MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Aye a lot of work to be done on his stand up but that’s to be expected really. He’s 20 years old so he’s obviously still going to have massive holes in his game, especially at this level. I like how he didn’t chuck it in after taking a beating, showed some heart there and he’ll learn a lot from that fight.

The Askren stuff was pretty funny :lol:

Aye a lot of work to be done on his stand up but that’s to be expected really. He’s 20 years old so he’s obviously still going to have massive holes in his game, especially at this level. I like how he didn’t chuck it in after taking a beating, showed some heart there and he’ll learn a lot from that fight.

The Askren stuff was pretty funny [emoji38]
Obviously an exception and not the rule, but Rory Mcdonald was going toe to toe with Carlos Condit at twenty.

White's contender series being seen as the replacement for TUF for finding new talent has led to alot of utter duds making their way onto UFC main cards and upper heights of prelims. Hooper might well go onto be a competitive talent, but right now he needs more time fighting on a smaller promotion, improve his striking and to bulk up a bit. UFC sure loves to rush their talent and right now probably no need.

Fight Island revealed - it's Yas Island in Abu Dhabi. Probably not quite what fans were expecting when they thought of an island but at least now we know where it is.  The card is fucking tremendous too:

Usman vs Burns
Volkanovski vs Holloway
Yan vs Aldo
Andrade vs Namajunas
Van Zant vs Ribas

July 11th.

I love DC I think he's a great fighter and is great on commentary as well, the division needs a fighting champ though so I hope Stipe wins (and doesn't retire) then fights Ngannou again.

I have Max grinding out a decision against Volkanovski but I think it could go either way.

I have Usman beating Burns by UD.

Yan to TKO Aldo.

I'm just wondering, why was Dana White saying Fight Island was costing him so much money to put the infrastructure in when Yas Island is somewhere they've already put fights on previously? Why did they need to build hotels and shit? You can literally drive to the mainland in 10 minutes.

EDIT - Saw an interview with Dana which has answered this. The airport is about 10 minutes drive, so fighters will go straight from the airport to Yas Island where they will have hotels and training quarters so as to avoid any potential virus transmission. Dana also said the cage is set up on the sand, which could look pretty cool.

Edited by The Moonster

I'd say theres no reason DC shouldn't beat stipe. He was handily up 3 rounds in the second fight IIRC and like bairnardo said just has to read the blindingly obvious. Keep showing miocic respect and he could walk of into the sunset as the champ.

As much as I love Holloway I think he has no real answer for the power that volkanovski has. The two fights he has lost since McGregor was that one to volkanovski and to porrier both of which he seemed to be just out powered.

44 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Lovely stuff, probably the toughest test Khabib has had.

I still want to see him fight Ferguson, but you can't really argue with Gaethje getting his shot. I wonder if Tony is secretly annoyed with himself for taking the Gaethje fight, he's a mad man so probably not but he only had something to lose in that fight.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I still want to see him fight Ferguson, but you can't really argue with Gaethje getting his shot. I wonder if Tony is secretly annoyed with himself for taking the Gaethje fight, he's a mad man so probably not but he only had something to lose in that fight.

I think deep down he knows it was wrong, or at the very least he regrets making 155 for no reason when the first Gaethje fight was pulled.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody watch Poirier vs Hooker last weekend?

It really was a tremendous fight, a lot of shouts for fight of the year. Two extremely tough guys but Dustin's quality and stamina shone through in the end. Thought it was a good card of fights all in to be honest.

Set up nicely for Fight Island now, Dana leaked the first picture:

Dana White Posts First Picture Of Octagon On The Beach Ahead Of ...

Loving this madness.

Nobody watch Poirier vs Hooker last weekend?
It really was a tremendous fight, a lot of shouts for fight of the year. Two extremely tough guys but Dustin's quality and stamina shone through in the end. Thought it was a good card of fights all in to be honest.
Set up nicely for Fight Island now, Dana leaked the first picture:
9df0e7545ef8c442f56d605e8298ec0a.png%26quality=70%26width=720%26aspectratio=16:9&key=12fe45c44c7ba946266bc31b217bccf2f00e42e8958dade83ee03a0ddc270176
Loving this madness.
I watched it lastnight. Was a fantastic fight and a real shame it wasnt done in front of a crowd. I was also a bit surprised to see two guys going at it like that without the adrenaline of the crowd noise etc.

I was making no attempt to score it, but glad I didnt have to. Either guy could have won it with no complaints from me.

Looking like Masvidal has been called in to replace Burns. What a fight that will be ! 
Usman v Masvidal deserves a massive Vegas crowd tbf so it's a shame its happening now but what a fight it should be. Fancy Usman to grind him out though.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
4 hours ago, GTG_03 said:
Looking like Masvidal has been called in to replace Burns. What a fight that will be ! 

Usman v Masvidal deserves a massive Vegas crowd tbf so it's a shame its happening now but what a fight it should be. Fancy Usman to grind him out though.

aye it is a shame it won't be fought in front of a crowd. Excellent card now though, I hope Masvidal managed to screw a good bit of cash out of uncle Dana.