MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

I thought it was pretty sad watching McGregor at the weekend. This is what happens when you sit out the prime of your career and try to waltz back in. His family is made for life so perhaps you can't say he made the wrong choice, but from an MMA standpoint it absolutely was the wrong thing to do. It seemed to me that he thought he'd walk in there, catch Dustin with a couple of lefts and that would be that. Didn't show enough respect to the work Dustin has put in since their last fight. It does show the effect McGregor has had on MAA though, guys like Dustin and Holloway both fell to defeats to McGregor and both saw from that point on they'd need to work their bollocks off to match that level. McGregor says "great fighters are still levels below him" but I don't believe they are any more. He needed to win that fight to keep his hype train going and it felt like a handing over of the baton a bit - I don't think McGregor is able to call the shots he used to now. 

Thought Dan Hooker approached his fight all wrong too, another who looked like he thought he'd breeze his fight and ended up shocked when he took a power punch. 

Absolutely delighted for JoJo though. I thought she was excellent, she's making really good progress after moving to Vegas. The diversity of her attack is improving and her clinch work is arguably the best in the division now. She deserves a shot at Shevchenko.

McGregor has probably gone as far as he can with the camp he's in. He's not sparring the best of the best with SBG. In the last 2-3 years calf kicks have become prevalent in every single stand up MMA fighters game. It says a lot that it was the first time McGregor has dealt with them. I wouldn't say he's done at the top as he can clearly finish people with his left hand but it would take something crazy for him to  get near the belt now. Poirier vs Oliveira and Chandler vs Gaetjhe is the way to go. 
Leg kicks are to McGregor as Left hooks to the body are to DC.....

Hes gone as far as he can full stop in MMA. The point has been made well enough by yourself and Moonster below.

These guys were working while Conor wasn't and they have left him behind. They are now in their prime and hungry to make their name and their money. Conor cant go back to competing with that.

Lightweight is a murderer's row even without Khabib and Conor is quite simply too far off it and not committed enough to go in there with these guys and look anything other than a washed up old lion who doesnt belong among the younger, stronger lions.

Look at Chandler for example. Hes come in to UFC and hes there to make his coin. He made a good fighter in Dan Hooker look utterly terrified of him. McGregor cant stand in that fire anymore.*

*despite my belief that all of the above is self evident, I hope it doesnt prevent him from trying. Another few sound thrashings would do him no harm whatsoever in learning some humility.

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Leg kicks are to McGregor as Left hooks to the body are to DC.....

Hes gone as far as he can full stop in MMA. The point has been made well enough by yourself and Moonster below.

These guys were working while Conor wasn't and they have left him behind. They are now in their prime and hungry to make their name and their money. Conor cant go back to competing with that.

Lightweight is a murderer's row even without Khabib and Conor is quite simply too far off it and not committed enough to go in there with these guys and look anything other than a washed up old lion who doesnt belong among the younger, stronger lions.

Look at Chandler for example. Hes come in to UFC and hes there to make his coin. He made a good fighter in Dan Hooker look utterly terrified of him. McGregor cant stand in that fire anymore.*

*despite my belief that all of the above is self evident, I hope it doesnt prevent him from trying. Another few sound thrashings would do him no harm whatsoever in learning some humility.

Yeah I agree he's achieved all he can in MMA, it says a lot about him that he still wants to get in there and compete and I have a lot of respect for him for doing so. I don't think I can count him out entirely as a fighter as he has had some stellar performances over the years. He has to be willing to put in the work though and actually approach fights cautiously. He waltzed in the cage on saturday like he'd won already and was just trying to one and done Poirier when if he actually looked at Poirier's fights at 155 over the last 7 years he'd notice he has a great chin and is willing to put everything on the line. 

Do I think we've seen the best of McGregor? Yes, but it doesn't mean he can't put a run together and fight for the belt again. 

He'll fight Nate then Poirier if he gets passed him IMO.

I actually think Nate wins that fight btw.

Edited by staggy1929

Yeah I agree he's achieved all he can in MMA, it says a lot about him that he still wants to get in there and compete and I have a lot of respect for him for doing so. I don't think I can count him out entirely as a fighter as he has had some stellar performances over the years. He has to be willing to put in the work though and actually approach fights cautiously. He waltzed in the cage on saturday like he'd won already and was just trying to one and done Poirier when if he actually looked at Poirier's fights at 155 over the last 7 years he'd notice he has a great chin and is willing to put everything on the line. 
Do I think we've seen the best of McGregor? Yes, but it doesn't mean he can't put a run together and fight for the belt again. 
He'll fight Nate then Poirier if he gets passed him IMO.
I think Nate is all wrong for him now unless he also has regressed massivley, which is very possible. It's the sort of fight he should be going for. Should be nowhere near Gaethje, Chandler or Khabib if he fights again.

Fun, fan friendly fights are his domain now. Diaz or Ferguson would get people watching. For someone with a name that's probably beatable and in good fights, what about Pettis?

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think Nate is all wrong for him now unless he also has regressed massivley, which is very possible. It's the sort of fight he should be going for. Should be nowhere near Gaethje, Chandler or Khabib if he fights again.

Fun, fan friendly fights are his domain now. Diaz or Ferguson would get people watching. For someone with a name that's probably beatable and in good fights, what about Pettis?

Pettis is with PFL I think now, I think anyone that's aggressive with a good chin is a problem for McGregor right now. Holloway is in that horrible spot where he won't get a shot at the belt because he's lost twice to the champ, I'd be interested to see him vs McGregor.

The best max Holloway fights are at FTW even if its not for the belt.
Zabit, Rodriguez, zombie.

No other fight for McGregor other than Diaz. For the money he fights for he needs a win and although there is every chance nate beats him its still winnable. He can't be fighting the top guys off a loss and the lower guys it really is a risk to fight them. A loss and he's straight to obscurity.

Maby Dos Anjos if not nate (red panties night etc) but I think dos anjos flattens him.

59 minutes ago, the tungston weasel said:

No other fight for McGregor other than Diaz. For the money he fights for he needs a win and although there is every chance nate beats him its still winnable. He can't be fighting the top guys off a loss and the lower guys it really is a risk to fight them. A loss and he's straight to obscurity.

As we've seen though, Diaz has come out and said he wants Poirier. Given that Diaz has only been taking money fights in the last 5 years, I think that says a lot that even the appeal of another McGregor fight is less than taking on Poirier. Are Nate's pockets full enough from the first two fights and he just wants to fight Dustin to make a point? Or does he realise a fight with McGregor won't necessarily make him as much money as Poirier would? I think it's the latter. 

It's got to be Poirier vs Khabib first though, if Khabib is indeed coming back. I don't think it'd be fair to give anyone else a shot right now, even though Khabib has already destroyed Poirier. Chandler can fight Gaethje, McGregor can fight Hooker (if he doesn't disappear to fight Manny Pac), not fussed about what Diaz does tbh he's not interested in a belt, only money. That's what I'd do if I was Sean Shelby, I reckon you might see Chandler get a shot against Khabib though. 

As we've seen though, Diaz has come out and said he wants Poirier. Given that Diaz has only been taking money fights in the last 5 years, I think that says a lot that even the appeal of another McGregor fight is less than taking on Poirier. Are Nate's pockets full enough from the first two fights and he just wants to fight Dustin to make a point? Or does he realise a fight with McGregor won't necessarily make him as much money as Poirier would? I think it's the latter. 
It's got to be Poirier vs Khabib first though, if Khabib is indeed coming back. I don't think it'd be fair to give anyone else a shot right now, even though Khabib has already destroyed Poirier. Chandler can fight Gaethje, McGregor can fight Hooker (if he doesn't disappear to fight Manny Pac), not fussed about what Diaz does tbh he's not interested in a belt, only money. That's what I'd do if I was Sean Shelby, I reckon you might see Chandler get a shot against Khabib though. 
Pretty much agree.

Poirier definitely deserves another shot at khabib but I can't see khabib going for it.
If we do get him back for one more id rather see him fight Oliveira than Chandler though.

You Tuber Jake Paul to "Box" Ben Askren. Report SSN.

It’s not an exaggeration to say Askren is one of the worst strikers in the history of top level MMA. Jake Paul will win that comfortably.

Regarding Khabib, there is just nothing in a Poirier rematch for him, IMO. He would just beat him again. I know it, you know it, Khabib knows it, Dustin knows it. It does nothing for his legacy whatsoever and if he was solely interested in money he’d have just taken the McGregor rematch, cigared it and waltzed off to dive in to his pool of coin Scrooge Mcduck style. I imagine it’s GSP or nothing for him at this stage.

I don't think GSP wants that fight at all. GSP does my nut in a bit these days, keeps talking about fights in the media when he has absolutely no interest in actually coming back. He could literally just phone Dana and book a fight tomorrow if he wanted, but he talks about them then does nothing. Poirier is the only one who actually deserves another shot at Khabib in that division right now, regardless of how we think the fight will go (I agree Khabib will smash). Chandler has jumped up to number 2 in the rankings though, I reckon Dana will jump on that Hooker knock out and serve up someone new for Khabib. 

56 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't think GSP wants that fight at all. GSP does my nut in a bit these days, keeps talking about fights in the media when he has absolutely no interest in actually coming back. He could literally just phone Dana and book a fight tomorrow if he wanted, but he talks about them then does nothing. Poirier is the only one who actually deserves another shot at Khabib in that division right now, regardless of how we think the fight will go (I agree Khabib will smash). Chandler has jumped up to number 2 in the rankings though, I reckon Dana will jump on that Hooker knock out and serve up someone new for Khabib. 

GSP has had one fight in the last 7 years, and it was against Michael Bisping, who, good career though he had, was hardly an elite fighter, and even that was over 3 years ago. If I was him I'd want absolutely nothing to do with Khabib either. As has been discussed above (which I completely agree with), you can't take extended time away from MMA and expect to compete against the top guys in a division, let alone one of, if not the most dominant mixed martial artist of all time. Even with the likely weight advantage GSP would have (I'd image a catch weight between welter and middle), I'd imagine Khabib would pressure him to death in the first couple of rounds and then absolutely maul him when he was gassed, a 40 year old who hasn't fought in 4 years (by the time it came round at the earliest) just isn't going to deal with that.

I liked GSP as a fighter, but his day is done at the very top, would like to see him avoid the sort of annihilations that Chuck Liddell suffered when just hanging on too long.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Chandler is the big sell for a Khabib opponent if there's to be one, in much the same way that Askren was briefly before turning out a busted flush. Khabib has eaten everything the UFC has been able to serve up so the logical thing is to go with the relative mystique of the Bellator guy. He done himself a lot of favours by looking like an absolute destroyer against Hooker. Theres no selling Khabib v someone he already effortlessly bodied.

McGregor seems to be making all the right noises with regards to knuckling down and fighting again, and there’s no doubt he brings a lot to the UFC table. Mostly money and PPV buys. 

As has been said by Dana White and others, it must be very hard to motivate yourself when you are in the position McGregor is. He has came from working on building sites, training after work every day of the week, sacrificing time with his friends and family, keeping his weight under control, and probably much more that you don’t see from relative unknowns as they try to climb the ladder in the sport. I’m sure as he went through all that sacrifice, McGregor was working towards a vision in his head about what he wanted to achieve in his MMA career, and I would be quite confident in saying the life he is living now is something he could not have imagined, even if he says it is. 

It’s why guys like Roger Federer or Tiger Woods are so revered. They have been at, or near, the top of their respective sports for years, they have became multi-millionaires from their sport. They live very comfortable lifestyles, can afford all the luxuries in life that you could imagine...but they still get up every morning to practice, train to keep themselves in peak physical condition, eat the right food every day. I’ve obviously never been in a similar position, but I would think it would be very hard to find the motivation to continue when you have achieved everything you could have imagined, and more. 

• 2 weeks later...