MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

I didn't expect Cowboy to present much danger to McGregor although thought he'd pose more than 40 seconds of resistance.

The shoulder shots are not quite the invention that folk are proclaiming - Jon Jones has been using them in the clinch for years -  but I can't recall seeing anyone use them quite as effectively. McGregor definitely looked good, as good as he did since Alvarez.

McGregor is talking about another fight in March which would obviously be a very quick turnaround - but would put him on schedule to fight Khabib. The only viable opponent for that date in my opinion would be Gaethje. Masvidal has already indicated he plans to fight in the summer and surely (please, God) the Khabib - Ferguson fight happens this time. I can't see the UFC pitching McGregor in at short notice against Khabib if Ferguson pulls out - unless it's within the next month.

36 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

I didn't expect Cowboy to present much danger to McGregor although thought he'd pose more than 40 seconds of resistance.

The shoulder shots are not quite the invention that folk are proclaiming - Jon Jones has been using them in the clinch for years -  but I can't recall seeing anyone use them quite as effectively. McGregor definitely looked good, as good as he did since Alvarez.

McGregor is talking about another fight in March which would obviously be a very quick turnaround - but would put him on schedule to fight Khabib. The only viable opponent for that date in my opinion would be Gaethje. Masvidal has already indicated he plans to fight in the summer and surely (please, God) the Khabib - Ferguson fight happens this time. I can't see the UFC pitching McGregor in at short notice against Khabib if Ferguson pulls out - unless it's within the next month.

If they offered Jorge the McGregor fight in March he'd put down his pizza and get in the gym, but I think you're right, they'll keep Conor in case Tony Ferguson trips over a cable or Khabib has a tiramisu again.

As if there wasn’t enough evidence that McGregor is a grade A fanny:

IMG_1901.jpg

He did look good on Saturday, obviously 40 seconds isn’t near enough time to tell what he’s improved or how his gas tank is. Thought he’d finish him somewhere in the middle of the second, but to do it so early was impressive. Movement looked sharp.

Would like to see him at some point this year in with Masvidal, Ferguson or even the trilogy with Diaz at some as they would all be really fun fights. No point in Usman or Khabib though, they’ll just wrestle him to death.

Edited by J_Stewart

As of there wasn’t enough evidence that McGregor is a grade A fanny
IMG_1901.thumb.jpg.ea1e3cae05f277d5d7752efb1fc2f0f5.jpg

He did look good on Saturday, obviously 40 seconds isn’t near enough time to tell what he’s improved or how his gas tank is. Thought he’d finish him somewhere in the middle of the second, but to do it so early was impressive. Movement looked sharp.

Would like to see him at some point this year in with Masvidal, Ferguson or even the trilogy with Diaz at some as they would all be really fun fights. No point in Usman or Khabib though, they’ll just wrestle him to death.
Assume that tweets not real?

3 minutes ago, Stevieda said:
4 hours ago, J_Stewart said:
As of there wasn’t enough evidence that McGregor is a grade A fanny

Assume that tweets not real?

Na, it’s real.

As if there wasn’t enough evidence that McGregor is a grade A fanny:

My prediction stock is low currently, but I will not hide away.

They all beat McGregor. Including Diaz

22 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

My prediction stock is low currently, but I will not hide away.

They all beat McGregor. Including Diaz

I'm interested in your thought process here.

I honestly think Diaz's scar tissue on his face has ruined his potential, he cuts up so easily and McGregor will just attack and run like he did during the second fight. Masvidal is on a good run but I don't think he's as good as Conor standing up. Ferguson I think would be fun as f**k and both guys have a chance, but Tony is fairly good at letting folk hit him, big question whether he can take continued shots from McGregor. Usman and Khabib I'd have as favourites against him, probably fairly big favourites too.

I honestly think Diaz's scar tissue on his face has ruined his potential, he cuts up so easily and McGregor will just attack and run like he did during the second fight. Masvidal is on a good run but I don't think he's as good as Conor standing up. Ferguson I think would be fun as f**k and both guys have a chance, but Tony is fairly good at letting folk hit him, big question whether he can take continued shots from McGregor. Usman and Khabib I'd have as favourites against him, probably fairly big favourites too.

You may be right on the scar tissue, I had forgot about the Masvidal fight... All thing equal I believe that Diaz would carry the weight better and his cardio would tell again. McGregor's shots would be less effective against a guy who was in the arguement against Conor 2nd time round and beat him the first time. I had it for McGregor but by no means was it clear.

Ferguson.... Hes just my type of fighter. Love watching him, love the high pressure style and believe McGregor would fold under that heat.

Masvidal has been clearing out some big names convincingly whilst McGregor has been sat on his arse, and whilst hes not the best technically, I think he is operating at too high a level to be a winnable welterweight fight for Conor. Same goes for Usman who, that point aside, is all wrong for McGregor.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Moonster I should just add that a lot of this is because I am just not buying in to this version of McGregor.

Fair points, I disagree with some of them but that's why we're here. Time will tell if McGregor has changed his ways, and I absolutely agree that his cardio will likely be a problem in this bigger division, but I think all the signs so far are that McGregor has got his act together.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fair points, I disagree with some of them but that's why we're here. Time will tell if McGregor has changed his ways, and I absolutely agree that his cardio will likely be a problem in this bigger division, but I think all the signs so far are that McGregor has got his act together.

I think McGregor at his  very best is a match for Masvidal and Ferguson, and of course Diaz He is not at his best though, and his best was not at this weight. Usman probably takes out any version of McGregor on size/wrestlefuck. 

The only one not at their best is Diaz. Masvidal and Usman are at the top of the game just now. 

Masvidal has been clearing out some big names convincingly whilst McGregor has been sat on his arse, and whilst hes not the best technically, I think he is operating at too high a level to be a winnable welterweight fight for Conor. Same goes for Usman who, that point aside, is all wrong for McGregor.

Two hype jobs & a man that thinks you can bleed your way to a win?

Should Uzman get drawn into a stand up fight, like his last, belt no 3 might well be on its way to the Notorius one!

McGregor has made a f**k load of terrible mistakes these last couple of year and in my opinion he's finally grown up and humbled himself.

He's been a total dickhead too many times recently and finally realised that himself.

This version of McGregor is him trying to win over people again, I think he looks amazing and really excited that he's back.

Couple of good fights coming up in these next couple of month it's looking like a good year.