Scottish Football Reconstruction

Great to see EK FC in the Lowland League. I think ultimately that is what will revolutionise Scottish football: new clubs (maybe via mergers) working their way up into the professional leagues. I don't think in the long term it matters much who joins from the juniors/EoS/SoS.

Agree about EKFC ... it is a good economic base, in fact the biggest in Scotland not currently served by a senior team. The next would be Clydebank .... Irvine ... the Three Towns ... Glenrothes .... Port Glasgow .. Bathgate ...Bellshill.

Don`t see any EoS, SoS or Highland names in there ...

Where exactly do you think babies come from ?

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The proposed play off are a joke, why not keep them like the other play offs. They want the winners of a 3rd and 4th place home and away play off to have a home and away against the team finishing second. Then after all that the winner will play the team finishing second bottom of the SPL over two games. So one team can end up playing six games to get promoted whilst the one finishing second bottom of the SPL can play only two games to stay up. Preposterous, the self centred SPL is still alive and kicking.

I'm looking forward to the possible 10 (yes, that's ten) games against opponents in the SPiFL Dead Pool 2

Theoretically it would be possible to have 12 against us this season

Actually whoever suggested smaller clubs are responsible for decline is quite close to the truth ... but because Scottish football is largely un-competitive, not because they exist. Strathclyde has half the population, but now in the PRO section has only 15 clubs to 57 from the `sticks`. That can NEVER work economically or from a playing point of view. There needs to be much more balance towards Strathclyde ... and much better competition. Above all ... we need LEGISLATION to ensure that CLUBS are fit for purpose, because they aren`t recruiting enough people, nor producing enough quality talent.

I don`t think any country would talk about limiting the PRO competition (except USA) to create competition. Football is a very widespread game and needs every possible input .. as long as it is structured. Lots of countries do that very successfully. Why can`t we do it ... one reason only ... THE SFA.

That's absolute keek. Strathclyde may have the bigger population but most of them support two clubs. How can East Kilbride's foray into League Football be good for Scottish football? If they maintain the fanbase they have they will barely survive. If they increase it will be through pinching fans from the likes of Motherwell and Hamilton. How does that help?

Indeed. If you're Auchinleck I doubt you'd be tempted to fight through a lowland league without many of you're rivals just to get to a league with 2 trips to Peterhead, Elgin, and Montrose (with the prize at the end of that still only being the 3rd tier of Scottish football). But you might be tempted if the prize for winning a 'West Central Premier Division' was a place in a league of 18 which will have a spread of long trips but also games against teams like Ayr and Airdrie for a chance to make it to Scotland's 2nd tier.

If we want every team involved in a pyramid then we have to make it a sensible system for all the teams involved. Something like this would be a good aim IMO:

Tier 1: Scottish Premier League (12 teams)

Tier 2: Scottish First Division (12 teams)

Tier 3: Scottish National League (18 teams)

Tier 4: North League/ East South Premier/ West Central Premier/ North East Premier (or similar regional leagues - 16 teams each)

Tier 5 and beyond: Regional leagues below each premier regional.

that really popular 12-12-18 set up , will those top two divisions split up into 3 groups of 8..........

that really popular 12-12-18 set up , will those top two divisions split up into 3 groups of 8..........

Where did I mention anything about 2 divisions splitting into 3 groups of 8? I was pointing out the kind of structure that would have a much better chance of encouraging a pyramid system in which all clubs (including the Juniors) might be interested in joining.

I could have suggested 10-10-16 like it is in Switzerland, or 16-16 like it is in Sweden or Norway, or 16-18 like it is in Belgium, or 10-10 like in Austria, or 12-12 like in Denmark - but I wanted to illustrate my point with a system which didn't simply chuck out any of the current 42 teams. I could have made my point with 14-14-14, or something similar, but since my system was based on 4 promotion/relegation places between the regionals and national league I thought an 18 team league was more appropraite to that sort of ratio.

Where did I mention anything about 2 divisions splitting into 3 groups of 8? I was pointing out the kind of structure that would have a much better chance of encouraging a pyramid system in which all clubs (including the Juniors) might be interested in joining.

I could have suggested 10-10-16 like it is in Switzerland, or 16-16 like it is in Sweden or Norway, or 16-18 like it is in Belgium, or 10-10 like in Austria, or 12-12 like in Denmark - but I wanted to illustrate my point with a system which didn't simply chuck out any of the current 42 teams. I could have made my point with 14-14-14, or something similar, but since my system was based on 4 promotion/relegation places between the regionals and national league I thought an 18 team league was more appropraite to that sort of ratio.

you didn't i obviously asked a question (while missing a ?)

12-12 would work 18 wouldnt work

you didn't i obviously asked a question (while missing a ?)

12-12 would work 18 wouldnt work

I'm happy enough to disagree on a league of 18. It's my opinion that it would be really interesting if you had, say, 2 automatic promotion places and 4 play-off places. You get 17 different away trips, plenty of meaningful league positions, less of a chance of playing the same team more than twice a season, and so on. I think it's an excellent idea. I also think that 10-16-16 would work well (if we're trying to keep the numbers to 42).

It's my opinion that bigger leagues, with 16 or 18 teams, are best where appropriate. I don't think it's appropriate in the top flight primarily because the dominance of the Old Firm means that there aren't enough places to fight for at the top of the table (and therefore too many midtable positions). Otherwise it should be encouraged. I don't mind if people have the opinion that they would prefer to challenge between two leagues of 10 (it's simply a personal preference), but there will never be an all-through pyramid system with that in place at the bottom of the S(P)FL IMO - the incentive just isn't there.

I'm happy enough to disagree on a league of 18. It's my opinion that it would be really interesting if you had, say, 2 automatic promotion places and 4 play-off places. You get 17 different away trips, plenty of meaningful league positions, less of a chance of playing the same team more than twice a season, and so on. I think it's an excellent idea. I also think that 10-16-16 would work well (if we're trying to keep the numbers to 42).

It's my opinion that bigger leagues, with 16 or 18 teams, are best where appropriate. I don't think it's appropriate in the top flight primarily because the dominance of the Old Firm means that there aren't enough places to fight for at the top of the table (and therefore too many midtable positions). Otherwise it should be encouraged. I don't mind if people have the opinion that they would prefer to challenge between two leagues of 10 (it's simply a personal preference), but there will never be an all-through pyramid system with that in place at the bottom of the S(P)FL IMO - the incentive just isn't there.

i just don't think i will ever see the appeal in leagues of 16 or 18 , i would (still dislike) understand 20 ,what should be telling is that its largely fans outwith the bottom two divisions who seem to want them to merge

the only worse ideas than a 18 team 3rd tier is full regionalisation outwith the top tier (mind that :huh: ) & colt teams

i just don't think i will ever see the appeal in leagues of 16 or 18 , i would (still dislike) understand 20 ,what should be telling is that its largely fans outwith the bottom two divisions who seem to want them to merge

the only worse ideas than a 18 team 3rd tier is full regionalisation outwith the top tier (mind that :huh: ) & colt teams

Morton spent a decent amount if time in those leagues in recent years. I would have preferred one larger league. I still feel the same in the first division.

I know that plenty of fans down there like the 10-10, I don't have a problem with that in itself. But I do think it is counterproductive to an all through pyramid system.

• 3 months later...

The real question is money , sponsorship overall and we are not competitive the product is very poor except for the odd Celtic / Rangers foray into the past/present into European tournaments , the rest is dross and is destorying the game.

We are on a slow suicide mission.

The mereger idear is not without some merit I agree one has to look who merge with whom but it could be sold if the product was advertised properly.

Secondly the slow death has to be faced that the clubs one is trying to preserve will die anyway, so change is crucial.

How many Scots now see English or other europrean teams as worth a look ! and with cheap travel broader horizons shall we see cheap supporter flights to Bracelona , Madrid as well as English cities ! to see top flight football .

We have to become competitive not just commercially but in the quality of football we produce , our game died a long time ago in regard to quality and this needs to be addressed at all levels. The superiority of the old firm has become a drain on the game affecting them as much as all other clubs but thats a political cultural question of history ,why we have a culturally teams with an Irish / English heritage !

in part its probably part of our colonial past and present psychie I suppose , we are too disconnected culturally to have a independent sense of self warts and all.

A league of 12- 14 professional teams max with local feeder clubs well supported finaicaily from the top clubs with there own tournamnets. A direct link to each professional club may be worth exploring so supporters could be encouraged to support both the amateour clubs as well as a professional club at the same time obvioulsy one solution would be a summer / winter season for each flight !

The 'reconstrction' has been cringeworthy garbage from top to bottom. Still not a sponsor, thousands upon thousands of STILL empty seats, and the gall to name the leagues after where the two p***ks driving it come from. Ok it may not be entirely their fault but what have they done to fix it??? Robbed the THIRD DIVISION ( stick yer league 2 up yer arse doncaster) clubs of 25k in their 'fairer distribution model', the result of the scaremongering that ultimately has come about due to the inability to deal with what happened to rangers, and the fear of what the SPL clubs would lose.

Longmuir imo was a fantastic administrator in the ogilvie/taylor mould, who made the SFL cracking deals with his links to the drinks industry and they get rid of him??? Game poorer for his absence :(

The real question is money , sponsorship overall and we are not competitive the product is very poor except for the odd Celtic / Rangers foray into the past/present into European tournaments , the rest is dross and is destorying the game.

We are on a slow suicide mission.

The mereger idear is not without some merit I agree one has to look who merge with whom but it could be sold if the product was advertised properly.

Secondly the slow death has to be faced that the clubs one is trying to preserve will die anyway, so change is crucial.

How many Scots now see English or other europrean teams as worth a look ! and with cheap travel broader horizons shall we see cheap supporter flights to Bracelona , Madrid as well as English cities ! to see top flight football .

We have to become competitive not just commercially but in the quality of football we produce , our game died a long time ago in regard to quality and this needs to be addressed at all levels. The superiority of the old firm has become a drain on the game affecting them as much as all other clubs but thats a political cultural question of history ,why we have a culturally teams with an Irish / English heritage !

in part its probably part of our colonial past and present psychie I suppose , we are too disconnected culturally to have a independent sense of self warts and all.

A league of 12- 14 professional teams max with local feeder clubs well supported finaicaily from the top clubs with there own tournamnets. A direct link to each professional club may be worth exploring so supporters could be encouraged to support both the amateour clubs as well as a professional club at the same time obvioulsy one solution would be a summer / winter season for each flight !

and a player draft

and equal distribution of money

and a fiver to get in

and a sectional league cup

and bunnets and whippets and trams

• 2 weeks later...

Of that iv no doubt ecto.....he was a businessman, who was quite good at keeping everyone sweet. My point is more centred towards the self-mocking manner in which the bad old ways and guys are held up as objects of all things evil, and the seemingly modern way of transparency, even spreads of cash through the game, etc will bring even more agendas to the fore........despite what they tell you. Im only interested in the end product....which imho is entertaining competitive football making the headlines, not this soundbite a week from two gobshites whov weedled there way in the door because everyones fallen out with each other and they are the superheroes here to save us. :P

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived