MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

I had Diaz beating Condit clearly aswell.

On what basis did you have him winning, never mind winning clearly? Diaz got caught and countered running clumsily into strikes the whole fight, and landed more strikes, and landed 33% more more significant strikes. Condit counter the Diaz approach beautifully and made him look like a fool.

Edited by banana

Even by the 5th he was still dealing with everything Edgar had to throw by dodging most of the money shots and countering with better strikes and better combinations. That's a net loss for Edgar and any fighter (Diaz for example in his post-decision wobbly after being handled by a slipping-and-sliding counterstriking Condit).

If we're going to start placing ineffective aggression above control and actual hurt delivered, we're heading into the realm of Bobb Sapp style being a 10-8 round, every round.

Agression shouldn't be the only scoring metric, but it's used as part of the unified rules of MMA which Goldy reads out like a robot at the start of every show. In rounds where everything else is pretty close the more agressive fighter should be getting the rounds. Aldo was more accurate and was scoring better shots in the fifth but it wasn't be a great margin. Edgar was coming forward in that round and was the busier man. I'd need to rewatch this and try to rescore it, I think in the third there is a danger I may have given it to Edgar as it was so much closer than the first two which Aldo clearly won.

Bellator should be good tonight, Shlemenko-Falcao will be a fantastic fight in the main event. I think Shlemenko takes it through a late stoppage or a decision but it'll be very competitive. Marlon Sandro is always worth a watch so it'll be good to see him fighting in the FW QFs as well.

Diaz beating Condit is far and away the most amazingly stupid thing said in this thread.

Really?!

Im fairly sure it was a controversial decision, seem to remember loads of fighters being shocked with the result aswell (and the crowd?).

fair enough if im wrong, i've never watched it back but i just remember Diaz coming forward the whole fight and Condit literally running away from him but catching him with little kicks and punches. I'd bet a lot on Diaz winning a rematch.

Amazingly stupid?! get a fucking grip son.

Really?!

Im fairly sure it was a controversial decision, seem to remember loads of fighters being shocked with the result aswell (and the crowd?).

fair enough if im wrong, i've never watched it back but i just remember Diaz coming forward the whole fight and Condit literally running away from him but catching him with little kicks and punches. I'd bet a lot on Diaz winning a rematch.

Amazingly stupid?! get a fucking grip son.

hmm, there's probably thirty fights in the last yeat i'd put up for debate before Condit-Diaz. Not sure what the doubt is here. Comfortably Condit's fight.

Oh, and coming forward doesn't make a fighter good. It might impress daft judges, but that thankfully it didn't happen that night. The decision was only controversial because people didn't like Condit's tactics. I think Diaz might have been helped if he actually landed what he was trying to hit.

Just got done with Bellator, another enjoyable show from them.

Shlemenko looked absolutely fantastic in the main event. The first round was close but the way he finished Falcao in the second was pretty brutal. Incredible power in his shots. Worth a look if you can track it down. The body shot when Falcao was down in particular was very, very hard. I can't see anyone in Bellator challenging him at the moment, but with the MW tournament starting next week maybe someone will emerge.

Marlon Sandro looked a shadow of himself in his fight, he was very lucky to take the decision following a point deduction for Stepanyan (valid deduction though). I scored it for Sandro as well but this is a prime example for me of why they need to introduce half points. Sandro just nicked a very close round for me, but Jimmy Smith and one of the judges gave it to Stepanyan, so it really could've gone either way. The second was pretty one sided from Stepanyan, almost finished at one point and completely dominated. The third was Sandro's due to control for the majority of the round but he did absolutely nothing with it. I'd probably have scored it 10-9.5 Sandro, 10-8.5 Stepanyan and 10-9 Sandro, Sandro would still have won with the deduction but it's something they really need to look at.

Richman looked really good in his fight, I don't think his opponent was up to much but it was another great finish which started with a cracking head kick.

My favourite fight on the show though was Khasbulaev-Gurreiro. Action packed the whole way through. The first round was my round of the year thus far, well worth a look if you can find it. The first round had everything, scrambles, good stand up exchanges, submission attempts, just really fast paced and competitive. Khasbulaev looked superior though and took it with a great submission at the start of the second.

On those showings I would say Khasbulaev looks the most impressive of the FW semi-finalists. Him and Sandro should be a great fight, hopefully Sandro is back to his best for that one and it's something to really look forward to. Richman-Bezerra should be very good as well. Before Pettis, Edgar and Guida dropped down I'd have said Bellator's FW division is the closest in quality to the UFC's, to be fair it probably still is. Good standard of fighters there.

Just caught Bellator 88 today. Jeez Stepanyan got mugged! 29-27...really? Even after the deduction i have no idea where 29-27 comes from.

Stepanyan looks really impressive, will be interested to see him again at some point. Sandro isn't going to go much further in this tournament fighting like that.

Main event - man that liver shot was brutal! Glad Falcao got done as he was a complete and utter bawbag leading up to this fight. Back of the queue ya twat.

Just reading that the UFC are planning Cain-Bigfoot II for the title in May with JDS-Overeem on the same card. You'd have to presume the winner of JDS-Overeem will be getting a title shot. There aren't a whole lot of options for them at HW but making that as a title fight and booking JDS-Overeem so soon seems stupid to me. Cain's demolition of Bigfoot is one of the most destructive performances I've ever seen, I see no reason why this won't happen again. All Bigfoot's done since then is look terrible against Travis Browne before Browne blew his knee out and KO a cocky Overeem after losing the first two rounds. JDS and Overeem will be a great fight and I'm really looking forward to it, but these should be two guys they should be looking at lining up as title contenders with a few wins, not letting one of them cut the other's throat. I would find it difficult to see either of them challenging for the title in the next couple of years (if ever for Overeem) with a loss in that one. Great fight from a fan perspective but pretty stupid from a promotion perspective for me. I'll pick Cain by first round TKO and JDS by second round TKO if these do get booked.

Also, a few fights made for the TUF finale:

Might Mouse vs Moraga for the flyweight title - Big step up for Moraga, his last fight was the first Facebook prelim on the New Year show. I don't think I've seen any of him except from his submission there so hard to tell how he'll do. Good stage for the flyweights though, they're doing a good job of building the division.

Gonzaga vs Browne

Palaszewski vs Cole Miller

Daniel Pineda vs Justin Lawrence (this should be a belter)

Miesha Tate vs Cat Zingano in the second women's fight in the UFC

Decent card there with the TUF final also to be added as well.

Can't see the name Travis Browne without thinking of this;

:lol:

Moraga has kinda come out of nowhere here but then the division isn't really deep enough yet for every defence to be against established contenders.

Moraga is as good a shout as anyone then in my opinion, wouldn't expect Benavidez to walk straight back into a rematch, although he'll probably get the next shot now.

I know the heavyweight division is all over the place right now with recent results, but Silva shouldn't be anywhere near Velasquez again yet, he needs another win to really put a marker down. It's just too soon since Cain destroyed him.

Would prefer Silva-JDS but then who do you give Cain next to stop him lying on the shelf for 9 months? Struve-Hunt winner doesn't deserve a title shot but it might be an idea to keep the division moving, keep Cain active and then see who emerges form Silva-JDS or whatever Overeem does next.

Tough news for Sarnavskiy, but i fancied the Caveman in his semi-final bracket anyway. Caveman - Brooks final?

Edited by Christophe