Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question(s):

Do the "staunch" community celebrate St Patrick's day and/or support the all Ireland rugby team without fear of reprisal, or is it completely incompatible with British identity?

I know a few Northern Irish protestants who proudly do both, but they would very much be classed as the "post-Troubles generation" and have something of a dual identity.

Cheers in advance, I'm simply curious.

Quick question(s):

Do the "staunch" community celebrate St Patrick's day and/or support the all Ireland rugby team without fear of reprisal, or is it completely incompatible with British identity?

I know a few Northern Irish protestants who proudly do both, but they would very much be classed as the "post-Troubles generation" and have something of a dual identity.

Not a direct answer to your question, but an interesting titbit.

Was reading the obits for Davy Walsh who recently died aged 92.

In the 1950 WC Qualifiers , he played for the IFA and the FAI in the same tournament. (A Norn based all Ireland team, and a Rep based all ireland team).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Walsh

Forced FIFA into doing what they did.

Quick question(s):

The Irish rugby team has always been supported by Northern Ireland protestants, not just the "post-Troubles generation".

St Patricks Day wouldn't be celebrated as such, but it is certainly marked/commemorated. There are many Church of Ireland (anglican/episcopalian) churches called St Patrick, I've a feeling the CoI have services - maybe not on St Patrick's Day - to commemorate it.

Quick question(s):

Ulster Protestants probably played an even larger role in the Irish international rugby side back in the amateur era than they do today.

I would support it more if the IRFU wasn't so politically biased. They were supposed to alternate games between Belfast and Dublin, but that stopped in the Fifties or Sixties.

As an all-Island team it should fly both flags, or none, and use both anthems, or none, and I would favour none as I find anthems ridiculous. Rugby fans have also talked of bias in selection procedures but I'll leave that to others who know much better.

I would support it more if the IRFU wasn't so politically biased. They were supposed to alternate games between Belfast and Dublin, but that stopped in the Fifties or Sixties.

As an all-Island team it should fly both flags, or none, and use both anthems, or none, and I would favour none as I find anthems ridiculous. Rugby fans have also talked of bias in selection procedures but I'll leave that to others who know much better.

Interesting article about the last 5 nations game at Ravenhill in 1954

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2007/feb/27/comment.gdnsport3

Scotland also lost the last 5 nations game hosted in Swansea that year on our way to the wooden spoon.

Quick question(s):

I was in Belfast on 18th March 10 or so years ago and there was an article on the front page of the Belfast Newsletter (a Unionist leaning paper, I believe) about Ian Paisley Snr giving a lecture the previous day about the significance of St. Patrick's Day to Northern Ireland's Unionist community.

The pictures in the same paper of the celebrations in the city centre seemed to pretty much exclusively involve the waving of the tricolour, right enough.

• 1 month later...

Well, that's the voting done, voted for 9 out of the 12 on the ballot paper, 6 seats up for grabs.

The 3 I didn't vote for have got in + the SDLP man. 2 seats yet to be declared.

The 3 I didn't vote for have got in + the SDLP man. 2 seats yet to be declared.

All filled, 3 SF, 1 SDLP, 1 UU and 1 DUP. Willie McCrea's son lost his seat, his running mate squeezed past him to take the last seat.

• 2 months later...

Maybe off topic but just watching a (probably) shitty Sci Fi film called Live Die Repeat with Brendan Gleason interviewing Tom Cruise with a UDF sign behind him. I think it means United Defence Force in this case though.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Belfast tour guide Billy Dickson (69), who received his caddy after a five-month wait, said the "horrendous mistake" had taken away from his enjoyment of having it.

"There was huge demand so I was pleased when mine finally arrived, but when I looked at the back of the caddy I was horrified to find that Northern Ireland was listed as Ireland," he said.

:lol:

Archived