What's good on Radio 4?

Guest Kincardine

Guest Kincardine

'Meet David Sedaris' on a Sunday night is hilarious.

He sounds like Elaine Strich but seems quite a youngish guy going by the pictures, and it is just a long monologue each week but it is comedy genius.

I agree that he sounds young - but is actually 4 years older than me. He's 56. He also dispels the myth that Americans don't do irony. Very wry and witty guy.

Now, it's not on at the moment but 'More or Less' presented by Tim Harford is one of the best programmes on radio or TV. The concept it simple: He examines public statistics and tries to see if they stand up to scrutiny. This may sound dull and arid but makes for good listening.

His piece on the selling-off of school playing fields is very clever. You can listen to it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lv7yn

Having listened to More or Less for a few years I'm now an absolute sceptic when I hear any politician regurgitate a statistical claim and if they can't justify their statement and cite sources and evidence then I dismiss it. They are either ignorant or lying b*****ds.

Guest Kincardine

Celebs undertake tasks that they have never done before - Ian Hislop buys a pair of jeans and plays GTA, Frank Skinner eats jugged hare etc that sort of thing. The quality depends on how funny the guest is and how interesting their "never done" things are.

The genius of Radio as a medium is that we don't need visuals to make us squirm with embarrassment.

Hislop straining to get his fat gut and short legs in to a pair of 501s at the age of 52 for the first time is like a 20-something virgin trying to get to grips with a condom whilst trying to look cool and maintaining foreplay.

Some things are just better to the imagination that is Radio!

The genius of Radio as a medium is that we don't need visuals to make us squirm with embarrassment.

Hislop straining to get his fat gut and short legs in to a pair of 501s at the age of 52 for the first time is like a 20-something virgin trying to get to grips with a condom whilst trying to look cool and maintaining foreplay.

The pictures are better!

Guest Kincardine

The pictures are better!

The pictures are better!

:) You're forgetting the power of the imagination, though.

I imagine Hislop wearing traditional-style blue and white striped boxers made from shirting fabric and with a button-front and a thoroughly-ample gusset under his new-found jeans. The sort of garment I wore in the late 80s though I'm much more lithe than he.

You may, though, imagine him donning a gold-lame codpiece with some diamanté adornments down the front.

Radio's beauty is that we can both laugh at either image. TV, in comparison, is one-dimensional.

:) You're forgetting the power of the imagination, though.

I imagine Hislop wearing traditional-style blue and white striped boxers made from shirting fabric and with a button-front and a thoroughly-ample gusset under his new-found jeans. The sort of garment I wore in the late 80s though I'm much more lithe than he.

You may, though, imagine him donning a gold-lame codpiece with some diamanté adornments down the front.

Radio's beauty is that we can both laugh at either image. TV, in comparison, is one-dimensional.

I was agreeing with you - the pictures are better on radio!

Exactly.

There is no way Samantha's beauty can possibly live up to how I imagine her sitting on Humph's (and subsequently Jack's) right hand.

Guest Kincardine

I was agreeing with you - the pictures are better on radio!

Actually I was wondering about your comment - and clearly I misread it. I apologise. I had visions of you taking long-range shots with your telephoto lens of Hislop in the changing room at The Levi Store and selling said images to Closer magazine.

Actually I was wondering about your comment - and clearly I misread it. I apologise. I had visions of you taking long-range shots with your telephoto lens of Hislop in the changing room at The Levi Store and selling said images to Closer magazine.

It's an old maxim - I don't claim the credit!

http://jetpacksandsuch.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/radio-where-pictures-are-better.html#!/2011/06/radio-where-pictures-are-better.html

Guest Kincardine

There is no way Samantha's beauty can possibly live up to how I imagine her sitting on Humph's (and subsequently Jack's) right hand.

See? The is why I love Radio. Samantha is not a looker at all. She's simply a wee dirty minx - and all the better for it!

Sven, though, has been a typical Swedish male and taken a year's paternity leave whilst his balls-breaking partner has returned to her job in a major Stockholm firm of solicitors.

Everything except Women's Hour and Gardener's Question Time. I concur about In Our Time

I actually like Women's Hour. I admire Jenny Murray: intelligent, inquisitive, genuinely curious. She and Jane Garvie always have a different angle to look at subjects, which I find enriching. I'm not a gardener, so don't listen to GQT. In Our Time is often over my head, but I like Melvyn Bragg, and usually have it on, though the egghead guests may as well be speaking Greek, most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Radio 4 is brilliant. Women's Hour is great, in my opinion, although suspect I'll be in a minority on this site. The Infinite Monkey Cage is great, the comedy shows are great and some of the afternoon plays are excellent. I also like Feedback.

Guest Kincardine

Radio 4 is brilliant. Women's Hour is great, in my opinion, although suspect I'll be in a minority on this site. The Infinite Monkey Cage is great, the comedy shows are great and some of the afternoon plays are excellent. I also like Feedback.

Not from me. I think Women's Hour is just an excellent program.

Also, folk should listen to Material World this week. Excellent debate regarding fossil vs biomass fuels.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qyyb

Guest Kincardine

The excellent More or Less is back at 5.30 today.

One of the things being examined is Fergie-time. Does Fergie-time exist? Do Manchester United get more injury time than other top teams when they're drawing or behind?

Guest Kincardine

Count Arthur Strongs Radio Show is one of my favourites. Brilliant bumbling comedy, mixed up words and snootiness. "It's not rocket salad..."

:lol:

That's a brilliant quote.

I was just coming on to post about More or Less today - the Fergie time bit was really really interesting :)

Reina. Quite agree. Interesting analysis. However, we shan't post More or Less's conclusions on Fergie Time, shall we?

Let the fuckers listen for themselves. Deal?

Edited by Kincardine