MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

I've fallen away from MMA over the last couple of years due to the UFC's pure saturation of the market; but Saturday's card was as good as any since Zuffa took over.

Dana and Fertitta have stacked their chips behind McGregor in a big way, so much so that they've relented on two aspects that White has been very vocal in his opposition to in the past - live entrances and big entourages. Sinead O'Connor absolutely murdering Foggy Dew should be enough to ensure that it never happens again. McGregor had his whole family and others in the octagon after the fight; sorry but they have no business being in the ring, get them to f*ck. Seems like Dana's willing to sell out on his principles if the money is good enough.

I think the fight was stopped too soon. McGregor is a potential crossover star like Rousey; he and the UFC stand to make a lot of money on an Aldo fight, and losing to Mendes would have impacted on that. He didn't answer the questions about his wrestling; well, he did - his wrestling is poor. Throwing that flimsy front kick will see any decent Division 2 wrestler catch it and get a single leg takedown. Mendes almost had a crucifix and had he pinned him down, it would have been game over for McGregor.

Lawler and MacDonald was up there with Griffin/Bonnar and Garcia/Korean Zombie as one of the best fights I've seen. I really thought MacDonald had him but Lawler is hard as nails; he was eating clean head-kicks in that round. I've heard that Lawler doesn't spar so takes no damage between fights and I think that really served him well here. MacDonald's nose was messed up, don't expect to see him back much before January. Imagine Hendricks will be next up for Lawler.

I always enjoy watching Matt Brown fight. A Brown/Condit fight has the potential to be a very entertaining match-up.

Another UFC event tonight - UFC Fight Night 71

Mir vs Duffee main event, Josh Thomson vs Tony Ferguson co-main, not much else of interest! went for an accumulator to keep me interested - Mir & Duffee won't last long!

Alcantara, Ildemar @ 10/11
Yahya, Rani @ 20/21
Andrade, Jessica @ 1/4
Sicilia, Sam @ 4/9
Duffee, Todd @ 2/5
Jouban, Alan @ 1/5
Lee, Kevin @ 4/11
Holm, Holy @ 4/9
Thomson, Josh @ 7/4
Jorgensen, Scott @ 5/4
Good, Lyman @ 1/3
Stake: £5.00Est. Returns: £918.62

Another UFC event tonight - UFC Fight Night 71

Mir vs Duffee main event, Josh Thomson vs Tony Ferguson co-main, not much else of interest! went for an accumulator to keep me interested - Mir & Duffee won't last long!

Alcantara, Ildemar @ 10/11
Yahya, Rani @ 20/21
Andrade, Jessica @ 1/4
Sicilia, Sam @ 4/9
Duffee, Todd @ 2/5
Jouban, Alan @ 1/5
Lee, Kevin @ 4/11
Holm, Holy @ 4/9
Thomson, Josh @ 7/4
Jorgensen, Scott @ 5/4
Good, Lyman @ 1/3
Stake: £5.00Est. Returns: £918.62

Good luck sir. Unfortunately I'll not be watching this tonight, not worth staying up for. Maybe catch it tomorrow when I get in.

Well Duffee and Mir was fun, anyone not seen it yet have a look if you can.

Co main was class aswell. Ferguson is champion material, Thompson has taken Diego Sanchez's title as toughest c**t going for me, absolute heart and balls not to just give up in that fight.

Whos all going tomorrow then? I'll be there with a few mates in the 'cheap' seats.

*waves*

In level 1 so first section of tiered seating. Just on route to q&a the now. Went to open workouts on Wednesday but left early as had to stand about for an hour and a half while press stuff was done before workouts even started. Watched Whiteford and Ray and then fucked off.

Whiteford upheld his big time charlie reputation by doing the media interviews while wearing sunglasses indoors. Bit of a minter.

I watched Mir last night when I came in, hard to believe he is still relevant in the ufc but it part sums it up for me that we're looking at a pretty dire division. I can see Arvelovki Mir being served up. Regards Fedor, any guy that is stopped by Bigfoot Silva should stay retired.

Was at the weigh-ins yesterday as i was in Glasgow anyway so popped over. Nothing much to see that you don't get on tv, was cool enough to see it for real i suppose. Might head over at opening time today and see if i can pick up a 'spare' outside for cheap, not too fussed though if i have to head back and watch it on tv.

I heard a couple of people at the weigh ins talking about having spare tickets, you should be able to get one.

Bumped into Clay Guida and Cub Swanson in the pub after the weigh ins, they were both pretty cool guys.

Aye, there's still a shitload on gumtree etc, reckon there will be a few desperate to get shot of them outside

Guida's comment about sending McGregor back to "tattie picking land" at the q&a may land him in a bit of trouble. Will be interested to see if they edit it out of the YouTube upload.