P&B's Top 30 Electronic Music Albums

Colin M

As a product of the 90's the only stuff i listen to from that era are the big big hitters (i.e prodigy, aphex twin, underworld etc..) and the global underground/renaissance comps (that I couldn't vote for :(). As much as i like Pryda, quite surprised it got in.

Hoping to pick up a few good titles from this poll. Gave big bud a listen and sounds pretty decent.

As a product of the 90's the only stuff i listen to from that era are the big big hitters (i.e prodigy, aphex twin, underworld etc..) and the global underground/renaissance comps (that I couldn't vote for :(). As much as i like Pryda, quite surprised it got in.

Hoping to pick up a few good titles from this poll. Gave big bud a listen and sounds pretty decent.

Without giving too much away, a number one vote for an album got it into the list. Those that tied for 25th place were all somebody's favourite but not voted by anyone else. I think that works quite well as it makes the list a bit more diverse :)

I usually treat those who plump for safe, predictable dad-rock predictability with a snobbish disdain.

I'm quickly realising that that is exactly what I've done with my picks for this poll :lol:

I'm loving the education this is about to give me ;) I've flirted with a few genres, mostly on compliations, but it looks like I'll be on a serious mission by the time this poll concludes.

Loving your work Colin.

R-150-3168367-1318856763.jpeg

21=

Utah Saints

Utah Saints

(1993)

Utah Saints! U-U-U-Utah Saints! To those of us who grew up in the early 90s, it's impossible to hear the name of Michael Stipe's favourite dance act (now there's an endorsement) without reacting in this manner. “The first stadium house band” according to Bill Drummond, the Saints were unashamedly pop and their music became briefly ubiquitous as a result.

The big hits are all here – pilfering pop divas of the day to marvellous effect. Kate Bush and Annie Lennox are stuffed into the sampler and spat out alongside monster piano and rock riffs. Something Good, What Can You Do For Me and I Want You exploded onto the pop charts way back then, making everything else seem monochrome in comparison.

The rest of the album is mostly more of the same, and that's no bad thing. New Gold Dream-81-82-83-84, Believe In Me, Too Much To Swallow... in fact damn near every track is full of the joy of pop. Soulution, States Of Mind and Trance Atlantic Glide are relatively sombre in comparison, and it's probably just as well given the energy and excitement on display elsewhere.

Utah Saints should still serve as a reminder to many a po-faced purist how exciting pop music can be. I'm off to listen to Something Good again......

Yaassss! First of my list to make it in. This album is just a joyous nostalgia trip for me. I remember passing my driving test and tearing about in my dads motor blaring this out (on cassette!) at full volume. As you say, it's unashamedly pop, yet I struggle to think of tunes that make me want to dance more.

Edited by Mambostaggie

R-150-865-1231083049.jpeg

21=

Orbital

The Brown Album

(1993)

The brothers Hartnoll were among the best of the 90s explosion of electronic artists, developing their music from their rave and techno roots from the late 80s scene to more accomplished electronic listening music, and eventually indie friendly quirky hit and miss endeavours. I can barely think though of a greater journey of melodic techno hooks than their terrific second album.

I still get spine tingles from the opening and bass kicking in of Lush 3.1, and from there on in we're on a fantastic journey through many of Orbital's greatest moments. Impact (The Earth Is Burning) is forever one of the highlights of their live sets, and still sounds every bit as essential here.

The whole album is relentless in its forward propulsion through track after track of classic peak time joyful dance music. Remind brings the drama while the 909 kicks and snares and layered riffs of Monday never seem to tire.

The live version of blissful climax Halcyon+on+on has become more famous for its hands in the air samples of Bon Jovi and Belinda Carlisle, but here it's still in all it's original glory, unadorned by such silliness. It's hard to believe that it's 20 years since this album was released - even more so by the fact that it doesn't seem to have dated at all. I'll be delighted if Orbital are still around for another 20 years playing this music to ever ageing disciples like me.

Edited by Colin M

Number 1 on my list. I honestly thought this would be higher. This epitomises the word album. Very rarely have I bought an album that I would listen to from start to finish without skipping tracks. Halcyon is probably one of my favourite ever tracks. Listening to this is taking a journey through intelligent electronica of the 90's. anyone who hasn't heard it, get it listened to! As Colin mentioned, Lush and impact are simply outstanding pieces of music.

R-150-2097940-1263911883.jpeg

Can

Tago Mago

(1971)

One of my favourite things about Tago Mago era Can is that new vocalist Damo Suzuki was picked up by the band when spotted busking. It conjures up a brilliant picture of the experimental scene in Germany at that time where such a thing might be possible. The notion that someone might pick up a busker while wandering down Sauchiehall Street and convert him into the frontman for a pioneering and hugely influential experimental rock troupe seems impossible. Not in 1971 Munich though!

For those who haven't yet discovered the joy of Can, Tago Mago is definitely the place to start and arguably their most towering achievement. In parallel to the tape editing approach of Miles Davis and Teo Macero (the music here isn't a million miles from the glorious On The Corner) and the sound effect happy Jamaican dub pioneers, Tago Mago sees them using studio equipment as part of the composition process, and creating some mind bending and sometimes baffling music as a result.

The album is split in two (it was released as a double LP) - the first part is more conventional by today's standards, tight, funk-fulled grooves powered by Jaki Liebezeit's proto-breakbeat drumming, with sprinklings of effects often accompanying Damo's wild frontman lyrics. The influence on subsequent electronic music is clear throughout. Liebezeit is relentless throughout the 18 minutes of Halleluwah while the backwards vocals and synth drones on Oh Yeah are terrific. Kid A fans, start here. It's still rock music though, with plenty of loose jamming and chiming guitar riffs that aren't a million miles from Crazy Horse at their best.

The second half is even more notable for its use of electronics and it goes further out there than any nominal rock band ever have. Holger Czukay was let loose to indulge his tape loop and edit experiments and on Aumgn he creates an ever shifting tapestry of weird effects, drones and noises, taking this deep into avant garde territory and messing with your mind. Peking O goes even further out with some crazy Improv, Suzuki seemingly involved in a call and response session with a drum machine that the others try to program to play as fast as possible. It's still crazy sounding and out there today, so spare a thought for the poor hippies exposed to it at the time.

Edited by Colin M

R-150-65455-1165925239.jpeg

21=

Carl Craig

More Songs About Food And Revolutionary Art

(1997)

Among the most celebrated of Detroit's supposed "second wave" of techno artists, Carl Craig has had an amazing career with a huge back catalogue ripe for discovery. From his 69 guise to Paperclip People to his amazing remixes, he has treats a plenty that deserve a wider audience. More Songs was his second album under his own name, and gathered new and old tracks, several of which are up there with his best and the best of all Detroit techno.

Craig is never slow to serve up chunks of melody, and the tuneful acid riff of Televised Green Smoke sits atop a lush Detroit offering. We then have the cinematic Blade Runner-esque Goodbye World and slo-mo hip-hop beats of Red Lights carrying us towards the piano led tech-house of Butterfly. This album sees Craig provide a varied display of his exceptional musical gifts, and it sounds every bit as good today as it did back then.

The undoubted peak of the record though comes with two of Craig's classic and best known tracks – the looped vocal sample and thumping beats of Dominas are joined by an amazing bassline and those trademark synths, before the utterly magnificent At Les comes in with its fluttering riffs, bed of synth pads and sprightly breakbeats. This is emotional machine music at its best from an absolute master and genius of electronic music. At Les is up there with the best music of any genre for this listener, and this album is worth the admission price just to hear it alone.

For all his great music since, I'm dying to hear another Carl Craig album – if it's even half as good as this collection of amazing music, it'll be well worth the wait.

Superb write up Colin.

This was my #1. Carl Craig - for me - is the most talented man in electronic music. It's labelled Detroit Techno but is so much more, dripping with soul, colour and character.

OK, so that's the Orbital and Bjork albums that were on my provisional top 15 making an appearance.

This list seems so diverse. I'm slowly making inroads into the whole German Electronica stuff off the back of an excellent compilation I picked up recently. Can and Neu! being some of the immediate standout acts on it.

It's gonna cost me a fortune. SANTA!