MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

I'd be pretty pissed if I was Hendricks. He did get a bit cocky after the 2nd but still, for me, won 1,2 and 4 and could probably have been awarded the 5th too. Was a close fight but 2 judges scoring it for GSP is mad. Reeks of ' you gotta beat the champ (KO, TKO, sub) to be the champ' - which is nonsense.

Even more of a kick in the nuts to Hendricks when he clearly wins a title fight then GSP comes out after it and says 'yeah I need to take a few years off' surely there has to be a rematch??

That wad a worse decision than Jones/Gustafsson. Absolute heartbreaker for Hendricks. Two of the judges gave GSP the first which really has to be explained. If we are daying again that close roudd automatically are scored to the champ then that is cheating. There's no criteria for scoring close fight for the champion. And what the f**k was that at the end? Did he retire or not? "I'm going away for a year or two".....what the f**k is that?

Completely agree, GSP having it by 2 judges is wild. Really erratic scoring. If GSP doesn't want a rematch/wants a break he should be forced to give up the title. I read that Dana White said it was an unbelievable decision so take from that what you will. Also, photos of both of them from the news conferences last night would imply that Hendricks had more than a slight advantage in blows landed.

All judges gave 2 and 4 to Hendricks, 3 and 5 to St Pierre. The point of contention was the first round, which was a close opener. Not quite the travesty that is being made out. If (a slightly gassed?) Hendricks hadn't have fannied about so much in the 3rd and 5th then he'd probably be champ.

Either way, I'd like to see this as the instigator of some new scoring systems being proposed and tried. Are there any alternatives already out there (other than Olympic boxing-style point system)? Any problem with relaxing the standard required for a 10-8 round, and introducing 10-7 rounds for what are currently deemed 10-8 rounds?

Caught up on 167 last night. Great show. Will just give some brief thoughts just.

Hendricks won that fight. I had it either 49-46 or 48-47, he definitely won 2 and 4 and GSP definitely won 3. Round 1 I'm fairly certain was a Hendricks round but I'm not completely opposed to it. 5 was a toss up I felt. I couldn't believe the strength Hendricks was showing completely outmuscled GSP for most of it although GSP was landing more jabs etc. Another great title fight to continue the recent trend.

Evans looks amazing against Chael, although I thought Chael chucked it when he realised he was going to struggle. Hopefully he goes back to 185 and it's good to see him making noises about it. Not sure on what Evans does next, the Gus fight Manuwa got might've made sense. I'd considered Vitor but they're teammates these days.

Pleasing to see MacDonald lose. Sounded like Woodley hit Kos with a baseball bat, that was insane. Bagautinov and Elliott are both top 10 but lower reaches. Cerrone is the boy, get him in for a rubber match with Varner asap.

Hendricks definitely won it for me. I don't know if he was being cocky later on in the fight, or was gassed, but if he kept the pressure up he would surely have taken it. In the post fight press conference he said he was throwing everything at about 70% to save his energy.

GSP looked a lot smaller to me, although maybe this was partly due to the size of Hendricks. Wonder if the testing was any different for this fight?...

Yes! How many will include Diego Sanchez? ;)

Lots I'd imagine. :P Clay Guida will get a couple of placings. Can't be arsed doing it just now, but it WILL get done in the near future. Kinda thinking about a new nomination style as well, so I'll decide on that first.