MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Main event was decent, scoring was a bit off for me. Edgar claerly winning 4+5 (and the 3rd wasn't exactly clear cut) but judges scoring 49-46. Frankie Edgar has got to be sick of pushing guys so far and just not being able to get over the line. He'll probably be back for another crack at Aldo down the line but it'll probably do him good to be out of the title scene for a couple of bouts (seven straight title fights) and get some W's under his belt at feather. Give him someone like Guida next.

Anthony Pettis is angling for a title shot if he were to drop down to 145, Aldo-Pettis would be very interesting, perhaps more so than Henderson-Pettis for me.

I actually gave the fifth to Jose Aldo. Edgar was really pressing the action, but Aldo's counter striking in that round was incredible, and I thought he was getting the better of most of the exchanges at that point. I gave that and the first two rounds to him. The 49-46 scores seemed fine to me.

I'd say with Aldo saying if he beat Edgar he might move up that we might wind up seeing that Pettis fight at 155.

I actually gave the fifth to Jose Aldo. Edgar was really pressing the action, but Aldo's counter striking in that round was incredible, and I thought he was getting the better of most of the exchanges at that point. I gave that and the first two rounds to him. The 49-46 scores seemed fine to me.

I'd say with Aldo saying if he beat Edgar he might move up that we might wind up seeing that Pettis fight at 155.

Could just as easily be at 155 i guess, but might as well make it for a title though if both are willing to move. The title fight at 145 is more attractive than a regular bout at 155, although i suppose at 155 it could be an eliminator to go against Bendo.

Hmm, yeah. Pros and cons.

Not sure what all the controversy is about with the Aldo-Edgar fight. Apart from the 4th, Edgar was well handled throughout, being expertly counterstriked throughout and landing by far the more effective strikes. 9/11 takedown attempts dodged with ease, and the two he got led to absolutely nothing. Aldo's speed and and agility is insane. I had it 49-46. If we're being really generous to Edgar's (ineffective) aggression then 48-47.

Overeem is a tit. What a hilarious KO!

Edited by banana

Edgar did land a good bit of what he went for in the third. It's not as if he was being completely ineffectual. Aldo was a bit more flashy in what he did in that round, but I thought Edgar took it. Close though.

I don't think there was any controversy to the decision or the scores anyways.

There's been bit of controversy (not huge, but plenty people incredulous that Edgar didn't get the decision) on some MMA forums, and numerous people in the MMA scene that thought Edgar won. A bit of 'home boy' bias coming into play, perhaps.

Who next for Aldo?.........

Fucking loved Big Foot beating Overeem after he had obviously said something to him at the end of round two. Big Foot going nuts was great too.

Though the Aldo - Edgar fight was pretty straightforward, Edgar got a bit of a doing in the first three rounds then did not bad in the champions rounds.

Looks like I'm the only one on here but I scored the main event 48-47 for Edgar, although I can't say I felt comfortable with him winning the fight. I thought it was clear he won 4 and 5, 3 was a tough one but I thought he was the busier and probably just nicked it. Judging wholistically I thought Aldo would have won but I gave Frankie 3 rounds. Great fight, I loved it. Aldo came out looking incredible but Frankie keeps on surprising with his durability. He took a lot of damage and looked to be getting outclassed completely in the opening two but he grew into the fight. Aldo looked untouchable in the beginning but a combination of the pace Edgar was setting and his leg kicks acted as a bit of a leveller. Rogan can say what he wants about the sound Aldo's leg kicks were making, but Frankie landed a lot more of them and I think the leg kicks were a big difference maker in the fight swinging his way. Same with damage, Frankie obviously took a lot in the opening stanzas and was showing it more, but Aldo took a lot in the 4th and 5th especially. Very tough one to score. As for Aldo's next defence, I think it's got to be Lamas. Pettis can stay at 155 and fight Bendo or Melendez. I don't know if it will happen but I'd love to see Edgar-Faber at 145, that looks a great Fox headliner to me. Hopefully we get a rematch down the line as this was cracking.

Little Nog-Evans was crap, no other way to describe it. Little Nog is a bit broken down so I didn't expect much more from him, but Rashad looked shit, really shit. I don't know if he was carrying an injury, had a bad cut or was just complacent, but he lacked any real explosiveness and didn't set anything up. I don't see either of these guys doing much in this division.

Overeem getting KO'd was glorious, he was dominating but he gassed badly and Bigfoot hits very hard, if the hands drop he's going to knock you out. I think if they rematched 2 months down the line Overeem would win, but coming in as cocky as he was on Saturday night he got what he deserved. The HW division is in a really bad place with Overeem losing now. Bigfoot just about got murdered against Cain so they can't put him in there, Cormier won't fight him, an instant JDS rematch wouldn't be great with him being comprehensively dominated in the last match. Mir if he beats Cormier could be an option, besides that you're looking at the winner of Struve-Hunt maybe? Werdum and Nog are due to fight in June, that's potentially almost a year on the shelf for Cain if they wait that long.

Maia looks like he could be the real deal at 170, I'm a firm believer now after that performance. If you can dominate Jon Fitch in the grappling for 15 minutes you're no slouch. I think as long as he sticks to his ground game he could beat anyone not named GSP. Hopefully Condit beats McDonald and they go with Condit-Maia, that'd be very interesting. Against GSP though I think GSP would just use his jab for 5 rounds to take a decision. As for Fitch, tough to see where he goes from here. I certainly don't see him fighting for the title ever again now. Upper level gatekeeper is probably his role.

Benavidez and McCall was great, really good advert for the flyweights. Benavidez won clearly but McCall looked pretty good I felt, he's very tough and has only fought the top 2 at the weight in the UFC. Benavidez is one of the pound for pound best IMO, I think he beats Mighty Mouse if they rematch due to the power he has. Definitely a superior striker and if he works on his defensive wrestling I think he'd win that.

On the prelims, man of the night was Tyron Woodley, absolute monster. Get him against some top competition and quickly.

I don't think Aldo did a whole lot TBH. Edgar for me was the aggressor abd took it on work rate.

Even by the 5th he was still dealing with everything Edgar had to throw by dodging most of the money shots and countering with better strikes and better combinations. That's a net loss for Edgar and any fighter (Diaz for example in his post-decision wobbly after being handled by a slipping-and-sliding counterstriking Condit).

If we're going to start placing ineffective aggression above control and actual hurt delivered, we're heading into the realm of Bobb Sapp style being a 10-8 round, every round.

Even by the 5th he was still dealing with everything Edgar had to throw by dodging most of the money shots and countering with better strikes and better combinations. That's a net loss for Edgar and any fighter (Diaz for example in his post-decision wobbly after being handled by a slipping-and-sliding counterstriking Condit).

If we're going to start placing ineffective aggression above control and actual hurt delivered, we're heading into the realm of Bobb Sapp style being a 10-8 round, every round.

I had Edgar level going into the fifth round and couldn't pick a winner in the last, tough job being a judge! Easier to give Aldo the close rounds after dominating the first two IMO. I had Diaz beating Condit clearly aswell.

Anyone been watching TUF 17? Uriah hall KO was mental!!!!

Hall looks a beast. Thought that TUF done a pretty good job actually as i was convinced they'd spoiled the result with the clip the week before. They showed Sonnen rushing into the cage after the OMG moment (which was shown off screen) and then a Team Sonnen coach seeing of the ambulance (a sequence which actually wasn't shown on Tuesday, so look out for someone else being hospitalised).

All of which made me watch the Hall fight thinking 'shit, this guy is awesome but any second now he's gonna get sparked out'.

So yeah, was pleased with the result.

Can't see past Hall at the moment, he looks very handy.