MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

My worry is Sky pick up the UFC and give it the same kind of deal as the WWE, with most PPVs on Box Office at £15 a pop. With a card on Fuel/FX/Fox near enough every week now plus TUF there's enough programming there to keep the numbered PPVs on PPV I fear.

Chandler should win but Hawn is an absolute beast at 155. He's an Olympic judoka and his right hand is incredibly powerful. In saying that, Chandler is one of the best LWs in the world, he is the signature win against Eddie and he decimated Gono in his last outing. I think Chandler may well sub him but it's a hell of a fight

I'm thinking of betting on Pat Curran at 4/5 on Thursday night as well, Pitbull is absolutely awesome but he's coming off an 18 month layoff and lost to Warren when they fought, while Curran absolutely destroyed him. Curran is quite possibly the number 2 FW in the world for me. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Decent price for Curran for me. Think he stops Freire in 3, should be a war for a few rounds but Pitbull will tire first.

Whatever happens it will be Bellators fight of the year for me, no-one is looking for style points in this one. Two guys who are just going to come out banging from the bell.

Seen the strikeforce prelims, nowt to write home about there (Tim Kennedy looked decent though). Will check out the Showtime card though, since the main event is rated (still managed to avoid the result so far thankfully)

UFC on FOX 7 may well have Gilbert Melendez vs. Benson Henderson. That'd be utterly glorious.

That's going to be special.

There are a few good fights at LW this year potentially, especially if Alvareaz comes over too.

Edited by Christophe

Melendez-Bendo will be great but I see absolutely no way of Melendez winning that one. Bendo is much bigger, more well rounded on his feet, a vastly superior wrestler and he's fantastic on the ground.

I think Cormier takes a clear decision over Mir, 30-26 or something.

Agree on Melendez, don't think he lives with Bendo ultimately, but it'll still be a good fight seeing him try.

I really think Cormier stops Mir though, don't see that going to the judges.

Slowly but surely getting through the last strikeforce card. Fitted in Noons v Couture at lunchtime earlier. Great fight. There seemed to be some amazement from the commentary team that Couture got a split decision. Noons himself stormed out of the cage apoplectic. Scored it 29-28 Couture myself so not sure what the issue was. Could have went either way i suppose. Certainly not crazy judging as suggested on the broadcast.

I'll get the main card finished tomorrow. Unless they are all complete turkeys then it's certainly not as poor a card as suggested as i've quite enjoyed a couple of the prelim fights.

Melendez-Bendo will be great but I see absolutely no way of Melendez winning that one. Bendo is much bigger, more well rounded on his feet, a vastly superior wrestler and he's fantastic on the ground.

I think Cormier takes a clear decision over Mir, 30-26 or something.

Mir has historically had trouble with big powerful wrestlers but Cormier isn't in the same size bracket as Lesnar or Carwin so I'm going to stick my neck out and say Mir has a great chance of pulling a submission off.

Slowly but surely getting through the last strikeforce card. Fitted in Noons v Couture at lunchtime earlier. Great fight. There seemed to be some amazement from the commentary team that Couture got a split decision. Noons himself stormed out of the cage apoplectic. Scored it 29-28 Couture myself so not sure what the issue was. Could have went either way i suppose. Certainly not crazy judging as suggested on the broadcast.

I haven't seen it personally but every single person in the media, on forums and Dana White himself have said it was a complete robbery, everyone gave Noons the first 2 and the third could have gone either way.

Mir has historically had trouble with big powerful wrestlers but Cormier isn't in the same size bracket as Lesnar or Carwin so I'm going to stick my neck out and say Mir has a great chance of pulling a submission off.

I think a sub is definitely his best chance, but Cormier will also know this and I don't see him letting himself get into those positions. Barnett's no slouch on the ground and Cormier didn't come close to being submitted by being smart and taking charge of the fight.

The list of Strikeforce guys moving over to the UFC has been released, I'll spoiler it since it's a fairly long list ans also to try and hide SF spoilers from the weekend

HEAVYWEIGHT

Daniel Cormier

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT

Gegard Mousasi

Gian Villante

MIDDLEWEIGHT

Roger Gracie

Tim Kennedy

Lorenz Larkin

Luke Rockhold

Jacare Souza

WELTERWEIGHT

Roger Bowling

Jason High

Nate Marquardt

Tarec Saffiedine

Bobby Voelker

LIGHTWEIGHT

Ryan Couture

Pat Healy

Kurt Holobaugh

Adriano Martins

Gilbert Melendez

KJ Noons

Josh Thomson

The one big omission there is Barnett, which is unfortunate but not completely unexpected. For me he's still a top 10 heavyweight and there would have been a load of good matches to be made for him in the UFC. Hopefully Bellator take him on but I can see him making mega money with One FC or another Asian promotion.

There are quite a few guys there that I'm very excited to see in the UFC. We've got Cormier and Melendez discussed so far, but there are another handful I think could do pretty well. Jacare is fast becoming one of my favourite fighters to watch and I can't wait to see him in the UFC, he seems to be getting better all the time and he absolutely destroyed Herman on Saturday night. So many good fights for him in a stacked division. It'll be interesting to see how Rockhold does at MW as well, I think he has a lot of potential and I see he's called out Philippou which would be a good scrap I'd expect him to win. Thomson could cause a lot of problems for the LW division, I had him taking the 3rd Melendez fight on points so he can obviously hang with top guys. He'll possibly be underrated moving across so I'll watch with interest to see how he performs.

As for the Bellator shows, should we have general rules regarding spoilers in this thread? The series will be on in the States on Thursday nights, so maybe any discussion of that spoilered until Monday or something?

I gave Noons the first but Couture the 2nd and 3rd. Noons round was pretty clear but 2 and 3 were close to call so i can even see why one judge scored it 30-27 Noons even though i scored it 29-28 Couture. Not even close to a robbery though.

Spoilering Bellator til Monday is a good idea, probably wont catch it until sunday.

Further to my list above:

A profile for Barnett has been added to the UFC website :) Hopefully he's making the move.

As for Bellator, I'll pick Chandler by submission and Curran by KO around the 3rd round. Tough, tough fights to call, looking forward to both of them.