MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

:huh: Don't get this at all. Cain is a big draw with the Hispanic market, and they can now do a rubber match which will do big business. The only negative is that Velasquez probably wouldn't fight Cormier since they train together.

Yes they'll get the rubber match, but will be as much of a draw after the way last night went down? I'm not so sure. I think Dana had hopes of setting up the heavyweight division around JDS which after last night might be hard to do unless he absolutely demolishes Cain in the rubber match (should there even be one).

I like Cain and I'm happy enough with him as champ. TBH whether it was Cain or JDS as title holder, I don't really think there is anyone else out there who could beat either of them.

Out of interest, who do we think is in line for the next shot at Cain?

JDS-Cain III after last night will do bigger business than JDS-Cain III if JDS had won as Cain wouldn't have been near the title while Dos Santos held it. If Dos Santos picks up a couple of wins over guys of the level of (for example) Werdum or Bigfoot I think it'd be a pretty easy sale.

Next up I think it'll be Overeem if/when he beats Bigfoot. Cormier could've been a shout if JDS had won but he said last night post-show he'd cut to 205 before he went for a shot at his teammate in Cain.

JDS-Cain III after last night will do bigger business than JDS-Cain III if JDS had won as Cain wouldn't have been near the title while Dos Santos held it. If Dos Santos picks up a couple of wins over guys of the level of (for example) Werdum or Bigfoot I think it'd be a pretty easy sale.

Yup. Last night would be lost under the UFC hype drive, and we'd also be reminded of what JDS did in the first fight, and be reminded that JDS can finish a fight in an instant. Which would be completely accurate as well.

Yeah Overeem gets his shot if he beats Silva, no doubt. Dos Santos v Cormier next would be nice too.

Not sure where Jim Miller goes next, he was dominated by Benderson and Diaz so he can't exactly be back in the title hunt really. Cerrone/Pettis winner? Would like to see Lauzon v Diaz next in that division to build one of those guys up again...

I'd like to see Phillipou get the loser of Belfort/Bisping, big step up but f**k it Boetsch would've been in there so let's see what he's got. Okami might be more realistic right enough, maybe put those two together after their wins and see who gets the real push afterwards. I'd love to see Phillipou/Sonnen down the line, just seems like a pretty good match to me.

Edited by Christophe

Tyson Fury on Twitter:

If the klitchkos r 2 much of pussies to fight me then I'll go & fight the MMA heavyweight champ at least he is game. Wouldn't last 2 rounds!
@cainmma I challenge u to fight all in in a cage or ring! It could be billed as the man vs midget lets get it on! U small stif idiot. Tit!
I'm the new baddest man on the planet I'll smash @cainmma. Let's get it on! @danawhite @AdamHarrisbox @HennessySports @MikeTyson

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Fury is a fucking clown, best ignored until Price smashes him.

Turning to real fighters, I see Anderson has signed a new 10 fight deal. Highly pleasing news. I can't imagine that he'll defend his title at 185 another 8 times so I wonder if he fancies moving up to face Jones with a view to winning and defending the 205 strap? Realistically at MW he's got Bisping, Weidman, Lombard and possibly one or two others who could emerge over a year or two (struggling to think of anyone off the top of my head though, possibly Rashad or someone dropping down even?) and a superfight with GSP before he's out of credible match-ups. I'd love to see that. Either way, 10 more Anderson fights will be a sight to behold.

The FX card which is taking place in a couple of weeks time doesn't have much on it but the main event looks a cracker in Bisping and Belfort, can't wait to see that fight. Bisping looks to be the best MW contender there is atm alongside Weidman for me, but it's tough to really assess how good Vitor is these days. His 3 fights since the Anderson fight have been a win against Sexyama (good fighter but on a losing streak), Johnson (who had a horrendous weight cut), and arguably his best performance against Jones on short notice at 205 where, despite almost locking in an armbar early on and giving Jones his best test so far, he was finished (albeit by arguably the best fighter on the planet). Really difficult one to call I think. I think Vitor has more chance to finish the fight but I'd expect Bisping to control most of the action, and he's no slouch on his feet either. One thing counting against Bisping is that he seems to shit the bed when he gets close to the top (defeats to Hendo and Sonnen in number 1 contender bouts before), although it could be argued that he maybe just doesn't quite have the ability to hang at the top level. If I was pushed I'd go with Bisping by late TKO or a decision.

Yeah i go with a Bisping win here, think he finally steps up here and grabs his title shot (is this an eliminator) if not it should be.

Here what you're saying about credible fights for Silva but at the same time a year is a long time for a weight class to develop. I mean look at welter. That division was done when GSP went out injured and by the time he's come back it's stacked with new credible contenders. Someone could easily step up hy the time he's faced the two or three immediate contenders that there are now.

Dana's said that if Bisping wins he'll fight Anderson next. He's also said if that fight happens it WON'T be in the UK as a lot of people were calling for. Presumably the time difference is too great.

You're right about WW being a pretty deep weight class, but how many guys there who have emerged in the last 18 months or so can realistically stake a claim at a title shot? Hendricks is one, there could be an argument for MacDonald but aside from a broken down Penn who hasn't won since he fought Matt Hughes more than 2 years ago, he hasn't really got a signature win. Guys like Kampmann and Ellenberger fell short in big fights. We'll see how it pans out but 2 or 3 more wins at MW and I think he'll have completely cleared out the division even more than he's already done so. EDIT: Anderson that is, he'll have cleared out MW.

Edited by Marshmallo

Hendricks, MacDonald and one of Kampmann/Ellenberger (whichever bounces back best and stakes a claim) is a years worth of fights, throw in a Silva fight and you're giving the division 15/16 months to develop again, don't think it's possible to wear out a division completely. MW doesn't look anywhere like as deep currently, but anything could happen.

Edited by Christophe

I think someone has said on here already...but he HAS to fight him surely?!

I can understand team mates not fighting each other down the card or whatever, but it has to be different for the title. If MacDonald's end game isn't the title then what the hell is he doing it for.

Rory said he wouldn't fight GSP. Personally, I see that as grounds to kick him out of the place altogether. If your aim isn't to go for the title, you can f**k off.

Correct. Jones and Evans said the same thing. Cue a split in the camp and Evans finds new training facilities. Life goes on.

Lombard-Okami has been added to the Japan show in February, a card which looks ridiculously good for a Fuel show. It's a very tough fight for Hector, Okami is such a strong guy and he's a great grappler as he showed against Belcher. Lombard looked damn near unstoppable against Palhares though. I think Lombard stops him in the first or Okami takes a decision.

Anybody following the Eddie Alvarez saga between Bellator and the UFC? It's ended up in the courts, an explanation can be found here: http://www.mmamania.com/2013/1/9/3853442/bjorn-rebney-lawsuit-eddie-alvarez-bellator-mma-ufc-contract-match

It's a hell of a lot of money for him either way, great fighter who I think could well become the champion in the UFC, but I think this is more about Bellator wanting to throw their weight around a bit with their first show on Spike in a week's time. The Bellator contracts are pretty disgraceful tbh, I'm not sure how they can be legal. I can obviously see why they want to keep their biggest name/star attraction, but the deal for Alvarez in the UFC looks more lucrative and is clearly the better move for his career. I want to see him in the UFC and I can see that being the outcome eventually, it's just a shame it's not happening straight away. Alvarez is absolutely livid, listening to this (

) interview just now and he's fuming.

On Bellator, their show next Thursday looks excellent. Two genuinely world class fights with Chandler-Hawn and Curran-Pitbull in five round title fights, plus the first two LHW QFs including Babalu.

Looking forward to that Bellator card yeah. Chandler is a beast and was very impressive against Alvarez. Think he'll finish Hawn. Curran v Pitbull is a wonderful fight, real potential for a great 25 minutes here, really champing at the bit for this one. Curran takes this on decision i think.

LH tournament looks good too. King Mo and Newton involved.

I was reading an article in the Guardian about BT stepping up it's chase for top class sports to go with their new EPL coverage. Seems tp be a consensus that ESPN are thinking of shutting down the UK channel in the summer when their EPL coverage expires. Thinking is they will sell on their FA Cup coverage to BT. Hope if this happens that someone picks up UFC coverage, would be a bit of a setback to mma in this country if it disappears off our screens.

Edited by Christophe