself, interesting to see that despite there being a very narrow gap between Protestant and Catholics, 48% consider themselves British compared to 28% as Irish. Therefore a sizeable Catholic contingent seeing themselves as NI or British. Would love to understand what the 1% who said they were Irish and British but not Northern Irish were thinking...

Linky

1355263430[/url]' post='6886024']

As more NI people see themselves as affiliated to NI rather than Britain or ROI, it'll be a better place.

Totally agree with this. It can only be a good thing that more on both sides see themselves as Northern Irish and start to identify with their fellow Northern Irish rather than looking to Britain or the Republic of Ireland

Just read that some unionist politicians are receiving death threats. Looks like some nationalists want to get involved too. Worrying

Totally agree with this. It can only be a good thing that more on both sides see themselves as Northern Irish and start to identify with their fellow Northern Irish rather than looking to Britain or the Republic of Ireland

Just read that some unionist politicians are receiving death threats. Looks like some nationalists want to get involved too. Worrying

Peace must be bad for business

I heard Peter Robinson talking about these last night - there wasn't too much detail given. I assumed - maybe wrongly - that these death threats were coming from so called Loyalists. Maybe they have come from Republicans, but Republican death threats to Unionist oiticians would hardly be big news.

I notice Kevin, that yet again you have ignored the question :-

I'll ask a third time, you apologist p***k.

"Why, on the same day that Nationalist politicians, voted on the Belfast flag issue, did they use their votes in Newry to name a child's playpark after a murdering IRA scumbag?"

Do you condemn the Nationalists for this? Yes, or no?

For me the politicians have created all the issues here out of absolutely nothing. Utterly mental.

My wife is from Belfast and I've been visiting the place regulary for years now, never seen even the slightest hint of trouble. Most people I know from there just want to get on with life, and for the most part the place is no different and the people no different to you and me over here.

But there's always that underlying tension and people willing to jump up at the slightest provocation. So why provoke them? Utterly barking.

From a purely selfish point of view, I hope they hurry the f**k up and calm down. We're going over for Christmas and are staying in a hotel just off Shaftesbury Square (booked because our favourite restaurants in Belfast are in Shaftesbury Square) - scene of a whole heap of rioting last week. And the wife's family live in the vicinity of Upper Newtonards Road, where the cop car was petrol bombed the other day.

So yeah, this should be fun.

For me the politicians have created all the issues here out of absolutely nothing. Utterly mental.

My wife is from Belfast and I've been visiting the place regulary for years now, never seen even the slightest hint of trouble.

Yep, a cock measuring contest between the unspeakables.

It's a shame for Belfast, as it was starting to get a good reputation as a good weekend destination for a city break. A few friends went there for New Year last year and had an amazing time.

“@DarrenClarke60: So sad to see,from the other side of the world,what's going on at home in NI. We have come so far,please compromise.#ulster #flegs”

And a reply to his message

“@Tippers180: @DarrenClarke60 Sinn Fein/IRA dont know what compromise is,they want everything their way or nothing.Sad times indeed but we wont surrender”

Most people I know from there just want to get on with life, and for the most part the place is no different and the people no different to you and me over here.

No wait, this can't possibly be true. They're all bigots over there I've been told. Do you seriously think I'm going to believe the word of someone who goes there regularly and is married to someone from Northern Ireland when I have the informed opinion of someone who's never set foot in NI and has learned their opinions from the internet and watching TV? Seriously man, wise up

Enjoy your trip. I'm sure it will have calmed down by then

Yep, a cock measuring contest between the unspeakables.

It's a shame for Belfast, as it was starting to get a good reputation as a good weekend destination for a city break. A few friends went there for New Year last year and had an amazing time.

We had my wedding over there and everyone had a few days out beforehand - they all loved it. It is particularly good for restaurants - even down to the level of takeaways (best chippy ever - The Golden Chip in Dundonald). Some really good pubs too. Also the only place where I've ever been in a group that has had a £150 round of shots in a nightclub as well...

Some beautiful areas as well (Botanic Gardens, much of the uni area really, Stormont) and loads of history.

Just, unfortunately, a smattering of nutters, and - even more unfortunately - a fair amount of generally right minded people who have just enough of this kind of thing in their backgrounds to make them lose it at this kind of provocation.

That said, I still blame the politicians. I just can't get my head round why you'd do something that you KNOW is going to be controversial and cause this level of upset for absolutely no reason at all. Said flag wasn't causing anyone any problems, and wasn't upsetting anyone. In fact, I've walked past that city hall a thousand times and if you'd asked me I'd have had no idea what was up there. Absolutely mental.

Edit to add - as far as outright bigotry goes, I've heard far more of that from people from Glasgow and the west coast of Scotland than I've ever heard from people in NI. When I first met more Glasgow folk when I went to Uni I couldn't believe some of the stuff they came out with - casual sectarianism that wasn't shocking to them, just normal from their upbringing.

It was like switching on a sitcom from the 70s and hearing them talking about "darkies" and that kind of thing - I'd never heard anything like it before but, like casual 70s racism was, it was just run of the mill to them!

Just, unfortunately, a smattering of nutters, and - even more unfortunately - a fair amount of generally right minded people who have just enough of this kind of thing in their backgrounds to make them lose it at this kind of provocation.

That's what I found surprising. Even the people I know here who come from NI do at times slip into "us and them" stuff about the political situation, education, etc. There's definitely still a bit of ingrained sectarianism even amongst people who in every other sense are decent folk that just want to get on with things.

That said, I still blame the politicians. I just can't get my head round why you'd do something that you KNOW is going to be controversial and cause this level of upset for absolutely no reason at all. Said flag wasn't causing anyone any problems, and wasn't upsetting anyone. In fact, I've walked past that city hall a thousand times and if you'd asked me I'd have had no idea what was up there. Absolutely mental.

Yep - total arseholes.

No wait, this can't possibly be true. They're all bigots over there I've been told. Do you seriously think I'm going to believe the word of someone who goes there regularly and is married to someone from Northern Ireland when I have the informed opinion of someone who's never set foot in NI and has learned their opinions from the internet and watching TV? Seriously man, wise up

Well exactly. I particulary value the input of those that are apparently unaware of there being "Nationalists" in Northern Irish politics.

Archived