What's good on Radio 4?

Guest Kincardine

• 10 months later...

Must have been pished a few nights ago and ordered At The Existentialist Cafe by Sarah Bakewell. Got woken early this morning by the postman with it and it's got a big sticker on it saying "As read on BBC Radio 4".  Better be fucking good, it's a hardback, fcuk knows what I paid for it. 

Must have been pished a few nights ago and ordered At The Existentialist Cafe by Sarah Bakewell. Got woken early this morning by the postman with it and it's got a big sticker on it saying "As read on BBC Radio 4".  Better be fucking good, it's a hardback, fcuk knows what I paid for it. 

feeling a bit of a Kant now are we? 

Just clocked this thread. Radion 4 is now my station of choice. anyone who listens to comercial radio is an idiot.

I particularly enjoy

In and Outh of the Kitchen (not as good when transferred to BBC4 a few months back)

The Film Programme

John Finnemore's souvenir programme

From our own correspondant

Mark Steel's in town

And various other documentaries.

I like Francine's cutting one line reviews at the end of interviews etc. The Guardian's film podcast is okay too - grown on me a bit. Shorter, daily offerings. 

There's a series called Mastertapes - has the odd decent guest/performer talking about their songwriting and doing a few live versions.

More or Less is my favourite, not sure when it's on, I usually catch it randomly on the World Service in the middle of the night. It cuts through dodgy statistics like a knife through butter.

• 4 months later...
On 10/25/2012 at 08:49, drs said:

The Archers,

is Lizzie goign to tup Ifty behind Kirstys back?

is emma going to resort to theft?

what has happened to Tony, Pat and Helen?

have Joes teeth really gone into the cider?

Bumping this.  The jury is out.  Will Helen be found guilty?

16 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Bumping this.  The jury is out.  Will Helen be found guilty?

No.

I'm not sure how they got from the deliberation we heard to that verdict - The Bigoted Ghost of Nigel had her as guilty, Jack the Lad twat had her as guilty, Nigel Havers had her as guilty, Gobby lady had her as guilty, whilst Miss Marple, The Pretty One, the quiet one and the Sensitive One had her as not guilty. I wonder what the other 3 thought?

....they did seem rather set in their ways, are we supposed to infer that that they decided to go with their verdict after the Havers rant?

I can see why Gobby Lady and Jack the Twat would change their mind during the discussions, especially as the stories of the jurors came out but the other two seemed too set in their ways to change course.

And its a shame that in death Nigel has become such a bigoted twat.

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2012 at 08:33, wunfellaff said:

'Meet David Sedaris' on a Sunday night is hilarious.

He sounds like Elaine Strich but seems quite a youngish guy going by the pictures, and it is just a long monologue each week but it is comedy genius.

Saw him live in Edinburgh last year, he told a story that would have got him pulled off Radio 4 where the punch line was his Dad admitting in front of the whole family to fisting his Mum in response to a question from David's nephew.

On 12/09/2016 at 11:57, drs said:

No.

I'm not sure how they got from the deliberation we heard to that verdict - The Bigoted Ghost of Nigel had her as guilty, Jack the Lad twat had her as guilty, Nigel Havers had her as guilty, Gobby lady had her as guilty, whilst Miss Marple, The Pretty One, the quiet one and the Sensitive One had her as not guilty. I wonder what the other 3 thought?

....they did seem rather set in their ways, are we supposed to infer that that they decided to go with their verdict after the Havers rant?

I can see why Gobby Lady and Jack the Twat would change their mind during the discussions, especially as the stories of the jurors came out but the other two seemed too set in their ways to change course.

And its a shame that in death Nigel has become such a bigoted twat.

It was quite a severe 180 for most of those jurors. Now it's the custody case. If I was the judge I'd be asking why Henry sounds a bit retarded at 5 years old.

20 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

It was quite a severe 180 for most of those jurors. Now it's the custody case. If I was the judge I'd be asking why Henry sounds a bit retarded at 5 years old.

Henwey sounds like an absolute twat and not like any 5 yo I've ever known.

Still, Helen has custody and The Pantomime Villain has supervised contact with The Jail Baby. Plus Tom wants his Nat King.

Just another day in Ambridge!

All of the weans in Ambridge sound odd, Brians b*****d had a complete accent change overnight and George was another who suffered from the sounding like a toddler syndrome until he was about 10.

Apparently the actress who plays Helen has never met "Henry" as all his scenes are recorded separately and then edited in.

The new editor starts next week so we should be getting New Ambridge in the new year, be interesting to see what they do. SOC came in and relegated characters such as Mike, Will and Kathy to virtually non speaking roles whilst Chris, Vicki, Nic and Jamie appear to have gone silent and also losing Brenda and Tiger (and thankfully ditching Daryl as soon as possible with one line of thrown away dialogue in an episode). Always fun when the new editor to comes in and see who they like and who they clearly aren't interested in - I liked Nic and Mike so hope they'll be back but I wouldn't be upset if the new broom sent Alice and Chris away and got rid of Carol, her daughter and Pip. I never understood why when he was recasting SOC never recast Will. Will is my pet hate voice in the show, he's just so monotonous no matter what he is trying to say.

Away from Ambridge - the final of Counterpoint got me thinking, aside from the classical music stuff I reckon I could make a decent stab at a run in the competition. The Grand Final and they had a round about actors from Carry On films singing, would have been on that like a rash. Mind you I always think the same when listening to Brain of Britain.

Edited by drs

Most things on Radio 4 are worth a listen.

The Food Programme

The Infinite Monkey Cage

A Good Read

The Media Show

Feedback

In Our Time

From Our Own Correspondant

THe Now Show

The News Quiz

Today and PM

There are a few shows that are poor. Women's Hour is outdated and should be scrapped. Late Night Women's Hour is probably more relevent and there should be an equivalent late night Men's Hour to deal with the kind of health and social interests of men. Saturday Live is also utterly garbage, although the inherritance tracks segment is a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...