MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Times the main event meant to be? I'm a bit surprised at the number of folk picking McGregor. I'm a total MMA casual but to me, McGregor is a lot worse, and Poirier is a lot better than in 2014. My reaction when the fight was signed was that Poirier rinses him.

Yep. McGregor thinking he can waltz in and out it, against a guy who has been notching wins against the best of the division. Should have fucking bet on it.

Edited by Bairnardo

5 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

I think Poirier is gonna surprise people tonight. Tremendous fighter who has evolved massively since the first fight between them. 

I also had a feeling Conor might not win this one!

I was looking at Poirier's wiki page the other night and was impressed with the most recent wins on his fight card.  He certainly has improved a lot these last few years.

Also at the weigh in, Poirier seemed confident  and happy to go face to face with Conor.   I thought a  "shock" might happen.

Was surprised at the odds offered before the fight but was too much of a pussy to put anything on as I've been stung many times in the fight game.

Shows the benefits of actual activity rather than prizefighting. 

Hopefully Conor doesn't retire whilst we await a new major box office draw.

McGregor is still really good at what he does but he needs more tools. Elite striker and Dustin didn't really want to stand in front of him, so he chopped him down with leg kicks. McGregor still does that same stupified face when he eats a combo as well. Was like when Nate Diaz stopped him a few years ago.

I don't think he beats Gaethje or Chandler either unless he improves his overall skillset.

McGregor is still really good at what he does but he needs more tools. Elite striker and Dustin didn't really want to stand in front of him, so he chopped him down with leg kicks. McGregor still does that same stupified face when he eats a combo as well. Was like when Nate Diaz stopped him a few years ago.
I don't think he beats Gaethje or Chandler either unless he improves his overall skillset.
No chance he beats any of the top guys.

I was desperately seeking the correct comparison lastnight but on a slightly different level, Conor beating Cowboy was Hatton beating Paulie. A good performance, but papering over the cracks. You cant slip appreciably from the level you were at, and expect to beat guys who are dedicated, young, active and on the up. The percentages required to look really silly arent that big. Conor is maybe still 75% or 80% of his prime self. That's never going to be enough at this level

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

No chance he beats any of the top guys.

I was desperately seeking the correct comparison lastnight but on a slightly different level, Conor beating Cowboy was Hatton beating Paulie. A good performance, but papering over the cracks. You cant slip appreciably from the level you were at, and expect to beat guys who are dedicated, young, active and on the up. The percentages required to look really silly arent that big. Conor is maybe still 75% or 80% of his prime self. That's never going to be enough at this level

I'd say he's still pretty close to his peak, but his peak is only 80% of the 155 elite now. He's probably still got the beating of guys like Hooker and maybe even a faded Ferguson but Gaethje, Poirier, Chandler are just a different level. Poirier is obviously a much better fighter now than he was, McGregor just looks the same.

4 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I'd say he's still pretty close to his peak, but his peak is only 80% of the 155 elite now. He's probably still got the beating of guys like Hooker and maybe even a faded Ferguson but Gaethje, Poirier, Chandler are just a different level. Poirier is obviously a much better fighter now than he was, McGregor just looks the same.

Aye. When you watch the last few fights of Poirier and Gaethje, it's obvious they arent losing to anyone who p***ks about taking layoffs, doing nonsense exhibitions and generally not putting their heart and soul into it. 

McGregor has probably gone as far as he can with the camp he's in. He's not sparring the best of the best with SBG. In the last 2-3 years calf kicks have become prevalent in every single stand up MMA fighters game. It says a lot that it was the first time McGregor has dealt with them. I wouldn't say he's done at the top as he can clearly finish people with his left hand but it would take something crazy for him to  get near the belt now. Poirier vs Oliveira and Chandler vs Gaetjhe is the way to go.