MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Thought Saturday was a decent card. Was always gonna be hard to follow last weeks in London but I enjoyed it. So good to have crowds back for fight nights. 

Was impressed with the manner of Blaydes win. Thought he was gonna wrestle for 5 rounds but his striking looked improved. Him vs Gane next would be good.

Brown vs Barberena and Kai Kara France vs askarov were fantastic.

Deiveson Figueiredo telling Moreno he's not getting a title shot due to his team making alleged racist comments about him, then in the same breath says the shot is going to "dirty Kiwi" Kai Kara-France instead. I appreciate calling someone a "dirty kiwi" is xenophobic and not racist but I found it quite funny nonetheless. 

• 2 weeks later...

Khamzat against Burns was a phenomenal fight. Two of the best in the division going at it for 15 full minutes. Khamzat’s just so good all-round, pressure’s constantly, boxing is good from both stances, wrestling is incredible, takedown defence tremendous, has a hell of a chin, and he showed last night he can do it against one of the top guys in the division. Talk of him v Colby next which should be a fantastic fight. Genuinely don’t know if Colby would have the power to keep him off.

Sterling-Yan was a decent watch as well from a tactical perspective. I have the first round to Sterling so thought the two cards for him were correct. Argument that the 2nd or 3rd could have been 10-8 also such was his control. Imagine it’ll be that little rat Dillishaw next.

I think Max beat him twice, but I also think Volkanovski is much better now than he was then, and he is so good. He quite simply beat the living shit out of Zombie. Complete and total dominance. Zombie landed two front kicks, and that’s all the offence I remember for him. Was howling after those kicks, Rogan claiming his corner was asking for them…”eh…in Korean” [emoji23] pls try and hide your made up bullshit better Joe.

• 4 weeks later...

That’s one of the biggest disparities in quality of fights on one card I have ever seen. The difference in quality between the Chandler-Ferguson and Olivera-Gaethje fights and then the retirement tour Shogun-OSP and Rose-Esparza was wild. Chasms in terms of quality.

Hope Tony retires now. He’s been an amazing fighter with an incredible career, but he’s been demonstrably on the slide the last 3 or 4 fights and got eviscerated last night. Sadly don’t think he will, but would be in his best interests.

Olivera is unreal. There’re no real holes in his game, even if Gaethje did knock him down and have him in a bit of trouble a couple of times. Imagine it’ll be Poirier or Chandler next, but would love to see Islam get his shot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good to see big Cowboy finally chuck down the gloves, I’ve been saying for ages he should give it up, especially with a young family etc.

I felt last night’s card was all a bit predictable - Volk dominating from start to finish, Izzy comfortably doing enough to win on points and Strickland stupidly trying to outstrike Pereira. Lawler v Barberena was probably the highlight of the main card and the less said about the O’Malley fight the better, I’ve nae idea why Munhoz didn’t take more time to recover, he weirdly seemed to want it called as soon as he received what looked like a fairly mild eye poke. 

Another decent performance from Ian Garry on the prelims, he’s a bit of a cringe merchant with some of his patter but the last twice I’ve watched him I’ve been impressed.

• 3 weeks later...