MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

He was out, but regardless of that time left in the fight doesn't mean anything. If it's a stoppage it's a stoppage. First five seconds of the round or last. Plus for me even if he wasn't out it was a fair stoppage, turtling up and covering your head while turned away isn't intelligent defence.

Is it just me that thought it was maybe stopped a wee bit too early? It was a cracking left hook that sent Mendes down, but there's 5 seconds left in the round, Mendes is covering up, and Mcgregor isn't really catching him to the head.

Cracking fight though, really enjoyed it, would like to see a rematch!

I just finished watching this and at first look I agreed with you. Then the replay showed Mendes was out, he was done after the left. Always telling to me that there was not a single bit of complaint from Mendes.he knew he was done.

If McGregor came in focused like he has every other time he's fought in the Ufc then he would've strolled that fight, i never thought he was in danger but he was taking a lot of shots and just clowning around too much, talking to Mendes, gesturing etc.

Anyway, Aldo will be a whole different test, quite fancy Aldo to stop him after seeing that, also have Edgar beating him aswell.

And....to that Domdom randy giles chunt, it was you who thought Mendes would win easily. Nice call. FWIW i thought McGregors takedown defence/sprawl would be excellent but obviously that wasn't the case.

If McGregor came in focused like he has every other time he's fought in the Ufc then he would've strolled that fight, i never thought he was in danger but he was taking a lot of shots and just clowning around too much, talking to Mendes, gesturing etc.

Anyway, Aldo will be a whole different test, quite fancy Aldo to stop him after seeing that, also have Edgar beating him aswell.

And....to that Domdom randy giles chunt, it was you who thought Mendes would win easily. Nice call. FWIW i thought McGregors takedown defence/sprawl would be excellent but obviously that wasn't the case.

To be fair to DomDom, it seemed almost likely because Mendes has a different style than Aldo and it took McGregor by surprise but McGregor only looked vulnerable a little and then came in strong.

Well in, UFC Pres Dana White is licking his lips as we're finally going to get Aldo/McGregor!!

I did think he'd win easy, but Mcgregor was a lot smarter a lot earlier in the fight than he has been, and that caused a lot of bother. He still had the same problems defending in the stand up early, but was also a lot more aggressive and doing that going for the body basically won the fight.

Crackin card.

Can't make my mind up which of the knee KOs I like more, both utterly spectacular. The slow-mo of Stephens one is graceful brutality timed to perfection, and unbelievable that after Almeida's, Pickett jumped back up after a few seconds being out!

McGregor is just sensational with the striking, and I thought he did well enough once pinned down by Mendes - relaxed, no panicking, kept throwing from the bottom, controlled Mendes' ability to land cleanly and regularly, and that superb guillotine escape. Questions almost fully answered regarding his ground ability as far as I'm concerned. And all with injuries, including a torn ACL!

Great fight after a slow start in the co-main, but I didn't particularly enjoy seeing McDonald's face and nose getting smashed in. Lawler too much strength as I predicted.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Aldo go to 155 now. If so I expect McGregor to follow him, especially given that IV rehydration post-weigh-in has now been banned. If McGregor v Aldo does happen at 145 then Mendes and Edgar should also fight.

McGregor's striking is on an incredible level, the precision when he got up was nuts after the beating he took on the ground. I just wonder if Mendes with a full camp behind him would've been better conditioned, taken it into the third round and put Conor on his back again.

Truly amazing how he popped up and started throwing combos as if the previous 3+ minutes of being pinned hadn't happened. Must've been utterly demoralizing for Mendes.

Rory McDonald looked like he didn't know where he was or yet alone what year it was after the fight.

Apparently he was asked and actually didn't know! I refer you back to my comment about not particularly enjoying seeing his face and nose getting smashed in.

Apparently he was asked and actually didn't know! I refer you back to my comment about not particularly enjoying seeing his face and nose getting smashed in.

There's a gif somewhere of him walking or trying, sitting on the seat, getting up and just falling back down again, fight of the year stuff!