P&B's Top 30 Electronic Music Albums

Colin M

Due to popular demand (3 people) let's see if we can make this work while there is such a thirst for these polls. If we are successful then it may start a spate of genre polls across the forum. If not then we can let it slip down the pages of topics and never speak of it again.

If we get 20 people then I would consider this a success. If you are interested at all I would urge you to participate! If the response is strong and we can do 50, then that will be amazing.

The description of "Electronic Music" is deliberately broad - I will leave it to your discretion what to include. As a general guide, if the music is predominately or wholly made using electronic equipment, then count it in. If the use of electronics is a notable facet of the music, count it in. Electronic Music is often described in genres such as Techno, House, Electro, Ambient, Trance, Dubstep, Jungle/Drum and Bass... but there are plenty of examples in Pop and Rock that would also meet the description. Do not discount something if you think it fits.

As an example, if you wanted to include Kanye West's "808s and Heartbreaks" then I would say, that fits. If you wanted to include Kanye West's "The College Dropout" then despite the fact electronics were no doubt used to make it, they are not a particularly prominent feature of the record. By all means argue the case, debate is what the thread will be all about, along with mystery and sneering.

The general idea is patented by DomDom and executed to a fine art by groaninjock, and therefore there is little need to change the plan. So here is some shameless copy and pasting with some tweaking to the rules.

Here's the idea...

* Send me a PM on here with your top 10 electronic music albums of all time, in the correct order.

* Don't send any more or less than 10. That'll null the vote for me. The top album gets 10 points and bottom gets 1 and everything in between works the same way.

* Call your message "Top 10 Electronic Albums" so that I can easily see what's coming in.

* I'll give you just over two weeks to send the lists. Should give enough time. So that means 02/11 closing date on this bad boy. This date may be flexible

* Try and give reasons so as I can put them in the review. Not a necessity, but it makes my job easier, especially if I haven't actually heard the albums in question.

* No tactical voting. Don't vote for something because you think everyone else will vote for it. If something is your favourite, vote for it.

* Doesn't matter what reasons. Whether you're going the "best" or "favourite" route, just go with what ya want.

* Studio and "live" albums only - no compilations.

Right, that should be as clear as it can be! Take part!

So by the criteria, I could probably include some of the later Massive Attack albums (Mezzanine onwards?) but not Blue Lines?

I would say go with your gut. Blue Lines is fairly ambiguous, the music is predominantly sample based but I don't first think of it as "electronic music". The overall sound of it is more "organic". If enough people voted it into the 30/50 then I'd be happy to include, but I personally won't vote for it, because it doesn't fit for me.

It's like the hip-hop question - most of the key hiphop albums are musically constructed using electronic equipment, but I wouldn't see them as seeming to be "electronic music", falling more readily into the wide ranging hip-hop category. But then, something like DJ Shadow's Endtroducing would fall easily into both.

I would say go with your gut. Blue Lines is fairly ambiguous, the music is predominantly sample based but I don't first think of it as "electronic music". The overall sound of it is more "organic". If enough people voted it into the 30/50 then I'd be happy to include, but I personally won't vote for it, because it doesn't fit for me.

It's like the hip-hop question - most of the key hiphop albums are musically constructed using electronic equipment, but I wouldn't see them as seeming to be "electronic music", falling more readily into the wide ranging hip-hop category. But then, something like DJ Shadow's Endtroducing would fall easily into both.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Going to be a tough one!

Also see The Beastie Boys.

Yeah, I'm going to steer clear of any hiphop or related, unless I think it is overwhelmingly notable for sounding electronic. That's largely because if this is a hit, I'll do a Hip-Hop one too at a later date.

I've got a shortlist of 15 to work with, I am going to enjoy listening to some of them to then make the hard choices. Sure I'll think of something else along the way.

Initial interest seems good here so hopefully we can get a good response.

I had 3 electronic albums in my overall Top 10, and I suppose in theory they should be my top 3 in this poll. As I go through other albums though, I don't know if they will be.

I've had a nomination list through already and every album on it is a belter. Looking forward to getting more.

Just realised how difficult this is - a lot of the producers that have been most influential on me tend to only release singles/EPs rather than albums!

That does make it harder, easy to think of so many amazing tunes and releases but it feels like an album list might be missing out on so much. Similar to artists whose body of work as a whole is great but it's hard to think of one album that is better than all the rest (hello Autechre). Need to be harsh and think about whether you skip tracks!