MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

2 hours ago, Ulises de la Cruz said:

Garbrandt with the proverbial glass jaw. Looks like he is never going to be the same guy that dominated Cruz, who himself had a good comeback earlier vs Munhoz.

Garbrandt getting beat done me for three and a half grand there, I am physically spewing. Had Emmet, Oliveira, Neal, Cruz, O Malley and Garbrandt as an accumulator. There wasn’t much thought behind the picks and I’d never even heard of Neal or Emmet before, but Garbrandt was one I was confident in. It was a peach of a right hand from Kara-France for the initial knockdown, caught him sweet as a nut right in the teeth, then took his time to line him up again for the finish. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

On 12/12/2021 at 07:06, IrishBhoy said:

Garbrandt getting beat done me for three and a half grand there, I am physically spewing. Had Emmet, Oliveira, Neal, Cruz, O Malley and Garbrandt as an accumulator. There wasn’t much thought behind the picks and I’d never even heard of Neal or Emmet before, but Garbrandt was one I was confident in. It was a peach of a right hand from Kara-France for the initial knockdown, caught him sweet as a nut right in the teeth, then took his time to line him up again for the finish. 

Never bet on glass jaw Cody. He's just not very good, leaves himself wide open all the time and it doesn't take much to turn his switch off. 

Nunes didn't look the same. Physically exhausted before the end of the second round, I imagine she'll get a rematch and be better prepared but what a night for Pena. Funny to hear that a steaming Michael Chiesa has smashed his face up trying to jump in the octagon with Pena at the end and had to be dragged out by police. 

Charlie Olives with a fairly definitive win. I love Dustin but it does look like he's a level below a Champion now, he's had a few cracks at different people and still not been crowned champion. Hope he keeps going but I doubt you'll see him as No. 1 contender again. 

Also, Aldo vs Cruz next please. 

Never bet on glass jaw Cody. He's just not very good, leaves himself wide open all the time and it doesn't take much to turn his switch off. 
Nunes didn't look the same. Physically exhausted before the end of the second round, I imagine she'll get a rematch and be better prepared but what a night for Pena. Funny to hear that a steaming Michael Chiesa has smashed his face up trying to jump in the octagon with Pena at the end and had to be dragged out by police. 
Charlie Olives with a fairly definitive win. I love Dustin but it does look like he's a level below a Champion now, he's had a few cracks at different people and still not been crowned champion. Hope he keeps going but I doubt you'll see him as No. 1 contender again. 
Also, Aldo vs Cruz next please. 
Happy with most of that. Garbrant although a very good fighter, seems to have developed an unhelpful tendancy to get sparked out. Nunes didn't look the same. But Poirier is still a top level fighter. If anything I'd say da bronx is just underrated. Poirier is still top 5 and is at worst 50/50 to beating anyone in the top 5, Olivera in the future included. Just look to the first round.

ETA aldo vs cruz...... yes fucking please.

51 minutes ago, the tungston weasel said:

Happy with most of that. Garbrant although a very good fighter, seems to have developed an unhelpful tendancy to get sparked out. Nunes didn't look the same. But Poirier is still a top level fighter. If anything I'd say da bronx is just underrated. Poirier is still top 5 and is at worst 50/50 to beating anyone in the top 5, Olivera in the future included. Just look to the first round.

ETA aldo vs cruz...... yes fucking please.

Don't necessarily disagree on Poirier, he just seemed a bit defeated afterwards, usually he looks for positives and says positive things about the future, but it was very "I need time to look at things" chat. I hope he bounces back and wins it as you can see how much it means to him and he's one of the good guys. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Total meh for the main event there. Haven't seen a huge amount of Whittaker but her strikes me as a nothing fighter and seemed from the first round to be happy enough to try and see the final bell. Knew he was outgunned, covered about 10km going round the outside and committed to absolutely nothing. An exercise in survival for me. 

17 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Total meh for the main event there. Haven't seen a huge amount of Whittaker but her strikes me as a nothing fighter and seemed from the first round to be happy enough to try and see the final bell. Knew he was outgunned, covered about 10km going round the outside and committed to absolutely nothing. An exercise in survival for me. 

The rest of the card was a good watch.

I agree with you about Whittaker, I don't understand why he got another go at the belt.

On 13/02/2022 at 05:58, Bairnardo said:

11 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

The rest of the card was a good watch.

I agree with you about Whittaker, I don't understand why he got another go at the belt.

Really? I love Whittaker, I think he's a brilliant fighter and easily the second best in the division right now. Izzy is the only guy to beat him since 2014 and since his last loss to him he went and killed 3 other top contenders to get another shot. I thought the fight displayed just how far ahead Adesanya is though. On another level. Adesanya takes shit because he doesn't knock people out that often any more, but I liken it to teams parking the bus against Barca in their pomp, folk don't want killed by him so fight super defensively, which means Adesanya can settle for out pointing them, which he always will. 

He'll fight Cannonier next and then probably wait and see if Alex Pereira can make his way to a title shot - that's the fight the UFC want. 

Really loved Tuivasa and Lewis, I hope Tuivasa goes on to win a title, a really likeable guy. 

Yeah, I'm not really getting the criticism of Whittaker either. He was basically just the victim of the Jon Jones principle. If a guy is a technically more proficient striker than you, and has a significant reach advantage, and is excellent at stuffing take down attempts, then essentially, you're fucked. Whittaker was clearly a bit more reticent to commit himself in the 1st round after being melted by Adesanya last time, but the other 4 rounds he was game and competitive, just purely beaten by a better fighter. I'd have maybe liked to see him use a bit more variation with his right, but understandably he was concerned about the high-kick counters coming back if he did. The fact his leg was kicked in to mush didn't help matters either.

Agreed on Tuivasa, seems like a great lad, and appears to have one hell of a chin.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyable weekend of mma

Think Makhachev has done enough to get the next shot at the lightweight title. Absolutely dominant. 

Arman Tsarukyan is destined for the top. Alvarez is the dark horse of the division and he made it look easy. Brutal elbows.

Gegard Mousasi is one of the most underrated fighters ever. Wish he was still in ufc 

Thought masvidal was totally outclassed there. Gassed early too, been living off that askren KO for too long. 

Masvidal ought to be matched for fireworks. He's not really a belt contender. Too many technically gifted fighters. There's plenty room for a fighter like him on a card, but certain fights are just a surefire way to drain his stock, Colby being one.

Masvidal is now on the same level as Diaz, Tony Ferguson and Conor McGregor were they are not at the level of the people on top of there weight classes but still big names. 

Would love to see Rda get one last run at the belt. Legend.

Holland and Mitchell both looked good.

Hardy getting  battered on the last fight on his deal was also pleasing. Hopefully the last we see of him in ufc. 

Bryce Mitchell is taking over and I can't wait. 

I wish I'd bet on the main event as I could see that happening all day. It was a shit fight I thought, nowhere near the aggression I was expecting from either fighter given the apparent hatred but it looked like two guys who knew each others style well, Colby knew Jorge didn't have any wrestling and thus turned it into a hugging match. I actually think Masvidal made a mistake in blowing up this beef and taking the fight, this sort of fighter suffocates him every time. It's just a shame we need to deal with a winning Colby now, it's better when someone breaks his jaw. 

• 2 weeks later...

f**k me Paul Craig is a dangerous c**t. Didn’t get off his back for the full fight, took heavy shots on the floor and then gets his legs wrapped around his opponents throat and finishes it in the first round. Submission expert. 

f**k me Paul Craig is a dangerous c**t. Didn’t get off his back for the full fight, took heavy shots on the floor and then gets his legs wrapped around his opponents throat and finishes it in the first round. Submission expert. 
Yup that came out of fucking no where!

3 minutes ago, the tungston weasel said:
26 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yup that came out of fucking no where!

I genuinely don’t think he was willing to get off his back for the full duration of that fight. He would have lay there for 15 minutes taking clean elbows and punches to the face if he had to, all in order to try and get the submission. When you are as good at it as Paul Craig is then I can’t say I blame him, he fought to his strengths. Even better I’ve got him in a double with Hooker, 13/8 Craig was to win.