MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Just got done watching Bellator

Only saw what they showed on the main card, but what I did see was very enjoyable and the two title fights delivered (for different reasons) which was all I was really hoping for.

Curran-Pitbull was a fantastic technical striking battle, it was a slow burner but it built into a cracking fight. Curran looked a little conservative early on but he kept his guard up and picked his shots. I scored it 48-47 for Curran, I gace Pitbull 1 & 3 due to him being more aggressive, but Curran took 2,4 & 5 through superior technique and picking his punches. I'm guessing 2 was the round which the judge who scored it for Pitbull gave him, although I'd have said 3 was the closest round. Next up for Curran will be Straus, he should win that more handily than this one, Straus is a grinder and he'll get a result if a guy doesn't come in at his best. Curran's too technical for that so should stroll a decision or a late TKO for me.

Babalu looked pretty awful in getting KO'd, the spinning backfist he was hit with was awesome though, just about woke half my block of flats up when that landed. Hopefully Babalu retires.

Chandler looked absolutely incredible in retaining his title. I rate Hawn very highly, but Chandler completely dominated him all over. Hawn's an Olympic standard grappler and Chandler was ragdolling him. He gets better every time he fights, I don't know what his Bellator contract is but I'm pretty sure he will be the UFC champion one day. Unless Alvarez is forced to re-sign and runs through a tournament there's certainly not anyone in Bellator that can get near him.

Noe beating Petruzelli was quite similar to Zayats-Babalu, the more experienced name fighter getting smashed by the young up and comer.

King Mo next week, might give it a go, but it won't be anywhere near as good as this card.

They doubled their previous high number of viewers so it was a resounding success :)

Bisping...

with the better workrate, but never looked like troubling his opponent much who seemed to just be sizing him up before going for the kill. Heard this song a number of times with Bisping, no Plan B once it's clear he can't hurt his opponent.

Edited by banana

Bisping...

with the better workrate, but never looked like troubling his opponent much who seemed to just be sizing him up before going for the kill. Heard this song a number of times with Bisping, no Plan B once it's clear he can't hurt his opponent.

Vitor looked very, very big for MW. To be perfectly honest, both of them were very cautious in round one. Bisping landed a couple of jabs in round one, but all of that was pretty much negated by one big head kick. How he got caught with the second I'll never know after being dropped by the first one.

Miragliotta had a nightmare I thought. After allowing Thiago Tavares to take at least 5 hard elbows after he was clearly out then Vitor drops Bisping and swarms all over him, he then puts his hands on Vitors shoulder, steps back and allows him to keep throwing shots.....then jumps in. I'm not saying the Bisping stoppage was bad, but for f**k sake either jump in and stop it or don't. He was practically hugging Vitor before he stopped it.

Even Dana was not happy with him on Twitter, at one point claiming he was finished.

Dana White has no say on the referees. And I've seen worse happen.

I thought Brazil had no commission? ie UFC regulates its own event?

Dana White@danawhiteOk that is officially the END of Dan M!!!! Guys head is straight up his ass 2 night!!!! 17 vicious strikes!!!! After he was already hurt

I also had a good wee chuckle at Vitors incoherent Chael promo

I only watched the main card and there wasn't a lot there really. Nurmagomedov looked awesome and could well be someone to watch over the next year or so and Gonzaga's submission was good as well. The main event was enjoyable as well, Vitor looked excellent. He's 8-2 in his last 10 with the only 2 losses being Anderson and Jones, a win or two more and he really should be getting another title shot. Bisping is a fantastic fighter but he just doesn't seem to quite have it to compete successfully at the very top level. Excellent KO there.

Gustafsson-Mousasi is booked for a Fuel show in Sweden, that'll be a belter.

Exciting! Though I always pictured Mousassi as a middleweight rather than light heavy. Got a lot of time for the Swede and reckon he will take it late 2nd round to mid 3rd.

TUF Sonnen vs Jones!!!

Watched it last night, I thought it was really good. The production changes made a big difference and Jones and Chael are both very interesting and different characters.

Exciting! Though I always pictured Mousassi as a middleweight rather than light heavy. Got a lot of time for the Swede and reckon he will take it late 2nd round to mid 3rd.

I think Gustafsson takes a decision, I can see him using his range and technique as he did in the Shogun fight.

Big card this weekend with Fox 6, should be fantastic. The flyweight title fight will be interesting, I think Johnson will have just about enough to take a decision but Dodson has serious power in his hands for the weight class. Mighty Mouse is so quick though that I can't see him catching him with a big shot. I see Rampage is giving it the usual bollocks about having the "hunger" back etc, but I think he's done at the top level. In saying that, it's a big test for Glover, he's looked awesome so far but this is by far the biggest fight he's had in his career. I'd give Teixeira the advantage everywhere but I think his comparative advantage is in the grappling, I think it's much more even on the feet. I think Teixeira's best strategy is to try and GnP Rampage, but if he keeps it standing as I suspect he might I think he'll win anyway. The fight I'm most looking forward to though is Cerrone-Pettis, I like Pettis but I love Cerrone. I don't see any way that this isn't spectacular, people are calling this a WEC dream match but to me both these guys are better now than they ever were in the WEC so it's a dream match for now. Cerrone seems to get into these sort of positions on the card and then falls short every time, it happened in the first Varner fight, both Bendo fights and then against Diaz. I think it's a case of nerves as he's shown how incredible he can be. I think if he takes Pettis down he can win this fight, I'd back him on the ground, but I think he will want to stand and trade with Pettis and I don't like that idea at all. Pettis will take a decision I think, setting up a brilliant fight with Bendo down the line. Elsewhere the two FW fights look really good, Guida-Hioki in particular (as long as it's not the Guida who ran away from Gray Maynard for 5 rounds).

The Bellator card tonight will be getting watched but I think there's potential for some dullness there, largely due to Askren in the main event, who I feel is the most boring fighter in MMA today. He's fucking effective though and I think he'll take another decision by a wide margin through takedowns and control to retain his title. King Mo should run through an over-matched opponent at LHW, I'd expect Saunders and Lima to win their WW QFs, but the best fight of the night could be Weedman and Zaromskis. Weedman has done well in tournaments with Bellator before and Zarmoskis has fought a lot of good fighters over the years, should be a competitive bout.

Watched it last night, I thought it was really good. The production changes made a big difference and Jones and Chael are both very interesting and different characters.

They had to make it different as the old format was getting pretty boring. It has gone a bit "X Factor" with the family segments, but that's fine. A few impressive performances I thought, including Uriah Hall and Luke Barnatt.

Big card this weekend with Fox 6, should be fantastic. The flyweight title fight will be interesting, I think Johnson will have just about enough to take a decision but Dodson has serious power in his hands for the weight class. Mighty Mouse is so quick though that I can't see him catching him with a big shot.

I actually think Dodson has a great chance of taking this one.

I see Rampage is giving it the usual bollocks about having the "hunger" back etc, but I think he's done at the top level. In saying that, it's a big test for Glover, he's looked awesome so far but this is by far the biggest fight he's had in his career. I'd give Teixeira the advantage everywhere but I think his comparative advantage is in the grappling, I think it's much more even on the feet. I think Teixeira's best strategy is to try and GnP Rampage, but if he keeps it standing as I suspect he might I think he'll win anyway.

The main test for Teixeira in this one for me is his conditioning after his last fight, big question mark there. If he tries to box Rampage I don't think he will win. He needs to mix up the strikes or take him down.

The fight I'm most looking forward to though is Cerrone-Pettis, I like Pettis but I love Cerrone. I don't see any way that this isn't spectacular, people are calling this a WEC dream match but to me both these guys are better now than they ever were in the WEC so it's a dream match for now. Cerrone seems to get into these sort of positions on the card and then falls short every time, it happened in the first Varner fight, both Bendo fights and then against Diaz. I think it's a case of nerves as he's shown how incredible he can be. I think if he takes Pettis down he can win this fight, I'd back him on the ground, but I think he will want to stand and trade with Pettis and I don't like that idea at all. Pettis will take a decision I think, setting up a brilliant fight with Bendo down the line. Elsewhere the two FW fights look really good, Guida-Hioki in particular (as long as it's not the Guida who ran away from Gray Maynard for 5 rounds).

Can't see past a Showtime victory here I'm afraid.

The Bellator card tonight will be getting watched but I think there's potential for some dullness there, largely due to Askren in the main event, who I feel is the most boring fighter in MMA today. He's fucking effective though and I think he'll take another decision by a wide margin through takedowns and control to retain his title. King Mo should run through an over-matched opponent at LHW, I'd expect Saunders and Lima to win their WW QFs, but the best fight of the night could be Weedman and Zaromskis. Weedman has done well in tournaments with Bellator before and Zarmoskis has fought a lot of good fighters over the years, should be a competitive bout.

I really do find Askren a dislikeable character as well as a boring fighter. I'm praying for an Amoussou victory here.

The main test for Teixeira in this one for me is his conditioning after his last fight, big question mark there. If he tries to box Rampage I don't think he will win. He needs to mix up the strikes or take him down

Maldonado is a more accomplished boxer than Rampage IMO and look at what Glover did to him. The cardio could be an issue I think but I find it unlikely that he'd beat a guy up for so long and so ferociously without getting a stoppage at any other time.

Just gone done with Bellator 86 from Thursday night:

Didn't have high expectations for this going in as I said but this was actually a really enjoyable show. The Askren fight was the best Askren fight there's been by a long way, he smashed Amoussou to bits on the ground which he's very rarely done to opponents before. Was expecting a snoozefest there but it was decent. Askren looked amazing. King Mo looked superb as well but the guy he was fighting was essentially a can. He demolished him though, his jab was outstanding and it was a nice KO. Newton will be a tougher test but he should stroll that one too. Lima looked awesome in his win, great use of leg kicks, some of the best I've seen. Saunders controlled his opponent and won clearly but Lima should beat him again in the semis.

King Mo KO:

momo.gif

Zaromskis from the prelims, didn't see this fight (he lost a decision though):

zar.gif

Didn't see the other WW QF but it looked mental, will need to seek it out on Youtube.