MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

MacDonald won't fight GSP. He needs to beat guys his own size first. His two most impressive wins have been against 155lbs fighters.

Henderson completely dominated Diaz tonight. Was quite surprised it was so one sided.

Certainly more deserving of a shot than the guy getting it, Nick Diaz, who is coming off 1) a loss and 2) a suspension. Much like the Chael Sonnen situation, except Diaz was soundly beaten by Condit over five rounds and Diaz didn't face the actual champ.

Rory MacDonald looked terrific against Carlos Condit for two rounds. It wasn't the smaller guy thing that caught him there. It was the late flurry from Condit that had everything to do with it. I'd guess MacDonald was a better fighter coming out of that, although I would like to see them two go at it again.

Great show from top to bottom, the prelims were action packed and the main card was compelling viewing.

I loved the main event, can't stand the Diaz brothers so to see one of them get well and truly bitched by a guy I really like in Bendo was great. The jabs to the thigh were genius, I've never seen anyone do that before, and when he set up with the big overhand to drop Diaz it was great. The third round was awesome, when Bendo dropped him with the right after Diaz flipped him the bird I was off my seat. Ideally it would be another match with Edgar next for Bendo, the two are very well matched and I thought Edgar won the second fight clearly, but that won't be happening with Edgar going to 145 unfortunately. Pettis or Cerrone would be interesting, much as I love Cerrone I think he'll shit the bed in a big fight again and Pettis will beat him. That would be a great title fight but I'd pick Bendo this time due to the size and strength, he's massive for 155. Diaz got well and truly out classed, there are plenty interesting fights for him at 155 but it'll be a long road back to a title shot after last night.

Gustafsson and Shogun was good as well, the first round was excellent but after that Shogun seemed to gas and Gustafsson started to dominate. There's talk of him having to take another fight before he gets a shot at Jones which to me is bullshit, although the next fight for Jones is a joke so not hugely surprising. Shogun is in a tough spot, he's always phenomenal value and you're guaranteed a good fight but it's tough to see him ever making another title run.

MacDonald looked massive for 170 but that might just be because Penn shouldn't be in that weight class. I'd heard BJ was motivated for this one but he was completely outmatched. MacDonald is legit, I don't know if he'll take a fight with GSP if he's still the champ but I think after that display he can only be 1 or 2 wins away.

He's surely got to take the fight. It's a title fight, regardless of anything else. I keep hearing of people not wanting to take fights in the same situation, and it's mind boggling. Especially when the gold is at stake. If that's not your endgame in the division, then get out of it.

And Condit has also accepted MacDoanlds challenge apparently.

YES!!!

Their first fight was magnificent, and really enforced my love for Condit. MacDonald needs to watch that fight again and figure out what the f**k happened. I don't know who I want to come out on top. I'm a huge fan of Condit, but he has had a chance and wasn't good enough. MacDonald will likely go down the same road, but I'd like to see someone else get a chance.

Condit-MacDonald II will be great. I have no idea who I'll pick in that one. I think Rory has a size advantage and is a better wrestler but I think Condit is better standing or on the mat. If it's a 3 rounder I'd possibly lean towards a MacDonald decision, but if it's 5 I'd take Condit.

I'm not sure how I feel about Hominick retiring, he's someone I really enjoy watching and the Aldo fight is an all time classic. However, the death of Tomkins really seems to have affected him, and with his style he takes a lot of damage. The Yagin fight was very entertaining but that should've been a gimme for some of Hominick's quality and he dropped a clear loss.

The most entertaining MMA show in a long time.

Hilarious and fascinating arms and legs wrestling in the Brown Swick fight, and an awesome KO.

Penn MacDonald was interesting in how Penn stuck in there so long and how rounded MacDonald seems to be. Still, not that impressive a performance considering the massive weight and height disparity - easy to bully Penn in such a scenario. I wish to f**k fighters would have to make weight on the afternoon of the bout rather than 24+ hours before.

Gustafsson looked fantastic in his range, footwork and leverage, and looked fucking strong to boot on the giving and receiving end. He's really come a long way. Can't wait to see him fight again.

Benderson domination. Was cringing when he kept going to the ground and offering Diaz his leg, but he obviously knew that it was posing him no real danger.

Between the two cards there are a few decent fights. Lombard-Palhares is the standout to me, unfortunately I think it's a horrible stylistic match-up for Hector, but both these guys are real wildcards in the division. I think Palhares will win by a sub fairly early on. Sot-Pearson should be decent enough tonight as well, from what I saw of the Smashes I'm hoping Pearson knocks his head off. I think this could go to a decision but the fact it's five rounds could mean that doesn't happen. I'll lean towards Sot controlling the majority of the action and winning a decision. Guillard-Varner could well be the best fight between the two cards, that will be a great fight which will hopefully end in Varner getting KO'd. Poirier and Brookins should be a cracker as well. I'll say Nelson wins with a KO in the TUF16 main event, if it was a 3 rounder then I think Mitrione would decision him but Nelson's head is too hard.

Not been watching the Smashes but still some good fights on tonight...

Pierce v Baczynski should be pretty tasty, two tough as nails dudes. Baczynski is on a good run, I'll take him to floor Pierce in the first.

Lombard's debut was such a let down, just a really boring fight against Boetsch. I think Palhares is a horrible matchup for him too in terms of trying to gain some momentum in the company, can see another Lombard defeat here.

Main event i'll take Soti to submit Pearson in the 2nd.

TUF 16 i have been watching, and it's probably telling that no-one made the card other than the finalists, some of the stuff has just been really, really dull.

The best two are definitely the ones who have mad the final though, can't afgue with that final (although i would've liked to have seen a bit more of Smilin' Sam Alvey.

Decent card tomorrow too...

Pichel v Khabilov looks pretty intriguing from the lower card, i liked Pichel in TUF15 and Khabilov looks to have a very impressive Russian record (and a good win against Jason Dent since moving to fight in the States) behind him. I'll take the Russian, KO 1st rnd.

Poirier should finish Brookins - i'll go submission rnd 2

I fancy Guillard to give Varner his first knockout, i'll take a round 1 stoppage here.

Shane Del Rosario was another guy who debuted and really stunk the place out amid high expectation when he faced Stipe Miocic, but i think he'll bounce back against Pat Barry. Barry has been getting caught relatively easy of late and if he goes out guns blazing he might eat a big shot early on. Del Rosario by Ko rnd 1

Mike Ricci should win TUF, think he'll stop Smith. He hit Neil Magny with a pretty nasty elbow in the semi and if he can replicate the big hits here i don't see Smith taking him past two.

The main event i think might go all the way, so i'll stick my beans on a Nelson decision on that one.

Bellator Heavyweight Championship fight tonight too, Hale v Volkov.

Hale hasn't lost since stepping up from light heavyweight, he's been so impressive this tournament...all 1st rnd ko stoppages. Can he do the clean sweep and dispatch Volkov in 1 in the final? That would be a pretty sweet way to lift the belt!