MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Right, I'm starting from Bellator 89. It's about time I started watching this.

Doug Marshall vs. Andreas Sprang

If anyone has watched the old WEC shows, they've seen Doug Marshall, and they know that he's an absolute dickhead to be sure. He used to be much bigger. That was a lovely finish right there from Marshall, but then he goes and gives Spang's corner a bunch of grief including the middle finger, which only cements what we already knew about him. The punch out was brutal there, and the referee was right to step in even though he stood right back up again. Both guys were walking through some hard shots, and Spang even looked like he might even be taking control on the feet, but you can't rule out the power of Marshall.

Brett Cooper vs. Norman Paraisy

This was a terrific showing for Cooper. The first round seemed a lot more even as Paraisy was bouncing right back every time, and was even landing some nice combos and got a takedown of his own. He ate a massive uppercut in the second round though, and from that moment, Cooper really dominated the fight, with lots of takedowns, and there was one in particular where he really hurt Paraisy. Paraisy showed some real spirit in the third round, knowing he was in trouble and doing everything he could to even live with Cooper let along get back into the fight, but Cooper was just dominating and did some great work through the fight. If he continues that sort of form, he is gonna be hard to stop.

Dan Cramer vs. Brian Rogers

This is an incredible fight here. A ton of action. I really liked the takedowns that Rogers was landing through the fight. Thought that Cramer was being a bit naive when he was being caught by it so many times. He did eventually find a way to try and counter it, but he let himself fall for it almost every time. Both guys seemed to be landing big shots whenever they stood, and both guys also seemed to land some cracking stuff in the clinch. The big exchange with a minute to go had my heart in my mouth. It was amazing that Rogers had that left in him, but he really caught Cramer. Both guys came out of this fight with a lot of credit though. The winner was obvious when the 30-27 scorecard came out, as Cramer was the only guy who realistically won all three rounds.

Eduardo Dantas © vs. Marcos Galvao - Bellator Bantamweight Championship

I enjoyed this fight while it was on. I was a bit worried about Dantas a couple of times. He wound up getting into a pure wild brawl with him when he knocked Galvao down, but Galvao was fighting back quickly and Dantas while looking for that finish got involved in a big war, which he didn't want. He calmed himself down though and it was soon after that he got that big uppercut. Good to see some good exploitation entertainment as they show Galvao's wife. "Tough to watch." Aye, and I don't want to see it. Sort that shit out and I'll be happier to watcn the show.

Doug Marshall is a grade-a asshole, "mess with the rhino you get the horn" f**k off! Fucking gladiator trunks too, what a bell. He took chances dropping his hands the way he did. Think he sealed the stoppage with the walk-away too, Sprang rolled into defense pretty damn quickly for me.

Agree re. Cooper, gave him the first round and it just got more comprehensive from there.

Thought Brian Rogers was poor compared to his fights i've seen previously, but i noticed he was kinda squinting out his eye from early on so maybe that affected it. Still he landed some nice head kicks in the last. Cramer is a tough dude though, will be tough to stop. Scored it 29-28 Cramer.

Didn't realise Dantas and Galvao were so close, pretty sad to hear Galvao say he didn't think they could ever be friends again after they clash, but that may have been a soundbite more than anything. The fight was a great shooto style bout, Dantas just kept doing the same thing early on though, jabbing and circling left. Surprised Galvao didn't read it and do more damage as Dantas really could've walked in a haymaker potentialy. That uppercut from Dantas was as sweet as a nut though, man!

Haven't seen that loss Dantas took in the BOPE bout but can hazard a guess at a right hand from his circling left, but nevermind, this was a good enough defense to put that one to the back of the mind, maybe something he needs to work on though.

Hopefully anyone who has turned down fights against training partners/friends watched this and see how professionally Dantas just got on with the job. Fights should happen regardless of this.

Bellator card is decent again on thursday:

Saunders-Amaya: Saunders pretty easily saw off Amaya in this tournament last year and i would imagine will do so again without too much bother.

Baker-Lima: Shame Weedman is out as Lima-Weedman was a good match, Baker is a more than decent replacement though.

King Mo-Newton: Both impressive in the last round but i'm picking Mo to win the tournament so reckon he goes through here.

Featherweight final: Martinez-Shamhalaev - Martinez has been really impressve in this tournament (tougher bracket than Shamhalaev for me even though he hasn't been as dominant). Shamhalaev has won the qf and sf with first round stoppages and i'm sure he'll probably be fancied to do so again here but Martinez is no slouch in beating Fabiano so if he can replicate those performances he'll take a decision victory here for me.

Bit late to the party but I watched both Bellator and the UFC over the weekend. Bellator was the better of the two, that Cramer-Rogers fight was brilliant and the title fight really delivered. Galvao is one of those guys who seem to triumph in a good few of these Bellator tournaments, a solid grinder who will always fall short at the top level. Straus will be exactly the same against Curran. Barao-McDonald was a good fight, as was Poirier-Swanson. I'd go Swanson-Lamas with the winner getting Aldo/Pettis next.

Don't think it's been mentioned here or elsewhere yet so - WTF was the judging all about in Te Huna-Jimmo? The first was as clear a 10-8 as you'll ever see! One judge scored it 10-9 and gave the 2nd or 3rd as a 10-8! I had it a draw, 28-28. I thought Jimmo got fucked there.

Bit late to the party but I watched both Bellator and the UFC over the weekend. Bellator was the better of the two, that Cramer-Rogers fight was brilliant and the title fight really delivered. Galvao is one of those guys who seem to triumph in a good few of these Bellator tournaments, a solid grinder who will always fall short at the top level. Straus will be exactly the same against Curran. Barao-McDonald was a good fight, as was Poirier-Swanson. I'd go Swanson-Lamas with the winner getting Aldo/Pettis next.

Don't think it's been mentioned here or elsewhere yet so - WTF was the judging all about in Te Huna-Jimmo? The first was as clear a 10-8 as you'll ever see! One judge scored it 10-9 and gave the 2nd or 3rd as a 10-8! I had it a draw, 28-28. I thought Jimmo got fucked there.

Not a fan of 10-8 rounds unless they are really obvious dominant rounds, so not scoring either of those rounds 10-8

But yeah the first round was a more dominant display from Jimmo than 2 was for Te Huna so don't know where the f**k that judge got those scores from.

:huh: Bader-Teixera is a very strange one for me, that's definitely a step down from Rampage for Glover. The division is in kind of a strange place with Jones tied up with Sonnen and Hendo-Machida/Gustafsson waiting in line, but that is a bizarre fight to make for Teixera. Nothing to win for him there IMO.

Cerrone should beat Noons, he beats guys of that level but falls short at the top level.

:huh: Bader-Teixera is a very strange one for me, that's definitely a step down from Rampage for Glover. The division is in kind of a strange place with Jones tied up with Sonnen and Hendo-Machida/Gustafsson waiting in line, but that is a bizarre fight to make for Teixera. Nothing to win for him there IMO.

Cerrone should beat Noons, he beats guys of that level but falls short at the top level.

The LHW division is a conundrum sometimes. Jackson beats Machida, Machida destroys Bader, Bader easily beats Jackson as does Teixera, Evans beats Davis, Davis beats Gustafsson, Machida gets beat from Rua who is easily beaten by Gustafsson and Evans is destroyed by Machida all in the past few years. On any given day, they are all hard results to call as they can all beat each other. The only one who looks like remaining unbeaten for a good while is Jones.

I would definitely stay away from betting on a LHW match.