MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

5 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Nobody moans about a big boxing match being Box Office so unless I’m missing something then that’s just the way of things. 

Not really comparable though, there are far more boxing fans than MMA fans in the UK, yet they charge the same for McGregor vs Cowboy than they do for an AJ boxing match. I don't know much about Boxing TV rights, but for years BT Sport have had the exclusive rights for UFC cards and all we had to do was sign up to BT Sport to get them. It's a huge reason I signed up and now I'm forced to fork out another £20 for all the good cards on top of my subscription. With BT losing their Scottish Football rights, I'm struggling to justify keeping my subscription now, I'd be better off cancelling it and ordering the UFC cards as and when I want them.

11 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Nobody moans about a big boxing match being Box Office so unless I’m missing something then that’s just the way of things. 

I do, tbf. Some of the drivel Sky put on box office is a fucking disgrace. It ought to be reserved for bona fide superfights IMO.

On the general point of PPV I agree but as a personal preference I’d much rather watch a big UFC bout than a big boxing bout, so I’m not gonna moan about it too much. Whatever anyone thinks of McGregor he is certainly ‘box office’ and they have, and will always, capitalise on that. 

Edited by Londonwell

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

Firstly, absolutely fucking thousands of people, maybe hundreds of thousands of people complain about PPV Boxing in the UK, and many, including myself, very often refuse to pay for cards if it's felt they're not worthy of being box office. Beautifully segueing in to the next point, this is not a big fight and not worthy of PPV.

As above, I really like Cerrone, he's a top lad and will fight anyone, but if McGregor has anything  left at all, he'll beat him comfortably, and if he doesn't, then it's time to hang them up / enter the "freak-show exhibition market" full time. Either way, this fight and card are not PPV worthy.

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

Firstly, absolutely fucking thousands of people, maybe hundreds of thousands of people complain about PPV Boxing in the UK, and many, including myself, very often refuse to pay for cards if it's felt they're not worthy of being box office. Beautifully segueing in to the next point, this is not a big fight and not worthy of PPV.

As above, I really like Cerrone, he's a top lad and will fight anyone, but if McGregor has anything  left at all, he'll beat him comfortably, and if he doesn't, then it's time to hang them up / enter the "freak-show exhibition market" full time. Either way, this fight and card are not PPV worthy.

The estimated numbers beg to differ. But each to their own, don’t watch it, I probably will.

Edited by Londonwell

You’ve got to think as part of BT keeping the UFC deal was they will stick a couple McGregor fights and bigger cards on PPV. In that case it doesn’t bother me if we get to watch the rest through BT. I was pretty gutted when it looked like they had binned it a while back. 

You’ve got to think as part of BT keeping the UFC deal was they will stick a couple McGregor fights and bigger cards on PPV. In that case it doesn’t bother me if we get to watch the rest through BT. I was pretty gutted when it looked like they had binned it a while back. 

Didn't bin it, just lost out in the bidding to Eleven, who couldn't back up their side of the deal!