MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah, that was scary good from Holloway at the weekend. Throwing over 600 strikes in 25 minutes is not on. Trilogy with Volko will be ridiculous.

This shit with Khabib is a complete pantomime. Before the card on Saturday Dana put out a tweet in proper LAD Bible "you won't BELIEVE what KHABIB has DECIDED!!" style. 4pm came and Dana literally stood there and said "he wants to see if any of these fights next week excite him, then he'll decide what he wants to do". Thanks for that useless update, you bald, fat, turd.

I'm almost certain that Khabib is staying retired and was pretty steadfast to that end in his meeting with White. Dana, being the scumbag promoter he is, has just asked if he can at least delay it and add some intrigue to increase buys for the PPV, and Khabib has shrugged his shoulders and said why not. If the options for a return fight are only McGregor, Poirier, Hooker or Chandler then I just don't see that piquing his interest tbh as all four would be light work.

14 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I'm almost certain that Khabib is staying retired and was pretty steadfast to that end in his meeting with White. Dana, being the scumbag promoter he is, has just asked if he can at least delay it and add some intrigue to increase buys for the PPV, and Khabib has shrugged his shoulders and said why not. If the options for a return fight are only McGregor, Poirier, Hooker or Chandler then I just don't see that piquing his interest tbh as all four would be light work.

If you're Khabib and you have no intention of coming back, why stay in the testing pool? Why fly to Dubai to meet Dana for discussions at all? I actually think Khabib has rather cleverly upped his value with all this. Dana needs Khabib more than Khabib needs Dana. Khabib can just sit there and continue saying "hmm, nah I'm not sure m8" and Dana will keep adding zeros to his pay slip. Agree that Khabib stepping up a division would be a more exciting prospect than fighting any of those listed but I'm not sure he's up for that. 

As usual a shite looking card produces some really good fights and finishes. 

The return of Jojo this weekend, I really hope she smashes Jessica Eye. A win would hopefully push her into the top 5, and Jessica Eye is a c**t.

A lot of folk talking up Poirier but if McGregor has approached this fight they way he says he has then it's hard for me to see past McGregor. Poirier's best shot is trying to steal an early round and then drag the fight out to the championship rounds where McGregor will tire. Dustin says he's going to knock him out but no one has ever KO'd Conor and I don't see it this weekend.

Really good card though, just a shame BT Sports are fleecing customers again.

Times the main event meant to be? I'm a bit surprised at the number of folk picking McGregor. I'm a total MMA casual but to me, McGregor is a lot worse, and Poirier is a lot better than in 2014. My reaction when the fight was signed was that Poirier rinses him.

I've got Poirier but think it could be close. Mcgregor is in a strange positioning that he's very overrated by many casual fans and people that don't follow MMA closely, but savagely underrated by hard-core fans.

I'm now going to flail myself for using the hideous term "casual fans"...sorry.