MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Press Conference on Friday with all fighters of big upcoming cards, being billed as a special 25 year press conference. You've got to think they'll announce Khabib vs Conor there. Both guys are in the US.

Connors lawyer pretty much spilled the beans in a tweet yesterday that he has since deleted

He tweeted he had his flights to Vegas booked in October

Don’t know how anyone who watched their TUF can side with Garbrandt. Guy was a bully and a complete thug.

Was never a fan of Dillashaw previously but nothing pleased me more in MMA recently than that shot of him screaming in Cody’s defeated face and Cody meekly accepting it on the final buzzer of the last fight as they both knew the preceding 25 minutes had been an utter schooling.

Garbrandt has certainly shown much more humility since I’ll give him that, but more of the same for me please.

4 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

TJ screaming in Cody’s face right after winning is one of my favourite ever MMA moments. 

Agree about the TUF stuff.

Aye I agree.

Don't get me wrong, it was obviously a bit of a dick move... But it was just pure,  unadulterated, honest passion and tbh part of why I love this sport so much.

I've always felt TJ and Cody is 50/50. The first time TJ was 6/4 or something and I saw value in that and won money. This time Cody is the underdog, so I see value in that and have bet him.

Terrible card in fairness. Gonna have a couple of drinks and build a joint and basically wait on the last 3 fights.

Speaking of which, anyone fancy Cub?  Moicano seems like the real deal eh? 

Johnson v Cejudo was tremendous. I had it 3-2 Mighty Mouse, but could easily see it the other way. The wrestling was obviously the difference, and with the size of Cejudo’s back alone he looked about two weight classes bigger than Johnson, so wouldn’t see any issues with him moving up. Hell of a fight, and would love to see a rematch of the fight with Dillashaw one doesn’t happen.

TJ is a wee fucking rat, but he’s a hell of a fighter. Garbrandt left himself far, far too open trying to find the finish, and Dillashaw’s tight counters were just easing through. Probably could have been stopped earlier as Garbrandt was all over the shop for the minute before it was stopped.

Moicano looked tremendous against Cub. Really good prospect.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Tony Ferguson is back.

Fighting Pettis on the Khabib v Conor card. He's a backup if either pull out.

Some effort to get back so soon from that horrific injury. His leg after surgery looked like he'd been in a car crash.

Tony is one of my favourites. Yes, he's a bit of a strange guy but I love watching him fight. 10 fight win streak also.

Not trying to be a keyboard doctor but I've gotta think his knee can't be 100% right? I'm sure he's got good people around him and it feels fine but Pettis is gonna be hunting that knee from the get go.

Ferguson is also one of my favourites. I actually think he's the best LW in the world. He's a much more complete fighter than Conor and Khabib and he's got no quit in him at all. We've seen Conor fold when the going gets tough and I wouldn't be surprised if Khabib was the same.

At 34 and with the injuries I question how much longer at the top he's got. Far from writing him off and he's a cardio machine but time waits for no man.

Not trying to be a keyboard doctor but I've gotta think his knee can't be 100% right? I'm sure he's got good people around him and it feels fine but Pettis is gonna be hunting that knee from the get go.
Ferguson is also one of my favourites. I actually think he's the best LW in the world. He's a much more complete fighter than Conor and Khabib and he's got no quit in him at all. We've seen Conor fold when the going gets tough and I wouldn't be surprised if Khabib was the same.
At 34 and with the injuries I question how much longer at the top he's got. Far from writing him off and he's a cardio machine but time waits for no man.

Ferguson always reminds me of Raul. He’s not absolutely amazing (by that I mean khabib’s wrestling, McGregor’s straight left, etc) at anything, but he’s probably an 8 out of 10 in everything. Complete fighter as you say.

Not sure what you’re basing the Khabib quit on though, been fighting bears since he was like 4 years old, not convinced there’s much quit in him, tbh.

3 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Ferguson always reminds me of Raul. He’s not absolutely amazing (by that I mean khabib’s wrestling, McGregor’s straight left, etc) at anything, but he’s probably an 8 out of 10 in everything. Complete fighter as you say.

Not sure what you’re basing the Khabib quit on though, been fighting bears since he was like 4 years old, not convinced there’s much quit in him, tbh.

Good analogy.

I just said I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for Khabib. He's never really been hurt/put in danger. The Tibau fight was his toughest and most places scored it for Tibau but it was just 15 minutes of Khabib trying and failing to take him down. He's never been rocked... Before Nate cracked him with that 1-2 in the first fight nobody would have said Conor had quit in him but it's definitely there.

Khabib dominates and has never had to really dig deep, much his like challenger for the belt. This is why I think Tony is the best. Could see him absolutely taking over in the later rounds in a fight against either of the other two tbh.