MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

On 20/11/2020 at 14:18, Bairnardo said:

McGregor V Poirier 2....

Conor will have to be much better than he has been in.... Well years probably, to avoid getting an absolute shoeing here.

He appears to have put on some amount of extra muscle, for a guy who tires quickly I'm unsure if that is a wise move. I think he's fucked his legacy a bit too. He changed the business for so many fighters, talked about how he was so different to everyone else and he'd prove he was the greatest guy ever to fight in the octagon, got himself the champion of two divisions then decided to sit out his prime (while battering old folk in bars and servicing a coke habit). He's coming back at 32 now after 1 win over an old Cowboy in 4 years. It'll be good to see him back in there but I don't think he generates anywhere near the hype he thinks right now. He's no longer the face of the business.

1 hour ago, fummycrash said:

IF Conor get past Poirier, do you think there is a chance for Khabib on his next fight?

The Khabib situation is weird. Dana is convinced he'll fight at least once more and go for 30-0. Khabib is adamant he's retired, but he's still being tested by USADA - if you'd really retired you would remove yourself from the testing pool. But if Khabib is going to have 1 more fight, I don't see him taking on McGregor. Khabib has a real hatred of him IMO, Conor thinks it's just business but he definitely stepped over a line during that last fight. If he comes back for 1 more fight I think it'll be Tony Ferguson. I'd have loved to have seen him move up to Welterweight though.

The Khabib situation is weird. Dana is convinced he'll fight at least once more and go for 30-0. Khabib is adamant he's retired, but he's still being tested by USADA - if you'd really retired you would remove yourself from the testing pool. But if Khabib is going to have 1 more fight, I don't see him taking on McGregor. Khabib has a real hatred of him IMO, Conor thinks it's just business but he definitely stepped over a line during that last fight. If he comes back for 1 more fight I think it'll be Tony Ferguson. I'd have loved to have seen him move up to Welterweight though.
Absolutely spot on.

If anything the fight id like to see for khabibs last one would be Tony ferguson. Even more so than GSP. But I think it might only be the GSP one that gets Khabib back in the cage.

If he does do one more fight then fighting McGregor just seems a waste.

2 minutes ago, the tungston weasel said:

Absolutely spot on.

If anything the fight id like to see for khabibs last one would be Tony ferguson. Even more so than GSP. But I think it might only be the GSP one that gets Khabib back in the cage.

If he does do one more fight then fighting McGregor just seems a waste.

GSP isn't a bad shout but I'm not entirely convinced GSP wants to fight him despite what he's said. Khabib in his current shape kills GSP in his current shape and I reckon GSP knows that.

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 15:42, The Moonster said:

GSP isn't a bad shout but I'm not entirely convinced GSP wants to fight him despite what he's said. Khabib in his current shape kills GSP in his current shape and I reckon GSP knows that.

Filthy amount of skill in that Octagon and I really like/liked GSP but you cant fight someone like Khabib off a layoff. Asking for trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it was a decent card at the weekend there, some excellent finishes and some of the up and comers from DWCS are beginning to work their way through divisions. Quite exciting seeing these new guys come in without fear.

Yoel Romero has also been cut despite having 3 fights remaining on his contract with Dana saying we should expect more cuts. Seems deliberate that he's taken on so many new fighters through the contender series presumably on the lowest level contracts and emptying guys who would be taking home circa $200K per fight. I'm not too fussed about Romero going, he can be scary to watch but I tend to agree with Dana that he's lost a lot of his recent fights and you have to question what more he can offer the division. A bit shite that Romero needs to leave like that, it'd have been nice to see him leave on his own terms but really there's not much lost from the division. I do wonder what other big names we might see go.

Haven’t had a chance to watch any of the card other than the last two minutes of round one of Ferguson Oliviera yet, but fucking hell Tony is a crazy man. How he doesn’t tap out to that arm bar and then continue to fight will remain one of the great mysteries in life. Genuinely disgusting to look at. Wild man.

Haven’t had a chance to watch any of the card other than the last two minutes of round one of Ferguson Oliviera yet, but fucking hell Tony is a crazy man. How he doesn’t tap out to that arm bar and then continue to fight will remain one of the great mysteries in life. Genuinely disgusting to look at. Wild man.
Tony Ferguson is obviously a talented man, but I cant help but feel that he is where he is, and his main attribute by far is outright mentalness. Whether it's the way he must train to reach those cardio levels, or what he is willing to put himself through in fights.... A rare case of being utterly fucking unhinged working for someone.

I actually felt quite sad watching Tony at the weekend. I love him, he's a mad b*****d and has ridiculous spirit but I think Saturday proved that it was probably the best he didn't face Khabib. Oliviera is strong on the ground but he's not at Khabib's level and he utterly dominated Tony. Khabib would've finished that in round 1 IMO.

I thought Figuiredo was extremely lucky to leave with his belt too. Moreno fought brilliantly and I thought with the point deduction for Fig that he'd won it. Rematch needs done there with a proper camp for each fighter rather than 3 weeks. 

Kevin Holland also a lot of fun, that was a disgusting stoppage of a legend of the game. If the fight with Chimaev gets set up next week we are in for a treat.

• 1 month later...

Dana and Khabib meeting just now, wonder how much money White is trying to throw at him to fight the winner of McGregor v Porier? 

If he is going to fight again, either GSP or a title fight v Usman would 100% be my preference.

Edited by J_Stewart

Dana and Khabib meeting just now, wonder how much money White is trying to throw at him to fight the winner of McGregor v Porier? 
If he is going to fight again, either GSP or a title fight v Usman would 100% be my preference.
Yup. If we can get one more fight out of khabib its just such a waste to use on someone he's already beat handily.

Usman and him are friends and have said a few times they wouldn’t fight. It’s a shame it isn’t someone else to give Khabib a shot at being a Champ Champ. 170 would be no problem for him.
This patter is inexcusable from pro fighters IMO. I could just about have it from the Klitschko brothers, but the rest of them can shut the f**k up and get in there.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
15 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:
Usman and him are friends and have said a few times they wouldn’t fight. It’s a shame it isn’t someone else to give Khabib a shot at being a Champ Champ. 170 would be no problem for him.

This patter is inexcusable from pro fighters IMO. I could just about have it from the Klitschko brothers, but the rest of them can shut the f**k up and get in there.

Aye, totally agree. Why give up a chance at even more greatness just because you don’t want to fight your pal. Plenty time for pals when your retired.

1 hour ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Aye, totally agree. Why give up a chance at even more greatness just because you don’t want to fight your pal. Plenty time for pals when your retired.

Do you think it's "I don't want to fight my friend" or "I don't think I could handle the next 40 years of abuse if I lost to my friend"?

Bad enough losing at FIFA, never mind if your pal caves your head in.

Max is just so, so good. There’s a very real argument to be made that he’s the greatest featherweight of all time. Didn’t think I’d see a better performance from him than the merking he gave Brian Ortega, but that absolutely was. Volkanovski trilogy fight next please.

Yeah, that was scary good from Holloway at the weekend. Throwing over 600 strikes in 25 minutes is not on. Trilogy with Volko will be ridiculous.

This shit with Khabib is a complete pantomime. Before the card on Saturday Dana put out a tweet in proper LAD Bible "you won't BELIEVE what KHABIB has DECIDED!!" style. 4pm came and Dana literally stood there and said "he wants to see if any of these fights next week excite him, then he'll decide what he wants to do". Thanks for that useless update, you bald, fat, turd.