MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

On 16/02/2020 at 03:44, JamieStevenson said:

Michel Pereira had Diego Sanchez beat...... and then hit him with an illegal knee. Diego wins via DQ.

TWO illegal knees on the main card ffs.

Perhaps my understanding of the rules is wrong but I cannot fathom why the ref left it to Sanchez to decide whether he should continue or not. In the Weaver fight the ref called it off immediately, he didn't even bother seeing if the fighter could continue, just called the illegal knee and DQ'd immediately, which was the right call. Sanchez's head splits open from the illegal knee in his fight and the ref starts asking him if he wants to continue, for me the ref should see the damage caused by the knee and make the decision for him. Sanchez is getting a lot of stick for "quitting" when he's due the win, if the ref had just DQ'd immediately as per the Weaver fight, nobody would be questioning Sanchez.

Perhaps my understanding of the rules is wrong but I cannot fathom why the ref left it to Sanchez to decide whether he should continue or not. In the Weaver fight the ref called it off immediately, he didn't even bother seeing if the fighter could continue, just called the illegal knee and DQ'd immediately, which was the right call. Sanchez's head splits open from the illegal knee in his fight and the ref starts asking him if he wants to continue, for me the ref should see the damage caused by the knee and make the decision for him. Sanchez is getting a lot of stick for "quitting" when he's due the win, if the ref had just DQ'd immediately as per the Weaver fight, nobody would be questioning Sanchez.

Was it not that Weaver was unconscious? Where as Sanchez was lucid, but having sustained the cut.

12 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Was it not that Weaver was unconscious? Where as Sanchez was lucid, but having sustained the cut.

The Weaver knee was worse, but it was clear both fighters were significantly damaged by illegal knees. With Sanchez definitely losing the fight at that point, the ref essentially asked him if he wanted to win or lose. I'm not sure the fighter should be forced to choose that, the ref should call it when it sees the cut IMO - even if he isn't knocked out, having a sizeable gash on your forehead with blood running into your eye gives your opponent an advantage from an illegal blow.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah, she'll get murdered but delighted for her. A pal had said the fight was in Australia but I can't see confirmation of that online.

Makes sense as Volkanovski vs Holloway 2 is rumoured to be the main event of that card. Holloway was soundly beat in that fight so I honestly don't think a rematch was merited. I assume Ortega vs Magomedsharipov for #1 contender will happen at some point. I do have a soft spot for Korean Zombie though, would love him to get another title shot.

2 minutes ago, JamieStevenson said:

Oh jesus. That main event. I had it 2-2 going into the 5th and then that 5th was so close I don't know which way to give it. Good fight, damage done to both.

It was very close but unless that final round went hugely to Felder he wasn’t getting the decision. 

7 minutes ago, JamieStevenson said:

Hooker takes the home split decision. Sucks that someone had to lose that as they were so evenly matched.

Paul Felder hinting at retirement, damn.

Think the takedown swung it but Felder will feel very hard done by. Hooker could barely talk and Felder’s face looked terrible. Times like that I wouldn’t mind seeing a draw  

1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Does anybody really care?

What (if any) was the last UFC title match not to be on PPV?

Happens semi regularly. It was only like 5 months ago for some women's title fights.

I care about Flyweight. That's where a lot of the best talent is imo.

Easily the greatest Women's fight in UFC. Zhang has given JJ a new face. My hunch is 48-47 JJ but it's super tight. 
Couldn't argue about it either way tbf. Agreed on the greatest womens fight ever though was mad. Rematch is a must surely.