MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

There's been a run of really good UFC events lately, there had to be stinker eventually.

I thought Paul "Cregg" was going to be homered by the judges. I reckon he'll be happier with that result once he's calmed down. On 11 days notice he didn't lose to a genuine legend who was fighting at home.

Craig had the win if he continued to stand in the third. Instead he shot a lazy as f**k takedown which ended with him sort of laying on his back and conceding the round.

A shame as he was the better fighter in there but poor fight IQ led to him throwing it away.

On 28/11/2019 at 20:46, JamieStevenson said:

McGregor fighting Cowboy at WW. Can only assume Conor's choosing the BMF route instead of the Khabib route.

He could do both. If he beats Cowboy he'll probably get a pick of Masvidal or the winner of Tony/Khabib, he could easily have a shot at both belts within 2020 if he wanted.

On 28/11/2019 at 21:30, Bairnardo said:

I think Cowboy will do the job anyway, but Conor would get fucking massacred by Masvidal

I think you're massively under-rating Conor here. He'll be too quick for Cowboy IMO, and I think he matches up well with Masvidal, I certainly wouldn't be predicting a "massacre" either way.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He could do both. If he beats Cowboy he'll probably get a pick of Masvidal or the winner of Tony/Khabib, he could easily have a shot at both belts within 2020 if he wanted.

I think you're massively under-rating Conor here. He'll be too quick for Cowboy IMO, and I think he matches up well with Masvidal, I certainly wouldn't be predicting a "massacre" either way.

The old Conor might have been. Obviously I could be wildly wrong (the fun of predictions) but I think Conor is finished. Whilst Masvidal has been starching folk on a real good run through the division, Conor has been sat on his hole since getting smashed by Khabib, on the deck and on his feet. 

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The old Conor might have been. Obviously I could be wildly wrong (the fun of predictions) but I think Conor is finished. Whilst Masvidal has been starching folk on a real good run through the division, Conor has been sat on his hole since getting smashed by Khabib, on the deck and on his feet. 

I think Conor lost the plot, no doubt, but I think there are signs he's realised that he lost his focus. His legacy is at stake now, a loss to Cowboy and his career is pretty much over for MMA - I think that alone will focus him in training and hopefully keep him away from punching old men in pubs. Maybe he will be finished, but I get a feeling we'll see a different McGregor in January to the one who walked in there to face Khabib.

I think Conor lost the plot, no doubt, but I think there are signs he's realised that he lost his focus. His legacy is at stake now, a loss to Cowboy and his career is pretty much over for MMA - I think that alone will focus him in training and hopefully keep him away from punching old men in pubs. Maybe he will be finished, but I get a feeling we'll see a different McGregor in January to the one who walked in there to face Khabib.
I have written fighters off in similar circumstances before and been wrong (Notably Tyson Fury).

That said, I do think Conors future lies on other folks highlight reels.

Championship fights.

NUNES - she won when she was suspect with fitness. No way she loses now

VOLKANOVSKI - i say this with a gun to my head and a heavy heart. I love max but in his fight with poirier he showed how he struggeled with power an no other featherweight is as powerfull.

Covington. - so close. I have this as muscle vs lungs. And am edging lungs with a gun to my head.