MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Ortega gained a bit of my respect at the weekend. I really thought Volko would walk through him but you could see Volk was hesitant at times, he knew Ortega could tie him up in a second and it happened in the third. Incredible guts from both fighters and a rematch would be fine by me. 

Diaz/Lawlor was a weird fight. Diaz is out of shape and didn't want to take any damage. I thought it was a bit pathetic the way he gave up but I do wonder if he's basically being forced to fight this contract out before he's properly too old to even get in the cage. I'd hoped he would come back with fire in his belly but there was nothing. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This Gaithje Chandler fight is fucking unreal. Both of them have been caught clean as a whistle multiple times and they are still throwing bombs at each other’s jaws. These guys are just different beasts. The way they are able to recover after being rocked is beyond me. 

How a judge could give all 3 rounds to Gathje was ridiculous. Chandler clearly won the 1st round.
2nd I gave to Gathje, via the KD, but I thought Chandler threw the 3rd, & fight, through bravado. Going round, with his hands down allowing Gathje to score at will; having got the takedown, made an arse of it, yet getting out of the defensive position with ease.

40 minutes ago, kiddy said:

How a judge could give all 3 rounds to Gathje was ridiculous. Chandler clearly won the 1st round.

Aye that was never a 30-27 score in its life. I thought the same as it was read out, although the first round was very close, Chandler landed the cleaner and more hurtful shots. 

Gathje is able to just eat shots for fun and still throw power punches back. When he got caught in the eye and turned away, before the referee stepped in, Chandler basically got a free shot at him which landed clean, and Gathje hardly flinched. 

Was a really great card, loved all the fights. I wanted Colby to get mauled but it was a great fight and we finally saw his mask slip when the final buzzer went - he actually acted like a decent human being and seemed to admit that his persona and chat is all nonsense to Usman. It's nice to know he might not be a complete walloper, and I gained a bit of respect for him, but I'd still prefer if he just acted like a decent human being at all times. 

• 3 weeks later...

Murgliotta with some of the worst refereeing in the history of the sport, and that’s saying something considering some of his previous.

ETA: just realised it was actually boxing. Whoever put a) a washed Frank Mir in with former world champion (and recent world title challenger) Kubrat Pulev, and b) allowed Murgliotta to ref it, has some serious questions to answer. That’s fucking insane.

Murgliotta with some of the worst refereeing in the history of the sport, and that’s saying something considering some of his previous.

ETA: just realised it was actually boxing. Whoever put a) a washed Frank Mir in with former world champion (and recent world title challenger) Kubrat Pulev, and b) allowed Murgliotta to ref it, has some serious questions to answer. That’s fucking insane.
Someone is going to die in these pantomimes. Im always stunned when boxing fans say they are ok with it.

I have always said a safely run seniors tour would be great. Tyson v Holy, Toney v Jones and the like. 3 rounder exhibitions, bit of after dinner speaking into the bargain or whatever, but this carry on of putting amateurd in with pros, or putting washed up MMA lads in with live boxers like Pulev....

Mir is lucky to be alive after a referee giving Pulev free shots at him. An absolute fucking shambles.

Kevin Lee punted from UFC. Some folk are surprised but when you get so lazy that you don't bother your arse to apply for an Adderall exemption like you've always done and end up with a 6 month suspension, after losing 5 of your last 7 fights, you're asking for it. I don't think he's a top 5 guy anyway.

• 2 weeks later...